Danner Boots?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

malley

Nov 17, 2008
Northumberland
Anyone got any experience of Danner boots? Really like the look of the Explorer model and after seeing one pair of Danners at Penrith Survival, the quality seems exceptional. Anywhere keep different models in stock? They are expensive and I am also aware of the arguments for Altberg - early days in my choice. Any advice appreciated.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I've been a user of altbergs, for the last ten years, but just not happy with my last pair, so i to have looked at danners, but don't know anyone who wears them.

Rob

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I used to have a pair of Danners, and they were fantastic. Very Very comfortable and worth the money I paid.
I'd still have them, but the RAF stores system managed to lose a box of my stuff when I was in transit between places :(

malley

Nov 17, 2008
Northumberland
Rob - me neither. Like the look of them. Love everything I've read about durability and service. Just haven't met ANYONE who owns a pair. Obviously madness to buy footwear that expensive without trying some on, too.
I've been a user of altbergs, for the last ten years, but just not happy with my last pair, so i to have looked at danners, but don't know anyone who wears them.

Rob

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
There's some more obscure sizes on ebay at the moment, for £125, post free, but like a lot of people, i spend quite a bit of time on my feet, and won't trust anything i've not tried on.

Rob

treefrog

Aug 4, 2008
South Yorkshire
Anyone got any experience of Danner boots? Really like the look of the Explorer model and after seeing one pair of Danners at Penrith Survival, the quality seems exceptional. Anywhere keep different models in stock? They are expensive and I am also aware of the arguments for Altberg - early days in my choice. Any advice appreciated.

Polimil stock them, but as the name suggests they have Police and Military versions.

http://www.polimil.co.uk/acatalog/Danner_Uniform_Footwear.html

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Many months back members of British Blades were going mad on buying them from T K Maxx for 50 quid and they were highly recommended.

Every time I went to T K Maxx to try some there were never any in any size. :(

Vildmannen

Oct 4, 2009
Sweden
I bought a pair of Danners in some PX at KFOR Main, Kosovo some eight years ago.

Big disappointment for me, but I put that down to a bad fit, as i somehow seem to have wider feet than most, probably a scandinavian thing because standard issue boots and my curent pair of Lundhags of the same size fits like a...Glove(?), but they are both Swedish made/brand.

Anyway the Danners semed kind of "long", from heel to toe, I clearly remember always having some problems getting my boots stuck under the front seat when in the back of a Mb G wagon, but quality wise they were ok!

/Vildmannen

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
You wont buy a better make of boot. I have had my Danners for 19 years, they have been soaked, caked in mud and hosed off more thimes than I can remember and still going strong.

I also have a pair of Matterhorns that are 9 years old and they are just as good.

Why two pairs I hear you ask!

The Danners are in black and the Matterhorns are in brown ( I perfer brown leather ).

I would not hesitate to buy either makes again, however, as with all footwear it must fit well, so try before you buy!! :)

Vildmannen

Oct 4, 2009
Sweden
Aight!

Good to hear that your firesteel is still going strong!
We (Swedish army) worked alot with the British and the Black Watch in Pristina over there, in search ops and and what not.

I especially remember a British doghandler we more or less adopted for weapons search actions, she took a big liking to our bar "Muddy Mess" at Camp Victoria.
Good times, and some bad of course...

Enough OT from me.

/Vildmannen

PeterHW

Forager
Dec 31, 2005
U.K.
I have some Danner Arcadia boots from 1990/1991....Survival Aids at Shap were where I got mine if memory serves me correctly...they are still my most comfortable boots....use them now just as back up's or when some long distance is being done and comfort is a "must"....they need Gortex inner socks to be definately waterproof....been like that from around 1996....the eyelets for the laces are the only area of trouble for me...had to have a few replaced....especially where your foot creases....but they have been good value to me.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Danner

Matterhorn

Altberg

You will not fins a better boot from any of these people. I have had all 3 at one point or another for leisure and work.

My Altbergs are still going strong as my walking boots and i only live about an hour from the factory so they did a 'custom' fit for me playing around with the insoles and remoulding the heels for a perfect fit.

I used Matterhorns as duty boots for years and again insanely comfortable and hard wearing.

I was lucky enough to get some of the cheap Danners from TK Maxx. Again a very comfortable boot.

Get to try as many you can, don't get hung up on a brand or style get the best fit.

Whichever you get it will be money well spent:)

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
I've had a pair of Danner Arcadias since the 1980s. They've had a lot of use including winter mountaineering in Scotland (not advisable due to the flexibility of the sole). I liked them and had them resoled in the 90s. Unfortunately the medieval treatment they got was their deathknell. The waterproof lining no longer works, the sole is coming off one boot (I did try re-sticking it with all manner of things, but none "stuck") and the leather's starting to split in places. They're now relegated to gardening boots.

I found them to be comfortable and good for walking and playing soldiers. Overwarm in summer due to the insulation and Gore-Tex lining, but great in the rest of the year.

I now use Altbergs though. However, if I'd known about cheap Danners at TK Maxx, I'd have some more.

Claudiasboris

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I had a pair of "Jackal GTX Hunting Boots", marketed over here by a mate as "stalking" boots but they did not stand up to the punishment I gave them. Sent then back and rather than a direct replacement Danner let me choose a pair of whatever I wanted!:D

I therefore give their Customer Service Department a 9.5 X 10.

Cheers

GlenM

Forager
Jan 11, 2006
Cornwall
Iv'e got a pair of Danner Canadian hunting boots and they are fantastic. If you wear out the soles, send them back and they will re-sole them for you.
Apart from Lunhags pro's which are better for the wet and cold any Danner boot is a good buy. Look on ebay USA, you see some bargains now and again.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE