Dartmoor 5 ! The Wrap Up Warm Tour !

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
To add, goes to show how sad and geeky I am, that I'm feeling a level of excitement about the use of radio in "anger" lol. Hope everyone gems up on their radio etiquette before hand...... :p

Sent via tapatalk from my shiny sgs2

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
"cq cq, this is jonajuna calling for any listener at the wrap up warm basecamp. Over.... "

giggles

I can confirm those frequencies :D. And we will have none of that CQ civvie nonsense on my airwaves. 3, 5, or 7 it is then. No CTCSS splits. Hotel Quebec call sign, for base camp, November Mike, for arrivals maybe? (e.g. hello hotel quebec, this is november mike, over) :D

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Right ! firstly apologies to Lucy , but i only found out today about Al , so as i said i will organise all of the ingredients for a camp stew and between yourself and Mandimoo, i am sure we will have a fantastic supper , with rolls to dip in courtrsy of Phill.

Now as long as you radio /walkie talkie guys know what you are on about , great , please organise safe arrival at camp of all expected guests , thankyou . Does it mean i can sit by the fire talking rubbish , watching girls prepare stew ?

Yeah, we'll sort it for you mate. Will leave a handset at the RVP, which will be off, but will be preset to the correct channel (after checking local traffic), with instructions on how to turn on/off, and how to change channel, if persons attending cannot make contact via pre-arranged frequency. I will have my walkie with me and I'm sure Jon will have his with him too, plus spare batteries. If you can get a rough idea of arrival times, then we can make sure the airways are clear, and let us know where you would like the walkie placed, and also let the newbies know where that place is lol.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
OK ! you had better make sure your airways are clear , as i am not giving you mouth to mouth ! Do i have to use words like Roger and over and out and what flavour tango will we be using ?

There is that kids wooden den, in the little copse behind the car parking area , anygood ? you know in a bag waterproofing and all , or suggestions gratefully received .

Sounds good to me, You could bring your walkies too Iv', I'm sure they will operate on the same frequency, just not sure of the range on those. It is only 1.2km, but there are obstacles, horses, the bank next to the parking area, etc., but I'm sure they will have enough poke. Just a case of the signal being absorbed by all the ally laying around the camp....lol

Badger90

Forager
Mar 17, 2011
Devon
As Foxy said, we're hoping to get to you for friday night at least, but there's alot in the way atm, namely i'm missing a tyre on the Landy.
I've got 2 new and 2 more to collect from Basingstoke before next weekend and get them fitted
Added to that i'm on call atm at the club & pub ( doorman ) so i have to clear it with them that i'm oki to disappear for the night, so fingers crossed :)

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
Adam, I find those callsigns no good as there is no hotel and we are the other side if the Atlantic from Canada.....

Therefore I may find myself slipping into the intergalactic standards of, "Mork calling Orson, come in Orson. " with the sign off of "nanoo nanoo"

And can I just point out that radio was a civvy development with the military several years behind in the adoption of it ;)

LRforestschool

Forager
Jun 27, 2011
West Devon
Right ! firstly apologies to Lucy , but i only found out today about Al , so as i said i will organise all of the ingredients for a camp stew and between yourself and Mandimoo, i am sure we will have a fantastic supper , with rolls to dip in courtrsy of Phill.

Now as long as you radio /walkie talkie guys know what you are on about , great , please organise safe arrival at camp of all expected guests , thankyou . Does it mean i can sit by the fire talking rubbish , watching girls prepare stew ?

My only thought on the stew plan is that stews are so much better when they are made in advance and slow cooked, tempted to go back to making a nice rich, thick, meat, carrot, squash etc stew/casserole in advance (with some beer in it) and bring it on Friday bagged up and ready to throw in the pot to warm, and then Mandimoo and I make a great big pot of lovely buttery, garlic mash to go with it to bulk it out to the appropriate quantity of food for whoever turns up. Just a thought! We can stick one hot chilli in for Jonajuna to fish out with his plateful, to accompany his tequila! (or save it for the the next day if not there Friday!) - and yes, Jonajuna - that is rather sad and geeky that you are getting the hots for radio-play.

And Al - when you do bring your 4 yr old along later in the year, you have a highly qualified nanny available on site! (plus a bunch of bums who will have to behave themselves - Ivan!)

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Sorry Lucy , wasn't thinking about all that . This is not just any old stew , its Lucy and Mandy's special M&s stew ! malarkey So you now have to do what you are suggesting , i will just bring some more ingredient to bulk it up if thats ok , there fore for that reason i am out !

The other alternative , is if i slow cook said stew back at the house and reheat up at camp , as i have all day Friday , what do you think ?
Blimey all this professional two way radio/catering worries are too much for me , i am going for a lie down , in a dark room !!

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
I'm confused. Com us this a stew for the group meal to accompany the hangi? Is the group meal on the Saturday? Or Friday? Is there one or two group meals? Is the group meal(s) in with the camp fee or am I to contribute in some other way too?

Am happy with an and all arrangements but need to know for my planning of other eating times :)

LRforestschool

Forager
Jun 27, 2011
West Devon
I think the issue here is some are only there Friday, some only Saturday etc. So maybe we are developing here the idea of generally doing a stew group meal on a friday night when some will be there earlier but many turn up lateish and would really appreciate getting something down their necks that is convenient, warm and sociable (or not as they choose) as it gets dark so early and there is kit to put up. That lends itself to a cheap and cheerful pre-cooked stew to warm up when everyone has arrived.

Maybe Saturday is more your blokey big fire pit and big hunk of meat, dispatching chickens, messing about with axes sort of bushcraft meal (lunch or evening) , and all the rest is do it yourself meals? That way everyone gets one social meal at least but nobody gets bogged down all weekend with cooking for the group. I reckon cooking a big breakfast didn't seem to work as well, as we have late and early risers, and it gets very confusing and wasteful and too complex to get the food domations right - maybe just a couple of greasy pans out for people to do their own!!!

But Ivan - happy to adapt to any plans. Maybe you cooking the stew there earlier is logistically easier, but also happy to bring one along instead, also okay about being on just veg prep and washing up for the weekend. But not wearing a maid's uniform, before you say it!

It would be nice to get a bit of a regular way of doing the group food so that everyone knows what to expect and when and, as Jonajuna says, be able to plan our own supplies.

Ichneumon

Nomad
Jul 4, 2011
Lancashire (previously Dartmoor)
I second that.

If Lucy does the Friday night stoo it'll mean Friday night is sorted.

I'll bring a leg of lamb for the hangi and Jon is bringing a rooster which can also go in the hangi (or whatever). So with a bit of extra veg etc that will mean Sat night is also sorted. The rest of the meals can be down to individuals.

Knowing in advance what to bring and what not to bring makes life so much simpler! :)

ATB Paul

Last edited:

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Ok , the way i see it is , i will get the ingredients , cook and prepare a big pot of beef stew on Friday , as people arrive and want a bowl help themselves at their leisure , if Lucy pre cooks similair it can top the pot up to keep us all going .

On the Saturday , as Lucy has said we will , dispach chicken and cook in the dutch oven , also Paul is bringing a leg if lamb , i will also get a leg and we can cook them in the hangi as a group meal , accompanied by a pot of veg .

Those that want to partake are very welcome, also people get hungry at different times , so if you bring adequate food to sort yourselves out great .
Nobody has ever gone hungry at one of my meets , as Lucy says because of different arising times the fryup thing is tricky for all ,so if you want to , bring your own ingredients for that and use pans, grills etc at your leisure .

Finally , thre is no extra monies expected , as you are paying the stay/use fee . Between us, people have been very generous with the meat/veg etc that they have provided on past meets , it has worked well and always been delicious , long may it continue , its just a communication thing , so as there is no waste .

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
Right thanks all I am now clear and dandy :)

I believe the right vs left leg issue is only relevant with regards pork not lamb? :)

Julie Oscar November over and out

LRforestschool

Forager
Jun 27, 2011
West Devon
Yep all makes sense now (except for the bit about electronic boxes that convey human voices without wires and contemporary literary reference to Juliet hanging out in a hotel with Romeo).

Will try to do a very shoddy job of my stew so that I don't make your's look bad Ivan! Tee hee.

If you are doing a stew with potatoes in it Ivan (which I assume you probably are) then shall I drop the mash idea for Friday - or move it to Saturday? Just can't resist that potato peeling!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE