Day Hike: Clapham to Ingleborough

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Had a nice day out today with Carol, nothing too strenuous but it was certainly challenging up on the tops. We parked at Clapham and took the nature trail through the estate and up onto the moors, the weather was mixed with sunshine and snow flurries on and off all day.

Clapham Folly
P1010644P.jpg

Interesting masonary, apparently it had no religious use it was just built to look good next to the lake
P1010645P.jpg

The nature trails leads you through a real mix of vegetation from all over the world, sadly most of it still in winter mode, the himalayan rhododendrons looked impressive though. The trail emerges near Ingleborough Cave and then winds up through Trow Gill.
P1010646P.jpg

P1010647P.jpg

P1010648P.jpg

P1010649P.jpg

After climbing out of the gully you emerge on the open moorland, first sight of Ingleborough ahead, looks a bit snowy
P1010650P.jpg

As we were passing I took Carol over to see Gaping Gill
P1010652P.jpg

P1010651P.jpg

P1010653P.jpg

Halfway up Little Ingleborough, looking back
P1010654P.jpg

P1010655P.jpg

Carol swears she enjoyed it
P1010656P.jpg

Up the eastern flank of Ingleborough, looking back
P1010657P.jpg

When we reached the plateau we headed for the cross shelter, it was blowing a hoolie with frozen rain and snow, we didn't stop long
P1010658P.jpg

Ribblehead Viaduct just right of centre, Grays venue for the last cold weather bivvy meet
P1010660P.jpg

We dropped down off the plateau and headed for Sulber, the descent was pretty dodgy on the frozen snow and ice, I did a good section of it on my backside, looking back up to Little Ingelborough
P1010661P.jpg

Pen-y-ghent
P1010662P.jpg

Ingleborough
P1010663P.jpg

Limestone pavement
P1010664P.jpg

P1010665P.jpg

Long Lane, they weren't kidding either
P1010666P.jpg

A lovely day out

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
WOW !!! I don't know if it's the superb quality of your photos or if it really is that stunning in real life, but that looks like a place I'd like to be.

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Looks like a great day out Rich, is Ingleborough quite high ? Cos the weather looks none to good at the top, cold I take it ,,but every where round about looks like a fine day .., You have just got me in the mood for some hill walking

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Excellent! Love the photos :) I've not been up there for several years but have many happy memories of previous trips...

Thanks mate, it's only my second time up there, both times the summit has been a white out :)

WOW !!! I don't know if it's the superb quality of your photos or if it really is that stunning in real life, but that looks like a place I'd like to be.

Thanks pal, I struggle to get decent pics on the moors round here, I always think they look washed out on a compact

Looks like a great day out Rich, is Ingleborough quite high ? Cos the weather looks none to good at the top, cold I take it ,,but every where round about looks like a fine day .., You have just got me in the mood for some hill walking

It was chalk and cheese today mate, nice and toasty in the valley bottoms in the sun but cold in the exposed parts. Ingleborough is only 723m but it's one of the biggest peaks around here. I think the close proximity to the coast means it gets its fair share of grim weather, stray too far off the paths and you can be up to your waist in peat bogs. We hit the snow line at around 500m, it was quite deep in places but a lot of it get scoured off by the winds.

Cheer's Rich enjoyed reading/seeing that.

Cheers Andy

Thanks for sharing Rich...one of my favourite places, where I first started hill walking and learning to navigate.

Your pictures brought it all back.

Simon

Cheers Simon, I had the map and compass out a couple of times today, it's quite featureless terrain once you get away from the high peaks and I find it tricky to navigate sometimes.

Thanks for sharing :)

Thanks pal

Great photos Shewie, that looks a bit chilly on the high tops though :)..

Yeah it was a cold one, plenty of layers on today so we were okay.

That brought back some fond memories :)
Good pictures there mate!

Cheers John, you don't fancy giving it another go one day?

Excellent pics. Ingleborough is on my to do list, I live fairly close and commuted past it for 3 years and am ashamed to say I've never been up.

Shame on you :) It's nice to get up there whilst there's some snow about and a few less people. I'd recommend some spikes and poles if you go any time soon.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Great pics Shewie and what a diverse range of habitats and conditions!

Thanks for sharing

Rich

Thanks Rich

A bit different to Malvern, I was born in Rushwick and came down for a visit for the first time in 32 years a couple of weeks ago, spent the afternoon wandering around Malvern

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
It looks like you & Carol had a cracking day out mate, thanks for reminding me that I need to get back up there. I might wait for the summer though :)

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hi Rich, really nice photos, looks an awful lot like Dartmoor, apart from the limestone!

Thanks for posting.

Ivan...

madgaz

Forager
Sep 21, 2011
Bradford, West Yorkshire
Some cracking pics there. Hopefully heading up there in the next month or so (just waiting on hernia op repairing now).
Did Whernside not long before Christmas, that was snowy on top and did Buckden Pike a couple of weeks ago, that was covered in snow and the ground was solid ice. Freezing gale too.
Nowt better than a bracing winter hike :-D

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Great pics as always Rich :)

I've never been up that way, looks to have some interesting geology.

Gaping Gills plunge hole is impressive. Glad you and Carol had a good one.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Great pics rich. Are those taken with the Panasonic Lumix FS-35 that you recommended on another thread?

I'm looking for a new camera, i left mine in maggaluf on a meesy night out on my stag weekend lol!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It looks like you & Carol had a cracking day out mate, thanks for reminding me that I need to get back up there. I might wait for the summer though :)

It was a good day, a bit dodgy in places but nice to get out

Hi Rich, really nice photos, looks an awful lot like Dartmoor, apart from the limestone!

Thanks for posting.

Ivan...

Thanks Ivan, never been to Dartmoor but hope to remedy that one day.

Some cracking pics there. Hopefully heading up there in the next month or so (just waiting on hernia op repairing now).
Did Whernside not long before Christmas, that was snowy on top and did Buckden Pike a couple of weeks ago, that was covered in snow and the ground was solid ice. Freezing gale too.
Nowt better than a bracing winter hike :-D

Good luck on the healing, hope you get back out soon

Great pics as always Rich :)

I've never been up that way, looks to have some interesting geology.

Gaping Gills plunge hole is impressive. Glad you and Carol had a good one.

It's a nice area for walking, camping is a bit tricky and hammock opportunities are virtually zero

Great pics rich. Are those taken with the Panasonic Lumix FS-35 that you recommended on another thread?

I'm looking for a new camera, i left mine in maggaluf on a meesy night out on my stag weekend lol!

Doh, yeah that's the Panasonic bud, all the pics on my blogg since Jan last year are too, it's a good wee camera

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE