DD Frontline hang angle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Willcurrie

Aug 2, 2015
Argyll
I've been waiting for a woodsman x to arrive but there have been some delays, being impatient I've temporarily got hold of a dd Frontline and went out for my first nights hang. The dd has been tweaked so that there is a continuous loop through both channels and a carabiner onto whoopie then tree straps.I had a good night out and was fairly comfortable but found the hammock a touch tight on my shoulders (slightly, maybe normal) and a calf ridge that again was only slightly annoying.

20160623_202749-01_PerfectlyClear-1024x576.jpg

Overall I slept well and woke up with no aches, pains or stiffness. The suspension was set at 3 degree and I'm about 5'10 and 13 stone. This is a common hammock and I'd like feedback on any tweaks to improve my overall sleeping comfort.

I will be setting the foot end higher than the head end next time, I think setting up level was a rookie mistake.

Advice greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20160623_202749-01_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    20160623_202749-01_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 37

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
I am both shorter and heavier then the OP and set mine to hang very flat, certainly nowhere near the 30 odd degrees some people say. I just can not get on with having my head lower than my feet. In fact I have had both a bit of slip at head and feet end. When the feet end slipped and I found my self slipping to the bottom I shifted around and went back to sleep. When the head end moved I had to get out and adjust the hang. We are not talking a big amount of slip and in fact it could of been the tree huggers stretching unevenly but when I awoke to feel head down it HAD to be fixed.

As to the shoulder thing, I think because I am shorter than most (5ft 4in) I do not find the sides too tight. I have no problem tucking my sleeping bag ( used as a Quilt ) over and under my shoulders.

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Here's my opinion. I'm 6ft 17st. I have never worried about angles or tightness. I believe there is no wrong or right way but there is a right way for you. My way might not suit you. Personally I wouldn't set the foot end a foot higher. Each hang is different, thickness of tree, distance between each end can all make a difference. I use a Dd ultralight with tree straps and whoopie slings. I like to have both ends level and slightly loose. I tend to sleep at an angle with one foot resting on the edge. Everyone is different and with more and more use you'll find the best way for you. I agree with Hammock- man higher at the foot end is worse than the other way around.

Willcurrie

Aug 2, 2015
Argyll
Thanks gust I'm getting the idea that the dd wants to be hung with a reasonably flat angle on the suspension from what you are saying, I will try that out next time I'm out next week.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
The way the dd's are cut means they are always likely to pinch the shoulders a bit, as they aren't cut asymmetrically like many others. They can be reasonably comfortable though if strung pretty tight and flat, but you'll likely still struggle if anything like broad shoulders and/or taller which means your shoulders are nearer to the narrowing gathered end.

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
I'm another hammocker who prefers to be slightly head low - it takes the pressure off your legs. Lie with your head off to one side of the centre line, legs on the other so you have a diagonal position. This should mean you lie fairly flat across the hammock. Now shift your upper body left or right a little - you'll feel a tight band of material under your body and I shift myself a little so the tight band moves under my body and my legs drop off a little into a loose area. It's one of those things you feel - try it and it should be self explanatory. This gives me the perfect lay.
Obviously tweak the length the lines to give you enough sag - too tight might be "flatter" but it does mean the sides of the hammock squeeze you more. And a wider hammock makes for a more relaxed lay - I have TW hammocks with a 1.8m width and it makes a difference.
Hope this helps
Phil

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
The thirty degree hang angle is not for comfort. It is for safety and to reduce damage to the trees. At 30 deg, the pull on each suspension half is your body weight. That is when you are stationary. Every time you move, wriggle or whatever, the strain can easily double or treble. At 15 deg, the stationary stress is 185% of your body weight. T 10 deg it approaches 3 times your body weight. Add a safety margin of 4 or 5 depending on how much you want to risk breaking your spine. Typical 25 mm polyester tree straps and most commercially available whoopie slings have a breaking strain of about 700 Kg. I would suggest that it would not be wise to deviate by much from the recommended 30 degree hang angle. BTW, Almost all commercially available hammocks are NOT cut, or gathered, asymmetrically. The asymmetry is induced by lying diagonally in the hammock.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
The thirty degree hang angle is not for comfort. It is for safety and to reduce damage to the trees. At 30 deg, the pull on each suspension half is your body weight. That is when you are stationary. Every time you move, wriggle or whatever, the strain can easily double or treble. At 15 deg, the stationary stress is 185% of your body weight. T 10 deg it approaches 3 times your body weight. Add a safety margin of 4 or 5 depending on how much you want to risk breaking your spine. Typical 25 mm polyester tree straps and most commercially available whoopie slings have a breaking strain of about 700 Kg. I would suggest that it would not be wise to deviate by much from the recommended 30 degree hang angle. BTW, Almost all commercially available hammocks are NOT cut, or gathered, asymmetrically. The asymmetry is induced by lying diagonally in the hammock.

That's the info I've found as well. Being a 28 stoner and 6'4" I def don't want anything to break so use seatbelts as straps and a double hammock (no 30º doesn't pull the trees over)

GadgetUK437

Forager
Aug 8, 2010
North Devon
At 30 deg, the pull on each suspension half is your body weight.
No, it's 100% of your bodyweight.
Have a look at this hang calculator I made.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71294434/Hammock/HammockHangCalculator001.xlsx

2016-06-30.png

--
Gadget.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE