Dave Budd spoon knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I went against my normal practice and bought something...a Dave Budd Spoon Knife....
I had tried one owned and handled by Mesquite and the temptation was too much :D
It arrived today and I quickly put a mahogany type wood handle on it and gave it a quick play.....
Magic!
Loads better than the Moras I have been using!
I quickly carved a few neat depressions in a bit of well seasoned Beech I had kicking around and used the moras on it as well - no contest!
The DB is a joy to use :)
It is now having its handle soaked in oil but I hope to get a spoon (another one!) on the go tomorrow :)
Great spoonknife, great service, great craftsman, great guy!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
And another one bites the dust :lmao::lmao: :D

Yup... they are great little blades, take a real hair popping edge to them and Dave does a great service as well :)

Which one did you get John?

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
And another one bites the dust :lmao::lmao: :D

Yup... they are great little blades, take a real hair popping edge to them and Dave does a great service as well :)

Which one did you get John?

Wide, right hander ...I wanted a full set - but could only afford the one... :(

tobrien1

Nov 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
ThisThreadIsUselessWithoutPichers.jpg

lol

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
OK you want photos - you get photos!
Here is the spoonknife from various angles, with handle, mask and spoon crafted by myself...
The handle is mahogany type wood, the mask a wetformed scrap of 3.5mm veg tan and the spoon a bit of Ash (well seasoned) from our firewood pile.
The spoon is quite large, more a serving spoon than a dessert spoon, and hard as nails - yet the knife was easy to use on it.
I tried the Moras on it at the same time - the DB is much better!
No work of art (just a quick one to try the spoony out) the spoon has been lightly sanded and oiled with Flax seed oil.
I hope to try the knife out on green wood over the w/e
DSCF4388.jpg

DSCF4389.jpg

DSCF4390.jpg

DSCF4391.jpg

DSCF4394.jpg

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I received a 'righty-tighty' blade from Dave a week or so back. Finally got round to sticking it in some yew and whittling that down to a handle.
If you buy 'blade only' then Dave leaves the sharpening of the edge up to you. The bevel is fully formed, just not sharpened.

The blade on the tight bend reminds me of a french curve - not a straight bit anywhere, just a very gentle curve starting at the handle and gradually tightening to a very tight little bend. I'll try to post some pics later.

The only thing I've found difficult is sharpening the very tip. Dave narrows the blade towards the tip (presumably to make it easier to use in small tight bends). I found that it is so springy, the tip has a tendency to squeak when sharpening.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE