Dangerous plants

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
I'll second what Toddy says - every bit as useful as useful as Aloe vera for burns, rashes, stings etc - just tear open the leaves and apply the gel found inside. In an old house I used to live in, I had these growing prolifically on the roof of an outbuilding, so good and easy to reach when needed. I've tried growing them in the garden but with limited success - they really do need very good drainage and as they grow fairly slowly, don't like competition, hence why they do well on old slate roofs. Would do well in a rockery or alpine garden though. And they have very pretty flowers though they will often die back after flowering. However, by the time they're ready to flower, they will usually have budded off to form small daughter plants around the rosette of the parent plant. Lovely little plants.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My garden is sodden wet (well, it's Lanarkshire, isn't it ? ) and I manage to grow them. They happily sprawl from a pot and hang down in little 'chickens'.
I think you're right that they'd prefer drier though, but among the slabs in a gravel path, they're very good too.

I grow one pot on the bathroom windowsill so I have it to hand all year round, and just repot at the end of Summer with new chicks.

M

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
I'm in North Yorkshire and it's also sodden most of the time - which ever way the weather front is coming from, it hits the Pennines and drops its water :rolleyes:.
i was trying to grow them in a bed - which they really didn't like. So growing in a pot or in gravel, I'm sure they be fine. I don't think they mind the wet as long as they can keep their feet fairly dry.
Havent thought of growing them indoors though - good idea to always have them close at hand.

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
Drain pipe stood on end and drilled like the old Strawberry planters works really well for the House Leeks no matter how wet it is, filled with the poorest soil you can find within a couple of years it’s almost impossible to see the planter. I have several 5’ ones wired to the side of the garage, once they have filled out (and it doesn’t take long) they really attract Tits and Wrens hunting up and down them often for hours at a time looking for beasties.

D.B.

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
I like that idea - will have to give it a go, but not just at the moment. Will have to wait til we move house or it will be just more stuff to move.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The "Bracken" that we have is BAD NEWS. Several other species are harvested commercially for the fern frond markets in France and (?) elsewhere.
Easily told apart, I'll pick enough for a couple of feeds of cream of fiddlehead soup. My advantage over all of you is that I can pick once,
then go up 2,000ft in 2 weeks and pick again.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Most large trees are harmful by contact. Either the whole tree or large enough chucks of it applied with force can do some quite nasty damage.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE