Dave and Mike go camping - very pic heavy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
First trip of the winter, summer not being camping and bushcraft season for me. Davidpingu of this forum was my companion, and this was to be his first overnight camping trip.

First impressions. Dave needs to work on his lightweight camping kit ;)
10380885245_1145c70fb6_b.jpg

The site was located at the furthest point of a long valley, sheltered by trees. There was a relatively short (2km) walk in, but not especially uphill, and a decent track there. The site was a colliery 150 years ago, with rail tracks and heavy industrial working. Now the valley is largely a local nature reserve, but the bit we were in is not part of that, being a sort of abandoned and forgotten corner.
10380880065_c12e338da5_b.jpg

This is why I selected this site. I was here last week, and found this beautiful fire pit. No litter, two pre-made wood piles, and even some seats made from old tyres and flat stones. It would have been silly not to take advantage of this.
10381059053_c2b4bdf1b3_b.jpg

We got set up. Dave looks enormously pleased with his tarpology.
10380886816_8bb4084138_b.jpg

I used my lightweight solo tarp, which nearly turned out to be a mistake.
10380853465_161b320b22_b.jpg

After a bite of lunch, Dave decided he wanted to try some firelighting. We had both brought some dried wood for fuel as the weather has been very wet here, but Dave wanted to try to use just what he could find. He got started in splitting down some of the woodpile.
10380813554_dd98773346_b.jpg

Just when we were ready to start the fire going (Dave doing it, me taking pictures and giving unhelpful advice) the weather decided to get interesting. First drizzle, then steady rain, then a downpour, and then absolutely bucketing down. Dave struggled manfully, but was swamped by the rain. I dashed off and got out my spare DD 3x3 tarp, and managed to rig it over the fire to give us some shelter. That enabled Dave to get the fire established, although the wet wood meant huge clouds of smoke and we both inhaled a few serious and unpleasant lungfuls.
10381018173_0137854cc1_b.jpg

Once the fire was going, the rain stopped (of course), so we refined the camp by the addition of a central pole to life the tarp and stop it collecting water.
10380802904_111091fcea_b.jpg

I then took a few shots of where we had pitched.
10381003153_73bfdb2f9d_b.jpg

10381034433_7292e54989_b.jpg

I felt unwell for and hour or so (smoke inhalation, not enough lunch, not enough water drunk) but a couple of paracetamol and a few good drinks soon sorted that, and we got down to the business of food as darkness fell. Tinned cassoulet from Aldi, with a can of peas. Dave produced a fruit cake for dessert. It was a damn fine meal, and set us up well for the evening.
10380830546_d4c6f14304_b.jpg

We sat and talked rubbish for the rest of the evening, but managed to delay getting into our sleeping bags until the rain had started just after 11pm :rolleyes:
I was worried that the pole under the tarp would slip and rip the tarp, so we took that down, and dashed for our sleeping tarps.

It rained really hard all night, and the wind was strong, swirling, and gusting. I woke at 5am to find that one of my walking poles had slipped and my tarp was on my face, but as I was inside a goretex bivvi as well I was still dry. I got the pole back into position and went back to sleep, without even getting up. Both of us slept really well, despite the weather.

In the morning, we found this:
10380778194_7d9e4ea5af_b.jpg

The pool was actually in the fire, but fortunately the fire was cold by then, so the tarp was undamaged. We got the water off, replaced the pole, and set about breakfast. Eggs, bacon, cheese, bread rolls and scotch pancakes. Couple of coffees thrown in. Beautiful.
10380791985_2d192dd06d_b.jpg

10380813406_2994a967ea_b.jpg

Then it was time to pack up, as we knew that the dry weather was only going to hold until early afternoon (and the forecast was right again). That took a little while, but we left the site pretty much as we had found it, with just a smaller woodpile to show we had been there.
10380972363_89ddac827e_b.jpg

10380751124_1ca97bb083_b.jpg

Many thanks to Dave for his company. If you can survive that, and put up with me, you'll have no trouble mate. Here's to doing many more trips. :beerchug:

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Really nice report, of a great trip, even though the weather was against you, and it does not sound like it has put Dave off, i really must try and produce some of my ramblings in more of a story/per photo format.

Very good, thanks for sharing.

Ivan...

davidpingu

Forager
Nov 3, 2012
Cwmbran
Now I can see why you agreed to take all the photos Mike. There isn't one of you in them!!! :nana:

Great trip, and the weather only added to the excitement as a first timer. (Easy to say having kept dry. May have been a different story otherwise)

Looking forward to the next one, especially if you bring all the food again! :lmao:

Any lightweight camping tips would be gratefully received. I'm shattered having lugged that lot around!

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Scotch pancakes are essentially drop scones

quarter pint of milk, some flour, butter, an egg, pinch of salt, whatever seasonings (spice, dried fruit, nuts, sugar) that you want to add. Mix to a thickish batter consistency, fry in a pan one spoonful at a time. Delicious. These were shop bought, and a bit sweet.

Dave, there's no pictures of me because I didn't want to embarrass you on the forum by showing how compact and lightweight my kit was compared to yours :rolleyes:
And it is possible that you might be slightly better looking than me, purely by virtue of being younger.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Good trip report, thanks.

I take one of those little washing up sponges with a foam bit on one side and a scourer on the other to put on top of a pole used to prop up a tarp. Prevents damage to the fabric even if the pole slips, is very light and can be used for the washing up too.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Good trip report, thanks.

I take one of those little washing up sponges with a form bit on one side and a scourer on the other to put on top of a pole used to prop up a tarp. Prevents damage top the fabric, is very light and can be used for the washing up too.

Thanks mate. I have an old glasses case that I put eating utensils in. It slid over the end of the pole nicely and protected the tarp, but the wind was lifting the tarp and making the pole fall over, and I didn't want a big heavy pole falling unsupervised, which is why we took it down. It we hadn't protected the tarp at all there would certainly have been damage because of the wind.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi mike nice pics matey its time we got together again in a manly sort of way regards dave

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Nice report and not a spider in sight. :) Great pics, looks a lovely place to wander/stay in. Nice tidy camp too which is always a pleasant thing - well done. You talking about Scotch pancakes reminds me of my great Auntie Mabel - fantastic baker and when ever you saw her you'd go home with bags of Scotch pancakes, scones, bread, cake. Was brilliant.
Cheers for posting.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE