Dark age meet up?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
How about I aim for selvedge strips and run the zig zagger along the raw side ? When wrapped that side could be the hidden bit, and later when you have time you could maybe just iron that bit over and running stitch it in place ?
Besides, no one's going to see the zigzag along an edge down there at this time of year.

What length and width would you prefer for these ?

atb,
M

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
How about I aim for selvedge strips and run the zig zagger along the raw side ? When wrapped that side could be the hidden bit, and later when you have time you could maybe just iron that bit over and running stitch it in place ?
Besides, no one's going to see the zigzag along an edge down there at this time of year.

What length and width would you prefer for these ?

atb,
M

We all have stumpy gaelic bog legs (neandanthal long backs short legs)

Thank you for any effort you make, I am not bothered what the lenght or the thickness is I don't what the lenght or thickness should be:eek: . We all are pretty average sizes (@30cm between ankle and knee cap) my son is about 15-20cm.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
my leggings are 9 ft (3m) and about 4" (10cm) and that is plenty for 5' 6" dwarf build. I used the overlock stitch (machine) along both edges and you can see nothing of the edge even when you peer quite closely. Why you would ever want to get that near my feet is another question entirely.

Cheers

Nick

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Slight change of plan at my end. Cameron doesn't want to come to this meet. Fair do's, it's not compulsory. I asked him why and he said he didn't want to carry his kit to the station, get on a train then carry his kit from the train. I asked him if I had a car, would he come. He said yes. Lazy git!

So I'll be coming down on my own then. What he doesn't know yet is he's just scuppered his trip to Bulgaria in June with me and a bunch of people from Paleo Planet. We were going for 11 days to do bow making, leatherwork, blacksmithing and I'm doing a public demo at the Architectural-Ethnographic Complex "ETAR", Gabrovo, Bulgaria. The journey would be train to London, train to Gatwick, flight (6.30am) to Sofia, car from Sofia to Bojenci and the same again back. If he balked at a train to York, I'm not risking hundreds of pounds on him bottling out on Bulgaria at the last minute.

So, does any small person need kit. If so they can borrow Cameron's stuff. I sat up last night and made some new trousers for him in checked woolen cloth. There's a long linen shirt and a long decorated woolen overshirt (kirtle). If someone needs it, just shout otherwise I'll leave it behind.

Eric

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Thank you all for the offers of strips of fabrics. Don't worry about hemming them I am the queen of short cuts. I can iron the hems in with a warmed pan and flat table while there, the tension of wrapping should hold them tidy. I haven't had time to fully hem some items of clothing yet anyway. We are only there for 48 hours so they should all hold. I sew pretty fast it things start to get frayed.

The ren fair mistake obviously has some real skills, his leather work is amazingly detailed. I do wonder if he made it as a joke. I have you noticed quite a few american sca people are called by poncy names like lady de-mountfart-smythe, and call their husband me lord. It is like they view the post norman conquest feudal system as romantic. Maybe I am missing something about thier approach.

I know Ive had more fun trying to dress as a common wench! you read things like "vikings drank out of horns and wore this and that" and it takes a bit more research to see what the graveless dirt poor drank out of and what old togs they wore!
Did they ever wash their clothes?

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
looks like im set to go anyway. I seem to have most things sorted. Unfortunately I bought some viking jewelry stuff and garment brooches but I left them in sheffield. cost me £20 as well. Phil is posting them but i dont know if Ill get them in time. Unfortunately doesent look like he is able to go, he ran out of money and has got a few things to sort out. He seems quite touchy at the moment so I dont want to push him

andywinkk

Nov 12, 2007
wigan
www.garmentsdirectltd.co.uk
We should get there between 4.30 and 5 ish, it will be shut so how do we get in, i have been on there wesite for the address for the sat nav, do we head for the main entrance or is there another gate for us ?

i am loooking forward to this meet

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
A bad dose of flu and bronchitis is forcing me to pull out this weekend. Started two days ago after a visit from my inconsiderate brother in law who is laden with cold and sneezed right in my face.

Anyway, I'm feeling like poo right now and have dosed myself with Codene Phosphate and Paracetamol. If I tried to do the weekend, I just know I would end up with pneumonia as well as infecting everyone else. Apologies to those I promised belts, pouches and necklaces to. Can't be helped though. I look forward to seeing loads of photos.

Maybe next time.

Eric

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
aw sorry you wont be coming Eric. I doubt a smokey 10th century house is the best place for bronchitis though. I got my jewelry, I seem to be set now.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Just in time - finished my seax. The blade is pattern welded steel, handel of reindeer horn & the pattern on the sheath is from the llindisfarne gospels.

saxon&

DSC00451.jpg

DSC00457.jpg

See you all tomorrow

Nick

PS its been chucking it down with snow here in Kent all evening - be an interesting trip up tomorrow - may be a leedle bit late

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE