Danish Oil Safe?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
I made a couple of spoons today and was wondering whether it was safe to oil them with danish oil? They will be used for eating so want to make sure the oil is safe for this.

Thanks for the help

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
If you are intending to use the spoons regularly flaxseed needs to be applied in thin coats and up to a dozen times before you get a good protection and it takes quite along time to dry between coats
Personally I use a mix of mineral oil and beeswax
Heat the mineral oil ( which you can get from any chemist ) and add about 1/5 beeswax and then let it solidify I use a small meat paste jar and keep one in my pack when out as two or three applications is a great finish and is 100% foodsafe and cheap to make and being a semi solid it drys of much quicker

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
As stated, Walnut or I have also used Tung oil but it's spendy and I never found any advantage over Walnut. Whatever oil you use on eating utensils, it has to be a naturally drying oil otherwise it just sits near the surface and then goes rancid............atb mac

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE