Dark age meet up?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Just a thought at the moment, but I have access to a "Viking Village" near York and Eric's historical thread made me wonder, how many people have some kit and would be interested in a Dark Age weekend sometime?

Grubenhouse.jpg

There would be some conditions set by the site but I have used this location before and feel that we could meet their requirements without too much difficulty.

So just for now, any interest?

Ok this is now go.

I have a date available of Friday evening 13th to Sunday 15th February. See threads from #65 onwards for final details.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
There would be some conditions set by the site

Tentative interest - pending the ability to source (make) the kit I'd need and being allowed to use modern medical equipment.

A bit off topic, but sort of relevant(ish). I've noticed something in the pic - I thought dog-heads were (unproven) mythological beings :confused:

Exit stage left ....
scared0018.gif

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Basically during open hours everything visible should be "authentic" or at least look that way.

After hours it doesn't strictly matter but it's nice to try and keep it that way as far as possible.

Medical equipment would be no problem so long as it's covered up during the day for example.

The kit is dead easy to make and I started with stuff made from blankets.

The trick is keep it simple to start off with, tunic, trousers, simple belt and footwear.

I have some spare tunics so trousers would be the priority.

General policy on site allows non authentic shoes if necessary providing they are not bright trainers or the like.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
For basic kit we just make track suit trousers type ones from linen or wool. They pull on and have either a drawcord in the waistband, or elastic and a bit of cord hanging so it still looks right.
They take all of half an hour to sew by amachine and the stitching isn't seen.

Wayland, can I wear courrans or do I need turnshoes ?

cheers,
M

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
It all sounds quite interesting.

Unfortunately, I am rather "schooner rigged" for the appropriate gear ( I imagine that the prerequisites include a goatskin tent , a sheeps skull for drinking from and other exotic somethings?????)

And anyway, there can't have been too many Vikings with bi-focals.

P'raps not, then...but I wouldn't mind coming for a day visit.

Ceeg

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
So basically its like a tourist attraction where the public go round it during the day and you `stay in character` ?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Sort of.

During the week they work with schools doing education work. At the weekends it's still open to the public but it's nowhere near as busy.

You don't have to be "in character" as such but you should look the part if you are staying on site.

It's on a farming museum site and they also have a Roman fort, a Tudor farm house and a steam railway on site.

I've been working with them for years and do some maintainance on some of the buildings.

There's always bits and pieces that need fixing and mending, we could probably do a bit of that while we're there too.

R Doull

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2006
Scotland
I'm interested.. but have no idea what I'd need.. if I can get some names of the items of clothing I can look them up on Google or if anyone has any pictures??

also when are you looking at having it?

this kind of thing I find fasinating.. but never been able to get into it.. :(

So yeah.. I'm up for it.. just let me know when so I can make sure I'm free :)

LazySod

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 18, 2007
Oldham
I'm very interested (dates willing), Clueless clothes wise and skint to boot, any suggestions?

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
I'm interested.. but have no idea what I'd need.. if I can get some names of the items of clothing I can look them up on Google or if anyone has any pictures??

Same here, might be out of action untill early december though, unless theres an authentic pair of crutches knocking around.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Im up for that all things bieng equal. Its early in period for me preferring 15th Century but I can get the gear together.

Cheers

Nick

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales

same here would love to attend but a bit clueless as to what i would need

R Doull

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2006
Scotland
What sort of timing would suit people?

well the more notice I have.. the more chance I have of attending :) next week I'm busy! ;) beyond that I can try to work things around it :)

(Start checking out your local charity shops for good wool blankets.)

any prefered Colours?? thickness?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE