Day out looking for hornets

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I find that carrying my knife on a baldric works. It hangs across the body like a small bag, but it's tucked into my pocket rather than hanging loose. No one looks twice that way, especially if it's worn under my shirt/jacket.

I found that, in general, a knife in a woman's hand isn't so quickly perceived as a knife/blade/stabbing thing, but usually more as a tool.

Society's view has changed so very much though. It makes us all kind of chary about opening carrying or using where non crafty folks are around.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
That’s OK. People always ask if I should be using a sharp knife just because I am a young girl and even ask mom and dad if they should be letting me do it. It is silly because riding a bike or crossing a main road can be much more dangerous. It doesn’t happen so much now, but it’s horrible when people talk about you like you’re not there. They should be more worried about mom using a knife than me.
I started my little girls from 2 years, they have a Opinel 7, they are still learning, but installed the care with knives early. My oldest is coming up to 5 years, and loves helping with kitchen food prep, my 3 year old is very much the same, following her big sister.

I started handling knives at 5 years myself, and was capable of skinning dead lambs, for lambs that lost their mother, for adoption by other ewes from 7 years. By 9 years, I was more skilled than a vet and used to do sheep versions of C sections. So age means nothing in relation to skill, just the opportunities needed :)

Reactions: Toddy

PoppyD

Jul 18, 2021
Stourton
I put it on my belt, but tucked into my front trouser pocket with a shirt over the top. Well hidden then. I don’t show it when people are about though. Luckily I hardly see anyone where I go so it is all good. The best was when I was cutting a badgers head off with a Laplander to get the skull. That was at the side of the road and I couldn’t take it anywhere out of the way and it freaked a couple of drivers out.

PoppyD

Jul 18, 2021
Stourton
I started my little girls from 2 years, they have a Opinel 7, they are still learning, but installed the care with knives early. My oldest is coming up to 5 years, and loves helping with kitchen food prep, my 3 year old is very much the same, following her big sister.

I started handling knives at 5 years myself, and was capable of skinning dead lambs, for lambs that lost their mother, for adoption by other ewes from 7 years. By 9 years, I was more skilled than a vet and used to do sheep versions of C sections. So age means nothing in relation to skill, just the opportunities needed :)
Exactly. I have a friend in the guides and they aren’t even taught how to use knives anymore as it is to dangerous. That is just silly. Isn’t it more dangerous not teaching people how to use them

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I was very mollycoddled and not let near anything dangerous, -particularly matches.

(I believe a relative of Nans died in a match related incident but I am not sure)

But...thats in the past

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I was very mollycoddled and not let near anything dangerous, -particularly matches.

(I believe a relative of Nans died in a match related incident but I am not sure)

But...thats in the past
I wish I was mollycoddled more, I feel like I am falling to pieces, and not even 40 years old yet.

I used to throw around >100kg sheep, cut myself (and been cut by others), more than I want to count, not to mention everything else I have experienced in life, that is not suitable to air on a family friendly forum.

Only now I am married, am I being looked after :)

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
It is my Uncle Raymond. It fits in the Mora sheath perfect. Even clicks in and holds like the Mora. I like it better than the one it came with And I can put it in my pocket. you can’t really wear that shoulder one in summer without looking like a goober And scaring people. It is OK when you can put it under a coat.

View attachment 68011
I like that style of carry myself, but then I’am a bit of a lump and it makes the small Schraftin knife easily concealed under my arm and under my shirt/jacket or whatever so as not to scare Joe or Josephine public should I bump in to them as its hidden by my bulk. I keep meaning to buy an Uncle Raymond sheath of that type but other things get in the way, mostly bimble’ing provisions and such like

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I put it on my belt, but tucked into my front trouser pocket with a shirt over the top. Well hidden then. I don’t show it when people are about though. Luckily I hardly see anyone where I go so it is all good. The best was when I was cutting a badgers head off with a Laplander to get the skull. That was at the side of the road and I couldn’t take it anywhere out of the way and it freaked a couple of drivers out.
:lmao::lmao::lmao:
I bet it freaked more than a couple drivers out :rofl:

Last edited:
Reactions: JonathanD

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Her sounds great to me pal, she’s her own girl and do’s what she likes to do, treads her own path, she isn’t one of the sheepsiz.
We stopped at a small hotel in St Ives a few years back. The owner expressed concerns about the smell coming from Pops room. Turns out she’d brought a seals head back from the beach and put it in her suitcase. Luckily she didn't put it in a cupboard or under the bed. Imagine the poor girl doing room service finding that.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
People always ask if I should be using a sharp knife just because I am a young girl
My experience is that a dull knife is more dangerous, it slips instead of cutting. The knives I gave my children when they were young (around 5) were as sharp as I could get them.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
My experience is that a dull knife is more dangerous, it slips instead of cutting. The knives I gave my children when they were young (around 5) were as sharp as I could get them.

My experience is that a sharp knife is less likely to slip but if it does then it's more dangerous than a dull knife. However, if you're not being careless you shouldn't be in a position where it catches you if it slips.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
We stopped at a small hotel in St Ives a few years back. The owner expressed concerns about the smell coming from Pops room. Turns out she’d brought a seals head back from the beach and put it in her suitcase. Luckily she didn't put it in a cupboard or under the bed. Imagine the poor girl doing room service finding that.
I pity any boy that mucks her about when she's older. You'll have no end of heads on stakes around your house... :lmao:

PoppyD

Jul 18, 2021
Stourton
I used to like that carry, but it seems my sheath has gone missing :slap:

I seem to remember Poppy’s being a little more beat up than it looks in her picture :dunno:

View attachment 68012
You have Captain Sharp now With his two sheaths. So Fair is fair. And mom knocked it into Mr Spongy Potato Seeds tank so it doesn’t fit this new Raymond knife and the Happy Egg all disintegrated in it. It is thicker than Captain Sharp anyway.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE