Dark age meet up?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
cheers guys :)
hopefully he can come then. he had a job interview last friday for the midlands meet. Unfortunately he didnt get the job, BUT he did come second out of a 100 applicants so maybe his cv isnt to bad after all.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
To confirm, I'm definitely coming along, just me on my tod.
I'll bring enough food to feed me, I'm skint at the moment so I'm not too sure whether or not I'll be able to bring the joint, I'll have a chat with Keith (local butcher) and see if I can swing some sort of barter deal with him, promo photographs for a hunk of meat perhaps? I dunno.

Toddy, bramble (mum) has a present for you, she asked me to bring it up, she was too nervous to contact you for your address apparently, I haven't a clue why, sorry :)

I'll be driving from Ludlow to York on Friday, I hope to leave here by 10am ish, and it'll take me 3-4 hours to get there depending on the weather so I should be there at about 2pm. Is that too early?

Edit: Are there signposts to the site when we hit York?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Toddy, bramble (mum) has a present for you, she asked me to bring it up, she was too nervous to contact you for your address apparently, I haven't a clue why, sorry :)
B]

There'll be loads of food if things turn out as usual :cool: ,just get yourself there safely :D ,and I've already found the postcodes for the local supermarkets so I can nip out and shop if it's needed.

Tbh I reckon in this type of weather stews, soups and stovies with breads, bannocks, doughballs, and tattie or cheese scones will keep most folks contented. Maybe fry ups on rolls for breakfast ? I doubt any one is going to worry about a lean diet this weekend, it's too blooming cold. :eek:

Tell your Mum I'm asking for her, please ?:) and mind me to give you my address :D

atb,
Toddy

What's the deal for non-period folk? (coming along as "general public" I imagine)
I'm not sure what I'll be up to that weekend, but if I've got nothing keeping me away I might pop along with my girlfriend.

It's a shame I didn't see this earlier as I think I'd rather enjoy something like this. I've got absolutely nothing even passable as authentic clothing so there's no chance.

Is there an entrance fee for visitors? Other than the meet you guys are having, is it worth heading along or not?
I'm not entirely sure what the place is like (I'll have a look in a while) so please forgive me if this is stuff that'd be answered on some website I should have read already.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Actually im really looking forward to the snow - Ill be going bonkers with the new camera so the less public there the better.

Ive made up about 50 tablets & 4 shuttles - will somebody be bringing wool??

Cheers
Nick

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Snip>

I'll be driving from Ludlow to York on Friday, I hope to leave here by 10am ish, and it'll take me 3-4 hours to get there depending on the weather so I should be there at about 2pm. Is that too early?

Edit: Are there signposts to the site when we hit York?

2pm is fine, I'll be there somewhere. On the outer ring road look for the brown signs leading to "The Yorkshire Museum of Farming" On a map you're looking for Murton on the East side of York near the Bridlington road.

What's the deal for non-period folk? (coming along as "general public" I imagine)
I'm not sure what I'll be up to that weekend, but if I've got nothing keeping me away I might pop along with my girlfriend.

It's a shame I didn't see this earlier as I think I'd rather enjoy something like this. I've got absolutely nothing even passable as authentic clothing so there's no chance.

Is there an entrance fee for visitors? Other than the meet you guys are having, is it worth heading along or not?
I'm not entirely sure what the place is like (I'll have a look in a while) so please forgive me if this is stuff that'd be answered on some website I should have read already.

I'm afraid there is an entrance fee for visitors, it's not much, but I cant remember how much. There is the museum, a steam railway which I don't know if it'll be running and the living history sites.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Can I take up the offers of linen and wool scraps for leg wrapping please. I have as good as run out of long scraps, and i have eight legs that need the extra warmth and tidyness they provide.

Also toddy can I take you up on the offer of one childrens size shall/scarf for my daughter. I am not bothered about the colour but her dress is billard table green and she has light red hair so orangy brown or pink would clash a bit.

I have a neck of lamb and shoulder of lamb that needs eating. It is mid feb, in the past early spring male lambs would be slaughtered in pre-christian times if the weather was too harsh to justfy them surviving to easter. I have clay pot i wish to try out for cooking, i have seen simerlar in the local museum dating from 7thC. The clay pot is asian but looks timeless, it cooks on simerlar princble to a chicken brick, but my pot doesn't have lid.

As we are proberly turning up sat, I was going to try and cook a number of svelt flour flat breads on friday eveing, to eat with the sat eveing meal. If I mess up I'll get nans and oatcakes.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Can I take up the offers of linen and wool scraps for leg wrapping please. I have as good as run out of long scraps, and i have eight legs that need the extra warmth and tidyness they provide

I've got a scrap of blanket still I've used to make my leg wraps you could probally get a couple of wraps out of it for the kiddlings.

I'm probably going to make a scarf/shawl out of the other one so there will be long lenths available out of that one as well I think.

I'll bring them along on the Saturday and help you make them if you like.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I th ink I'm just going to fill a bag with assorted bits of kit and spare cloth and we'll take it as comes for folks needing warmth.
No problems about a headscarf/shawl for your daughter Xylaria :) and I'll dig out some lengths for legwraps, won't have time to sew them along their length though, but they'll do as sort of puttees to hide long knitted socks.

cheers,
Toddy

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Cool, genuine well researched replicas that don't make you look fat??

Bit cold though. I would die of exposier before gary got kill to me.

There is this one, he put some real effort in to looking this bad.

The sad thing about it is the amount of time and effort this bloke put into looking about as wrong as you can be - er bit like me really i suppose :-}>

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Thank you all for the offers of strips of fabrics. Don't worry about hemming them I am the queen of short cuts. I can iron the hems in with a warmed pan and flat table while there, the tension of wrapping should hold them tidy. I haven't had time to fully hem some items of clothing yet anyway. We are only there for 48 hours so they should all hold. I sew pretty fast it things start to get frayed.

The ren fair mistake obviously has some real skills, his leather work is amazingly detailed. I do wonder if he made it as a joke. I have you noticed quite a few american sca people are called by poncy names like lady de-mountfart-smythe, and call their husband me lord. It is like they view the post norman conquest feudal system as romantic. Maybe I am missing something about thier approach.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE