Damascus steel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
C_Claycomb said:
Jason, very funny, but be careful, some novice might not realise you are pulling their leg and might think that they really should align their quench with a compass, or by the stars or something :lmao:

I thought he was being perfectly serious. I thought it was something to do with carbide formation when the steel has been taken past non-magnetic and then quenched. I know some american smiths align thier forges etc in such a way - unless of course they are all wind up merchants. :rolleyes:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Well :rolleyes: I thought there could only be two reasons Jason would say he aligned his quench, and chose the one I reckoned was more flattering. I do hope he was joking! :)

There are so many things that affect the quality of a blade that to worry about the microscopically small difference that magnetic alignment might or might not make is silly. I would bet money that no one using a simple forge could possibly be consistent enough to tell one way or the other if such a thing made a difference. Exact temperature and time above critical, how fine the pre-quench grain was, the temperature of the quench oil, and the variability in steel, even of the same type from the same manufacturer, will all make so much more of a difference.

There is far more mileage in holding that a triple quench is better than a soak and single quench, or that a home freezer will promote martensite conversion. You can really get a debate going with those. :swordfigh

Has anyone with a forge tried to hold a piece of high carbon a bit below critical long enough for carbides to segregate out? I have heard that it can be done and that this is what http://www.angelsword.com/techno_wootz_steel.php is, I think. If the starting steel doesn't have enough carbon you end up with something that won't harden, but is very abrasion resistant, it will skate a file, but the edge with roll easily. I would like to try, but I probably can't keep the steel hot enough for long enough.

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
Martyn said:
I thought he was being perfectly serious. I thought it was something to do with carbide formation when the steel has been taken past non-magnetic and then quenched. I know some american smiths align thier forges etc in such a way - unless of course they are all wind up merchants. :rolleyes:

Yep, completely serious! Its a little custom Ive adopted that does no harm but I cant back it up with any consistent proof. I like to quench in water and anything that might help avoid warping cant hurt ;). I triple normalise, single quench, temper in the oven. I'm not keen on a triple quench, but each to their own ;)

G Obach

Dec 2, 2005
halifax
hi

if you forge out a piece of 52100 into a blade.... often it'll have some kind of banding show up.... after heat treating it... just give it a dunk in dilute ferric chloride and alot of the times you get a neat pattern...

yep... that co. produces something that should more accurately be called
" techno banding".....

if you do the triple quench..... it works if you use the high alloyed steel like 52100.. ... i haven't heard of it benefiting the simple carbon steels...

"freezer cooling"..... some steels have a habit of retaining austenite... (such as the high alloys and stainless)..... and to fully convert it ... you must reach martensite finish.... which often is a temp that is bellow zero.......so, some undercooling is required with these steels... ... ( dry ice or liquid N )
-- austenite can sometimes be tripped off by the first oven temper.... or by sitting for a length of time...

isn't metalurgy fun... :banghead:

take care
Greg

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I have to admit to being a bit sad, :rolleyes: I have been rather enjoying reading about metallurgy lately. I actually printed out the e-book below and have been reading it for the last few weeks, along with a MASSIVE thread on Bladeforums about the triple quench.

http://mse.iastate.edu/files/verhoeven/7-5.pdf

See page 16:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268912

Reading this stuff has really started to make me question how I have been heat treating my O-1. I have started doing samples, trying different numbers of heats, quench temperatures, soaks. I have bought hardness testing files and hope to get some pictures of grain structure. The hardest, finest grain sample was held above critical in my one brick forge for 5 minutes, then after a couple of normalising cool offs soaked again for 4 minutes then quenched. I was astounded, after having read so many knife making books talk about quenching soon after critical is reached. The trick will be to do it consistently in blades! :lmao:

I also found that, just as the books say, that the steel is far from full hard straight after an oil quench. Its still quite plastic.

Metallurgy rocks :D :lmao: :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE