Meindl Badile - any current real world feedback please?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Potatohead

Jul 1, 2020
Surrey... near a tree :)
I’ve been hunting for a new pair of walking boots for the good lady with some decent ankle support after she badly sprained her ankle in her tired merrells.

I’ve almost settled on the Meindl Badile for her.
Bu5 as they are very expensive I was Just wondering if any of the collective had any recent experience on this model to sway my decision either way.

Many thanks as always

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I had it in my hands and tried it in the shop. Afterwards I bit the bullet and bought custom made ones in my individual measures.

The Badile isn't as heavy as it looks like. It has a rather flexible sole and the lining of the tongue isn't leather but some kind of plastic mesh like you find it in Goretex lined boots. It is obviously meant for rather flat country and no rocks on the path. I think that it is generally a good boot but would you gift me a pair I would probably choose the Ortler if not the Perfekt.

Alternatively you can have a look here.
If your Latin is a bit rusty Google translate is your friend.

Last edited:
Reactions: Potatohead

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Have also a look at
Schladminger Modell 100.
Made in Italy and sold via a single Austrian shop, Schuhjaeger.at
It's a bargain.

Potatohead

Jul 1, 2020
Surrey... near a tree :)
Thanks for the initial replies
Looks like ive got another round of research to do.
Wish there was a decent outdoors footwear stockist near me :rolleyes:
So much easier when one can try stuff.

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
I went for them because they’re old school, heavy and clumpy but absolutely solid. I’m currently avoiding anything with a modern duel density Vibram sole, more expensive brands such as Han-Wag and Scarpa have not lasted as well as they should. It’s always irritating when one component fails before the rest of the boot begins to show any wear.
You will have to approach schladminger through their contacts page because the UK isn’t on their list of export destinations. The boots are in another league compared to more commercial brands but I haven’t been this happy with a pair of boots since my first pair of Brixia nearly 40 years ago. They’re also very reasonably priced compared to what you would pay in the UK…..even when you take import duty+vat into account.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The double stiched, so called Norwegian make, also Zwiegenäht or Tirolese, the classical sewn on sole isn't only much more durable but also far easier to repair if needed after perhaps 20 years, depending on how much you use them on which terrain of course. It's technically no problem to put a new rubber sole onto them and you are good to go for another decade or two.

These modern looking shoes with on glued soles fall in pieces after approximately 8 years after production, often 6 to 7 years after you got them from the shop, even and especially if you don't use them very often. If you use them really, many of them don't reach their third birthday. And if you bought them second hand or bought over aged stuff from a shop that threw it out for a lowered price you don't have to expect very much anyway.
In my opinion they are a waste of money, totally overpriced for what you get. But so comfortable already in the shop and during the first few kilometres...

:rolleyes:

The best is to organise in time your holidays like this that you get an appointment with an orthopedic hiking-shoemaker master and buy from him quality boots that are made in your individual measures.
It's worth the effort and longer waiting time, that can be up to a year. But these boots you will surely keep for decades.

In the thread in the Italian forum above are listed also all European hiking shoe makers we know about, that offer to make you boots in your individual measures. And that's usually surprisingly cheap, because you buy directly from the maker and cut out every other usual costs.

And well, shoes that are made in your individual measures tend to fit perfectly. That's not so bad!
I can walk as long as my muscles allow, every day all the year round and never get blisters or other problems, just tired legs of course after a day.

No idea if you have such offers in Britain too.

Last edited:
Reactions: gibson 175

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
The double stiched, so called Norwegian make, also Zwiegenäht or Tirolese, the classical sewn on sole isn't only much more durable but also far easier to repair if needed after perhaps 20 years, depending on how much you use them on which terrain of course. It's technically no problem to put a new rubber sole onto them and you are good to go for another decade or two.

These modern looking shoes with on glued soles fall in pieces after approximately 8 years after production, often 6 to 7 years after you got them from the shop, even and especially if you don't use them very often. If you use them really, many of them don't reach their third birthday. And if you bought them second hand or bought over aged stuff from a shop that threw it out for a lowered price you don't have to expect very much anyway.
In my opinion they are a waste of money, totally overpriced for what you get. But so comfortable already in the shop and during the first few kilometres...

:rolleyes:

The best is to organise in time your holidays like this that you get an appointment with an orthopedic hiking-shoemaker master and buy from him quality boots that are made in your individual measures.
It's worth the effort and longer waiting time, that can be up to a year. But these boots you will surely keep for decades.

In the thread in the Italian forum above are listed also all European hiking shoe makers we know about, that offer to make you boots in your individual measures. And that's usually surprisingly cheap, because you buy directly from the maker and cut out every other usual costs.

And well, shoes that are made in your individual measures tend to fit perfectly. That's not so bad!
I can walk as long as my muscles allow, every day all the year round and never get blisters or other problems, just tired legs of course after a day.

No idea if you have such offers in Britain too.
Altberg who are based up in Richmond, Yorkshire produced a product called Veldhog which was hand lasted and with a stitched welt but I’m not sure if they still do them.
They were much cheaper and better than Meindl Dovre extreme but there was always a waiting list for them.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I think they don't make them in one rush.
I think they seem to collect several orders to become effective similar to serial production, especially if there is just a small team or single master who also does repairs. And the demand is higher than the offer.

Reactions: Ystranc

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
If we talk about such a high quality it's no advantage to run a big enterprise regarding the resulting products.

There are a lot of men who know how good boots have to be made. They usually serve the local market and that's it.

The workshops where the better models of the bigger brands are made are also surprisingly small. 10 to 30 employees perhaps and it's already one of the market leaders.

Most people don't really think about boots and those who do it often buy just two pairs or what because they last so long.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE