Poisonous Fruits

• Hey Guest, For sale we have Hultafors Outdoor Knives with Firesteel PLEASE LOOK HERE for more information or use the Pay Now button in the sidebar

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
+1 :D

Seems sound advice. They're a common weed tree here (I have to pull out seedlings every year from our hedges) so it never occurs to me that folks might have to travel to find them.

M

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Weird. I have eaten ( sucked the juice) Elderberries and had no side effects or problems.
also a common, oldfashioned way to make cordial from them in Sweden is to steep the raw berries with sugar and mash them up, then collect the juice.

Maybe a different variety?

Nice65

Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Elderberries are used for cordial and wine. The flowers also. I suppose the fermentation or heating for cordial must temper them a bit. The flowers are good too. It's a non-toxic plant, just don't overdo it.

Some of my 'smallest room' moments are caused by wild bilberries. I love them. In my youth, scrumping plums led to a very grumpy tum. Was fun though, gorging on fruit.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Every now and again , somebody will resuscitate an exceptional post with brilliant content!

This one is the proof.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge Xylaria , and thanks for bumping this OMark...

And by the way both me and the kids eat elderberries every summer by the bowl full, and never had any problems...

But we are very careful in identifying it correctly ...

Quite a few similar poisonous fruits out there...

b6e92c549ad353aff77a18f84729dfff.jpg

Last edited:
May 21, 2017
Sussex
I seem to recall Marlowe from Wild Food UK saying that other species of elder are poisonous, perhaps he was referring to dwarf elder. White bryony is another poisonous berry found here. There are a couple vaguely resembling redcurrants that are I think, also worth emphasising that spindle and cuckoo pint are poisonous (the latter very poisonous and unpleasant) as these two are by far the most common of the toxic ones in my experience.

Hultafors Outdoor knife for Sale

We have a a number of Hultafors Outdoor Knives with Firesteels for sale.

You can see more details here in this thread OUTDOOR KNIVES The price is £27 posted to the UK. Pay via the paypal button below.