Stoat life.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Murf

Feb 18, 2022
Lancs
Just back from four nights out (trip report of sorts to follow). I'm very fortunate to be able to use a private wildlife rich spot and being a solo soul I can make sure my time there has as little impact as possible on the life around me. Even so, I wasn't expecting to see this stoat at work less than twenty feet away from my camp. He took two pigeon squabs straight out of a tree. The first take took me by surprise and so I didn't get to record it. But stoats are creatures of habit and will quickly empty a nest with return visits. Sure enough, ten minutes later he was back for the second squab and this time I was ready. I managed to video it from start to finish on my phone. The pictures are screen shots from when he had taken the second squab from the nest and was making his way back down the tree and then carting his prize off into under growth.

Attachments

• 20220811_132644.jpg
    20220811_132644.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot_20220811-131443_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20220811-131443_Video Player.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 33

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
Excellent photo capture :thumbsup:
Murf, just out of curiosity, so that I understand the Stoat's tactics. Was the Squab dead or at least not struggling on the way down the tree?

I've seen a Stoat dragging a struggling, kicking Bunny into the bushes before, but it looks like the tree climber had the instinct to kill the prey first before he attempted his head first descent..Clever Stoat.:)

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
Just back from four nights out (trip report of sorts to follow). I'm very fortunate to be able to use a private wildlife rich spot and being a solo soul I can make sure my time there has as little impact as possible on the life around me. Even so, I wasn't expecting to see this stoat at work less than twenty feet away from my camp. He took two pigeon squabs straight out of a tree. The first take took me by surprise and so I didn't get to record it. But stoats are creatures of habit and will quickly empty a nest with return visits. Sure enough, ten minutes later he was back for the second squab and this time I was ready. I managed to video it from start to finish on my phone. The pictures are screen shots from when he had taken the second squab from the nest and was making his way back down the tree and then carting his prize off into under growth.
thank you for showing us an insight to their habitat and a little bit on how they deal with their food

Murf

Feb 18, 2022
Lancs
Excellent photo capture :thumbsup:
Murf, just out of curiosity, so that I understand the Stoat's tactics. Was the Squab dead or at least not struggling on the way down the tree?

I've seen a Stoat dragging a struggling, kicking Bunny into the bushes before, but it looks like the tree climber had the instinct to kill the prey first before he attempted his head first descent..Clever Stoat.:)
The squab was still struggling alot until they got to the base of the tree. It looks like here the stoat took the opportunity of firm ground to reposition its bite on the neck and the squab was dead about 10 seconds later. It was the flapping of the first squab that got my attention. The stoat though seemed completely unfazed by either the flapping or by me. It just got on with its work.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE