Daysack strap repair,North East England?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AndyD

Settler
Dec 20, 2011
North East England
Can anyone recommend somewhere I can get a repair done to my daysack straps please?
The stitching has become loose and has started to come away on a corner of each strap.

I was thinking all it needs is running over with a couple of rows of stitching,I was going to ask my Mother in Law to have a go on her domestic machine but don't know if the machine will be tough enough, and if it is which would be the best thread to use?

Any thoughts please?

Cheers,
Andy

AndyD

Settler
Dec 20, 2011
North East England
Forgot to add,don't want to have to send it away as it's going to be used in a few days time:(
Are there any members in the Teesside/Durham area who may be able to do it in exchange for beer tokens please!?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Either what Mike suggested, or quite seriously, away and find a shoe repair shop.
They have machines that tackle almost anything like this, and if the fellow's on the ball and obliging he'll fix it for you in a few minutes.

Best Advice ? for heavens sake learn to sew. If I can learn to do it when I was three, it's not beyond mortal wit for you to suss it out now :)

atb,
Toddy

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Just get yourself some needles, some polyester sew-all and you'll have it done in two shakes of a lamb's tail! It's a lot easier than you think..............Or take Toddy's advice and find an old-fashioned cobbler and he'll do it in seconds.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Just get yourself some needles, some polyester sew-all and you'll have it done in two shakes of a lamb's tail! It's a lot easier than you think..............Or take Toddy's advice and find an old-fashioned cobbler and he'll do it in seconds.

Bonded nylon or fishing wire, needle nose pliers, you'll have them good in no time, remember to pull the thread tightly .and a lot of dry cleaners have machines.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I'd do it by hand too with some strong polyester thread. Gutterman sew-all or Coats. Not nylon or cotton, it will weaken and snap eventually.

It really is a simple job. Did it 2 weeks ago halfway up a mountain in 5 minutes. Make sure the needle is sharp, if not, sharpen it with very fine abrasive. Should be as sharp as a fishing hook.

Learning to repair kit with a needle and thread is a very good thing to do. If you are not sure it's strong enough, take a bit of needle and thread with you and do it again if it fails.

IMO, It should be in everyones repair kit if you venture any distance.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE