Dave and Mike get lost in the woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I had a whole bunch of bushy kit for Christmas, and have a week off booked in January for a winter camp (this is traditional for me), so when Al, aka The Big Lebowski, known to some on here, told me he had organised a winter meeting in the Wye valley, it seemed like an opportunity for a kit test. Al said to bring a friend if I wanted, so I invited Davidpingu of this parish along too.

Now, when I say Al 'organised' the event, I mean this in the loosest sense of the word. Fighting our way through traffic to a venue in the vicinity of Chepstow racecourse, on Welsh grand national day, was an experience in itself. Also, Al managed to arrange that he would be the last to arrive on site, so there was no guide in, and his directions were, shall we say, vague. In fairness, my listening skills (as my wife will confirm) were probably also less than 100%, with the result that Dave and I completely failed to find the camp that we were aiming for.

The bit where I said "Not to worry, I think I know where they will be", shortly followed by "Ok, we're going to leave the path now" should have given Dave a clue that all was not well, but he trudged on in silence. It was only when we reached the far end of the headland out into a meander of the Wye, without seeing any sign of other bushcrafters, that I remembered that Dave53 was supposed to be part of the party, and he would probably not have been slogging all that way through pathless terrain due to a dodgy hip. Ho hum. So we did an about face.

Of course, we have now been carrying our overloaded packs for much longer than we intended, the way back is uphill, we haven't had lunch, and being in the bottom of a steep-sided valley in early afternoon means we had no phone signal and were rapidly running out of light. We slogged on.

Finding no-one, we found a path, followed it to a point where we could confirm where exactly we were (which was more or less where I thought, Dave's gps notwithstanding), we made a game attempt to convince ourselves that we had enjoyed the walk, and decided to set up a camp for just the two of us.

From where onwards, it went very well indeed.

Camps set up, Dave played firebug and got a nice blaze going, and we settled in for a well earned meal. An evening of sitting around the fire getting smoke in our eyes and jabbering about nothing much followed, with intermittent firewood gathering. My seat stick, merino base layer, Czech army socks, and my new knitted wool fingerless mittens all passed their kit tests with flying colours, and I was delighted.

The night was cold, but no lower than -3, and we had a wonderful chorus of owls through the night. My tarp froze on one side, but my hammock kit worked a treat and I wasn't cold despite no underquilt. Dave said he was a little cool in his ground camp, but he was being more hardcore than me anyway.

The morning was gorgeous. Mist off the river and in the trees, slowly burning off, then an almost continuous patter of drips as the frozen trees melted and the day turned into a brilliant clear blue-sky day. We breakfasted on coffee, pancakes, and smoked bacon, and delayed packing up long enough to get the sun on my tarp to thaw it out. There was a bit of a slog back up the hill to get back to the car, but that was fine too.

We took the scenic route home, Dave having collected about 7 feet of lime wood for an unspecified project. Nothing was seen of the alleged other meet :rolleyes:

A great time was had by us both, and my thanks to Dave for his patience, his company, and for putting up with the fat old man when I struggled on the climbs.

No photos, because in addition to being fat, old, unfit and unable to find a bushcrafting venue, senility is clearly setting in, as I left the camera at home despite packing it into a bright orange drybag so I wouldn't forget to take it with me. :eek:

Last edited:

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
nice trip report mike, you couldn't have been near us as you would of heard us ,though the owls were noisy last night. if you were struggling you should have seen me up the slopes it kills me though we had plenty of rests speak to you soon regards dave

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
I had a feeling you were around somewhere but there wasn't much we could do except listen out. The owls were having a field night almost like they were getting a bit excited

sorry we missed you and hope to meet another time Glad you had a good time anyway

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
You were lucky the company at the other camp was questionable at best , but look forward to meeting you next time

Regards Dave (caps lock )
@mouseinthewood

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
This is a family forum but if you find me on fb kris mouse I'll show you the videos ,-/

@mouseinthewood

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
So, who was on the other meet then? Dave53 has confessed, as has Mouse040, and Al was there. I heard a rumour that Bucephalus was attending too. Anyone else?

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
This is a family forum but if you find me on fb kris mouse I'll show you the videos ,-/

@mouseinthewood

Don't make me lock you out of your Blog, Twitter & Facebook account again! Remove the video or your outdoor career is finished before it's started!
I hacked your twitter account and put one tweet up as a warning shot. Don't you test my resolve on this matter or I'll unleash the photos of you drunk surrounded by lady toys!

Anyway, sorry to have missed you Harvestman. I only knew the next morning that you two were lost in action (but there again I did start on the brandy as soon as I hit camp!).

Let's hope it's us inconvenienced next time and not you.
Have a great New Year!

Richie

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
So, who was on the other meet then? Dave53 has confessed, as has Mouse040, and Al was there. I heard a rumour that Bucephalus was attending too. Anyone else?

Redandshane and savage bushcraft also dougster made an appearance ,there was a point where we said do you think you are lost and Al said ohh more stew for us so I would rethink your friends if I were you

@mouseinthewood

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Redandshane and savage bushcraft also dougster made an appearance ,there was a point where we said do you think you are lost and Al said ohh more stew for us so I would rethink your friends if I were you

Thank you for sharing that bit of information, I will be having words with our Al, especially since he said there wouldn't be stew for all. I've had his stew before, and it is too good to miss!

:)

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Sounds like you had a good time despite your tribulations. Just call it character building :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE