DD Camping Hammock vs TW Hammocks Ultralight XL vs ???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayfarer

Dec 31, 2015
Southampton
I'm looking for my first hammock for summer camping and I'm torn between the DD camping hammock and the TW hammocks ultralight XL and Hornet. I mainly plan to use them in spring summer and early autumn paired with a DD 3x3 tarp.

Any advice or help choosing between them would be greatly appreciated, budget is about £30 max.

Last edited:

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
I do like the TW XL - the extra length really does make it more comfortable. Made in the UK, too, so worth supporting :)
I have a Hornet too, when the bugs are about!
Phil

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Another vote for Tenth Wonder here. I'm sure they both are good hammocks but tw tend to be that bit wider than DD, for that all important diagonal lay.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I've got a TW UL XXL @ 1.8x2,8m. I see the XL is the same length @ 2.8m. IMO a 3m long tarp won't be long enough to give adequate cover at the ends - maybe ok on a diagonal tarp setup but personally I like to have side cover when there's a possibility of heavy rain [UK!]. I got the TW UL Sargasso tarp [don't know if they do this one anymore - haven't seen it on the website] and at 3.9m long it is better for cover at the ends but even a touch longer wouldn't be too bad - it's nice to have plenty of room either end of the hammock to stand in / hang stuff under cover.

All of my TW hammocks have been superb my first bought 2012 IIRC is still going strong so build quality is good - although I have no other makes of hammocks so I have nothing else to compare with.

Aug 2, 2016
Berkshire
So i'm also trying to get a cheap and lightweight hammock setup together at the moment.

I got this hammock from amazon for £15 as the box had been opened. It's 10 and a half foot so quite a bit longer than the other ones mentioned here. I am happy with this though as I have consistently read that 11ft is the sweet spot for comfort. It comes with some really heavy rope and biners but have just ordered some amsteel from DD Hammocks to make my own whoopies and soft shackles so that will bring down the weight a lot.

I think the hammock itself without attachments weighs around 610 grams.

At the moment i'm also looking at the TW Ultralight tent which, while maybe a little shorter than I would like, looks like an absolutely steal for ~£24.

Wayfarer

Dec 31, 2015
Southampton
Ended up going for a TW and sliced straight through it when I unpacked it. I'm kicking myself for being such an idiot but ordered another one and reached out to the to figure out if I can mend it, anyone here got any thoughts on that?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE