DD Frontline or TW Green Hornet hammock?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Switch

Tenderfoot
Jan 12, 2013
Scotland
Hello all,

I am all but decided that I'd like to get my first hammock. Being in Scotland the midge net is absolutely essential. The 2 hammocks that I am deciding between are the DD Frontline (stocked locally) and the TW Green Hornet.

Being that this will be my first hammock...is one of these two better in some way than the other? I am 5'11" and 14st if that helps with anything.

Also...can I just use what is packaged in these or is there a need to invest in tree straps or whoopie slings from the start. Forgive my ignorance but I've only recently been looking into these.

Any help in choosing between the 2 hammocks would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Gordon

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
Whilst you could set up with the standard webbing, the tree straps are kinder to the trees and whoopies allow to you quickly adjust the hammock rather than undoing the webbing. I'd say get them from from the start as you will probably end up getting them at some point.:)

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I have a TW XL hammock in green. It is a terrific hammock for the money. I think it cost me £13.95. I am 6' 2" and pretty hefty and it copes with both me and my 6 year old (who insists on climbing in it as soon as I start to look relaxed and sleepy). I am a bit rubbish with knots so I wish I had bought the tree straps they do with them too.

My six year old now sleeps in his orange £9.95 TW hammock every night by the way and refuses to use his bed now.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I have been happy with the DD hammocks, I'm 19st and 5'10" and been comfy enough. The way it lays suits me where as my other is more banana shaped which I find uncomfortable.
Ideally you should try them both but not always able to do so.

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
I've got the DD Travel (same as the frontline but with a waterproof base so you can go to ground if you're short of trees or just scared of heights).

I absolutely love it and find it really comfy and just a generally tremendous bit of kit. You can use it straight out the box with the nylon straps provided but (as tartanferret says) you'll probably end up getting whoopies and tree huggers at some point...they speed up your setup, weigh less and are generally sexier!

You can make your own whoopies (and even tree straps if you have a sewing machine or friendly seamstress) to save a few sheckels. Loads of information on youtube and the hammock forums.

No experience of the TW or any hammocks but a big fan of DD (we have 4 of them). No affiliations etc, just delighted with the product, service and the lovely people who sell them.

Switch

Tenderfoot
Jan 12, 2013
Scotland
Thanks for the quick replies.

What's been said has made things far easier for me. The DD hammock is stocked in the local surplus/bushcraft shop so it's good to be able to support the local business and buy from there. I was just worried that one may have had a glaring advantage over the other that I wasn't aware of.

I'll have a look into getting some straps and slings if you're saying that it's better on the trees and for set-up. I'll be reciting this as soon as the wife wonders why the price suddenly goes up.Haha!

Once again....thanks to everyone who replied. :)

May 23, 2012
Highlands
Stricktly a henessy asym deluxe man !!!

Best hammock around, for 6'+ & heavy types - like me

Comes with tree straps & rain cover roof - top is mesh & critters can't get in :)

Snake skins = 30 second set up ;) j

Switch

Tenderfoot
Jan 12, 2013
Scotland
I'm doing a group buy next month forum DD stuff if you can wait that long.

Hello Sandbag47,

Thanks for telling me about this. Unfortunately I had to grab the hammock as I was returning something to the shop with a value of £50 so it was just a straight swap for the hammock. I'll keep my eyes open for the group buy though and may grab something else...or possibly one for the wife.

Cheers,

Gordon

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Oooh I see groupbuy on DD hammock stuff this interesting am hosting an expedition to sweden this summer so will get my gang into that thread as soon as it is up
Might you wanna drop me a pm when you start it up?
Yours sincerely Ruud

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
I'll be adverting it in kit chatter about a week or so in advance (there's reasons for this..more info at the time).
I'll try to remember to PM you grey

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE