Damson Gin?!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
Afternoon folks,

My father inlaw has a nice little orchard and has just announced he has more damsons than he can deal with this year, so I thought I'd diversify my gin making this year and try out Damson Gin!

If I follow the recipe for Sloe Gin, will that come out well, or does anyone have any tips?

Many Thanks

Drew

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
Cheers for that,

I was going to go for 1:1 ratio on damsons weight and sugar, this seems to suggest 1:0.5 ratio if I'm reading it right. Anyone suggust which to go for?

Drew

wolf man

Forager
Sep 12, 2005
Oxford
I've got some on the go at the moment. I went for the 1:1 ratio, but as it's the first time for me, I can't comment on how it'll turn out.

Why not get two sets going with the different ratios, and see which you prefer.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I made some for the first time this year. I use a 12cm zebra billy, & when its full to the brim i have enough fruit. I then add 8oz of sugar & the gin, shake it every day for a month then decant it, its the same for all my spirit/friut drinks, works for me & this year i have blackberry vodka(2 bottles)plum gin & the danson gin.

Rob

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Yep..... 1:1 if you like to chew it..... Figure you can always dilute it wiv more Gin....:)

Yep. It is an......erm.......acquired taste. Certainly not the consistency you'd want to decant into your favourite hip flask. I've tried the Gordons Sloe Gin, but that was far too thin. Like British Red says though; it's easier to add more sugar than it is to nip to the shop to get more gin!

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
If you're going for the 1:0.5 ratio, I'd personally put everything in together at the same time. If you've got the chance to make a note of the weight of fruit, amount of initial sugar and volume of alcohol, it may be useful when you come to add more sugar. That way you can experiment, and more importantly, refer to the recipe which you prefer for next years gin!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I no longer put sugar in to begin with - just fruit and spirit. After several months of tincturing, I strain off the fruit and make a concetrated sugar syrup in a pan. I add this a little at a time, tasting all the wile until the flavour is "right" (tastes nice). I got the neighbours round last year to help with the tasting (20 odd litres were made of various types). I nearly has to take one home in the wheelbarrow :)

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
Well, I've started it off with a few ratios of fruit to sugar!

Just wait now I guess!

I may also try the gin and fruit method too red with the extra damsons!

Thanks all

Drew

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE