Dartmoor 2 The Revenge ...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 6, 2011
none
Sorry to keep on !! But iwas planning lamb under ground again , as i feel it went well , any other suggestions welcome .I also have 1x travel hammock and 3x3 tarp spare , and of course the big patrol tent ,for cooking/preparing /storing etc. also i have a huge 55 feet long tarp (was once a yurt cover ) if anybody wants to do something with, and for those of you who have not been , its not the Butlins you are dreading !! there is plenty of space to take yourself off and be alone..

FreddyFish

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Frome, Somerset, UK
Thanks for that list Ivan.

I would suggest that if there is anything that someone needs exclusive use of, that you should book it with Ivan.
Just so 5 people don't turn up all wanting a two man tent.

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
PS Jon dont worry about your circus tent we will sort it friend !

LOL, cheers, we have a plan anyway, well 4 actually! :)

its going to be a bit warmer (and hopefully dry) so......

plan 1: split the bell tent down into managable packs, i can carry the main canvas if it also doesnt include the poles, pegs and ground sheet.

plan 2: sell our bigger tent and buy a couple of 3 man geodomes (whether we achieve this in time, dont know)

plan 3: bring our nylon teepee instead of bell tent

plan 4: it may just be me in which case all the other plans are null and void!

failing all that, theres the back up plan.......... make the kids carry it all, they are young and fit whereas i am old and cronky ;)

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Unfortunately I'm more of a mongrel than a Mongol so breaking in a Dartmoor pony to use as a pack horse is beyond my means. I'll be going light again.

Feb 6, 2011
none
Think i promised this to someone at the last meet ...

Beech wood fires burn bright and clear
if the logs are kept for a year ,
store your beech from christmas tide,
with new cut holly laid beside,
chestnuts only good they say,
if for years tis stored away,
birh and firwood burn too fast,
blaze too bright and do not last,
flames from larch will shoot up high'
dangerously the sparks will fly,
but ash wood green and ash wood brown,
are fit for queen with a golden crown,
oaken logs if dry and old,
keep away the winters cold,
poplar gives a bitter smoke,
fills your eyes and makes you choke,
elm wood burns like church yard mould,
and the flames are vey cold,
hawthorn bakes the sweetest bread,
so it is in ireland said,
apple wood will scent the room,
pear wood smells like flowers in bloom,
but ash wood wet and ash wood dry,
a king may warm his slippers by .

dont know who wrote it but bleddy good ! Ivan ...

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
Think i promised this to someone at the last meet ...

Beech wood fires burn bright and clear
snipped
but ash wood wet and ash wood dry,
a king may warm his slippers by .

dont know who wrote it but bleddy good ! Ivan ...

so, are you going to take all the different kinds you have in the wood piles around your land? ;)

Feb 6, 2011
none
Just a thought . On the Sat , was planning a bimble , and boring history lesson across the moor , starting from base camp, down to Chalk Ford ( borders a wild deer farm ,good chance of seeing magnificent red stag ! ) then on to Huntingdon Warren ( old rabbit farm, enclosures,only mature tree for miles, farmhouse ruins etc ) on to Avon dam ( man made 1964 quite impressive ) back to Pupers Hill ( tor used by 10 tors 45 mile route, and where people place stones ) finally home , probably about 7 miles ( i will get savagebushcraft to work it out !! ) and then home if any body is interested ..

Feb 6, 2011
none
Hooray, at least there will be 4 of us , might not quite be in that order , weather and terrain dependant , also might take in Snowdon ( no not that one ! ) our little one , so called because when we have snowfall its the last place in the area that the snow melts ! blimey history lesson has begun ! ( by the way thanks for Katies myface request or whatever it is )

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
'spect we will join you all for a walk

as long as Tilly can manage to not go knee deep into a bog within the first five minutes, so we have to abandon and return to tent for trouser drying! lol

Feb 6, 2011
none
After much deliberation, re not every one wanting a route march /kids/steep ground hard terrain and to keep it interesting, we wont go to Chalk Ford as it is a very steep climb back up . So it will be Pupers Hill to Huntingdon Warren to Keble Martins Chapel to Huntingdon Cross to Avon Dam and the home ! about six miles in total , with stops and me talking rubbish sorry i mean being interesting 2 - 3 hours , lots of shaven well used paths and a bit more testing going , dont worry no bogs ! better brush up my history because i know you will have questions , i feel a bit of poetic license coming on . Special thanks to Adam for helping to plan , and he is coming down 20th to camp and we will be doing a practice run , so it all goes swimmingly !!

zeBarOOn

Forager
Mar 22, 2010
Southampton
www.shroos.com
Good times! Looking forward to it, looks like a lot of fun was had last time round.

1. Badger & Fox
2. Nova & Pinky
3. Dave53
4. Zarkwon
5. savagewolf (Rick)
6. Jon(ajuna) and poss the family Robinson
7. Bushwhacker
8. Crazysaint222 aka savagebushcraft
9. Bazzworx & Yvette
10. Freddyfish + SWMBO (glamping in the cabin)
11. Kard133
12.TeeDee
13. Zebaroon (Joel)

I was weighing up the idea of catching the train down from Southampton. Not sure how it works out though, especially getting to the meet from a station. Would you recommend this at all?

Cheers,

Joel

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE