A present to me...from me

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
Birthday next month, so before I went away on my recent trip to the Brecon Beacons I ordered this wonderous machine..

I spent this morning assembling it, without any difficulty as it only required handle bars, front wheel and pedals fitting, using the good quality tool kit supplied.
First impression after a short ride is that there is potential for a lot of fun.
Build quality is excellent although there are far more expensive models on the market. After much research I'm well aware of the, " my £450 Bushcraft knife cuts string much better than your Mora " type syndrome when it comes to electric bikes, some the price of a small car....but I'm happy with my choice for primarily country lanes, easy off road tracks and the 12 mile round ( hilly) trip to Town.
A test ride up a steep climb that normally kills me on a 21 gear Mountain bike, I would rate at grin factor 100%, it shot up the hill with a gentle effort on the pedals. I think it's going to be well used this Summer.:thumbsup:

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
I would say that they are superman bikes- so much opportunity to explore with them.

I have a specialized downhill ebike, its like the ford raptors of the ebikes, but I wouldnt chain it and leave it while shopping, so it's pretty useless in that front.
That looks perfect for going out on, with the rack as well.

I mentioned on another thread I charge mine via the jackery and solar to keep the costs down, not sure if there's the ability for you do look at something similar

Reactions: saxonaxe

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
not sure if there's the ability for you do look at something similar
I haven't explored that possibility yet, although if the sales info on this bike is correct, it's good for 65 miles + with reasonable use of the power (5) options. I still tend to pedal manually a fair bit with the seven gears without power assist, so my power consumption is not too high overall. Hopefully the bike should be good for 50 miles at least even if the sales talk is over cooked. :thumbsup:

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Birthday next month, so before I went away on my recent trip to the Brecon Beacons I ordered this wonderous machine..

I spent this morning assembling it, without any difficulty as it only required handle bars, front wheel and pedals fitting, using the good quality tool kit supplied.
First impression after a short ride is that there is potential for a lot of fun.
Build quality is excellent although there are far more expensive models on the market. After much research I'm well aware of the, " my £450 Bushcraft knife cuts string much better than your Mora " type syndrome when it comes to electric bikes, some the price of a small car....but I'm happy with my choice for primarily country lanes, easy off road tracks and the 12 mile round ( hilly) trip to Town.
A test ride up a steep climb that normally kills me on a 21 gear Mountain bike, I would rate at grin factor 100%, it shot up the hill with a gentle effort on the pedals. I think it's going to be well used this Summer.:thumbsup:
I like the look of that but can't find it... Do you have a link please.

Robbi

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
Here you are Robbi..https://eskute.co.uk/collections/e-bikes
Mine is the 'Polluno' City bike, which I chose because of the Step Thru design. The Polluno is an update of the Wayfarer model which got some decent reviews on YouTube.

Reactions: slowworm

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
:) It was the Welsh Hills that convinced me to raid the Piggy Bank, Tony. 12 mile round trip to Town and coming home with even a modest amount of shopping in the ordinary Mountain Bike pannier and the old boy felt like he was about to snuff it last time...:roflmao: :roflmao:

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
:) It was the Welsh Hills that convinced me to raid the Piggy Bank, Tony. 12 mile round trip to Town and coming home with even a modest amount of shopping in the ordinary Mountain Bike pannier and the old boy felt like he was about to snuff it last time...:roflmao: :roflmao:
Keep your battery warm in winter is paramount.
S

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
You'll have lots of fun on that, I love my eBike, it's transformed my enthusiasm for welsh hills :D
them there welsh hills are very steep and not a patch on porlock hill somerset and have many safety sections in case breaks fail

yet porlock hill in somerset is 1:4 gradient

The route climbs west of Porlock to the north fringes of Exmoor. It climbs 725 feet (221 m) in just under 1 mile (1.6 km),[2] the steepest gradient on any A-road in the UK.[3] At one point, there is a warning sign advising motorists of a gradient of 1 in 4 (25%).[4] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porlock_Hill

it would be interesting to see how ebikes can or cannot master such a hill as porlock hill...??

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Touring Netherlands by bike we were amazed at 80 year old grannies were overtaking us up hills. Didn't understand until we finally twigged what that droning buzz sound was, they rode ebikes! Seriously, Holland people cycle as every day life, utility cycling, but elderly could be isolated by the hills even Netherlands have between residential areas and beaches or town centres. Ebike allowed more Inclusive cycling. You often saw gangs of elderly out for a joyride.

What I found interesting was the young people had huge and heavy Dutch bikes with capability to carry people on rear rack even saw people hitching on the front platform for bags. Some of those young people also used ebikes. I think ebikes should become more common here as they will help to encourage active travel and less car use. Always a very good thing IMHO.

Enjoy your bike, like that's not already a given!

Reactions: Ahjno and saxonaxe

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
Ebikes are superhuman machines.

Mine has never struggled with any hill, and it's built to come down them not go up.
It's a pedal assist so you do need to have the momentum of your legs moving the pedals, but the modes of effort can be set, so minimal effort to ride but uses more assistance and battery.

As long as your knees are in order and relative fitness, I think the average person would have no issue on one and riding until it runs out of juice easily.

I have taken mine to places a bike has no business being, and up terrain only a goat would normally navigate.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I think ebikes should become more common here as they will help to encourage active travel and less car use.
Maybe there but in 20 cm of snow the E does not really help. ;)

One does see them also here, tried a few but I did not feel any greater enlightenment.

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
Separate chargers, mostly 240v but some can be had with a dc 12v.

Mine plugs into the jackery, and charges via the solar then so ultimately its all free usage

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
Nice. Whats the max mph on flat road?
The power from the electric motor automatically cuts out at 15.5 mph. Obviously you can ride a lot faster than that but you don't get any power assist. There's a clause in Road Traffic Law I believe,which turns an electric push bike into a Moped under certain conditions, speed under power and how that speed is controlled, a throttle for example. Fiddling with the power and how it is supplied can suddenly turn your push bike into a Moped and you get jumped on for road Tax, Insurance, Crash Helmet and captured for riding on designated Cycle Paths etc:

Reactions: chimpy leon

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
A quick question @saxonaxe , I don't suppose anyone short has had a go on your bike? I was considering the same model for both myself and my OH to use. However, the minimum height seems to be 5' 3" which is taller than the average UK lady which seems a bit strange for a bike aimed at both sexes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE