Damascus Awl;

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
I had an e-mail in response to my Blog on Moughton Whetstone
http://teddytourteas.blogspot.com/2011/03/moughton-whetstone.html
from Alan Brown, Black-smith and Jade carver in New Zealand, asking if there was anything I fancied swapping some for ?
I mentioned I’d be into an Awl, as a handy piece of outdoor kit. Parcels were swapped and it landed this morning, 4 days from N.Z.
I made a container from some 22mm copper pipe and an end cap with a 1/2 penny soldered on for the base and a counter sunk cork
pushed down the tube to protect the Awl point which fits through a reel of saddlers thread with the cardboard ends removed and a
couple of needles fit in, with-it with room to spare. The Awl is 3 and 3/4" long
1.jpg

the top needle 2 and 1/2"
2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Here’s a copy of the note that came with it :-

Danny, this Awl is made from a small piece of Damascus steel and a piece of 8” rats tail Nicholson file. The Damascus was made by
Brian Macdonald; a Scottish Smith who lived in NZ for years- he moved back to UK to work for Historic Places Trust on Hadrian's Wall
restoration, He passed away 2 years ago (RIP Brian) the file shaft is embedded 1” into the handle, a square shank driven into a round
hole whilst the handle was red hot. The file was then cut down and formed, reheated and tempered @ 200*C for 1 hour -----------
Should last you out Danny --- !!

There was also a Jade pendant for Brenda, which I’ll put on the Blog. I just thought I’d share the stunning Metal work on here and add
an observation from Alan in NZ about the Moughton Whetstone :-
a curious thing happened --- while dressing them on my magnetic diamond lap plate [approx 12” diameter ] ,I noticed the slurry forming in bands [dark and light–] couldn’t fathom it for a start but then I twigged ! the different colours in the stone have different compostion and the red band must have iron as the slurry was seperating and aligning with the magnetic fields on the back of the pad !!!

just thought I'd share some great Black-smithing -- cheers Danny

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
that's a lovely bit of kit you've got there, much under valued as a tool is the awl

stuart

mwnci

Oct 24, 2010
Afan, South Wales
That looks like an excellent kit setup. Love the look of it all. Anyone know where I could lay my hands on a more rustic awl along those lines? I am feeling inspired to try and put something like that together myself!

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Thanks for all the replys I thought it was craftsmanship worth sharing. I contacted Al with this reply:-

Hi Danny – pleasant surprise to see that it got to you so quickly – and a relief [I may add –] as I was too strapped for cash to pay the tracking fees etc
really nice little bodge-job on the copper [ love the ha’penny bottom ] and Brenda; that man of yours is bloody marvelous fancy that ; a few old rocks in a haversack and he’s got the whole planet wanting to trade little treasures !
I thought you’d enjoy the Hadrian’s Wall / Brian Macdonald connection ; I am certainly honoured to have known him - was lucky enough to have a set of small tongs that I use often at the forge ------- he taught me the old method of making/tempering springs and I get them perfect every time – [ for my folders -------]
perhaps you could post the pik of hammers knives etc on your blog for me [ explaining that those 4 steel thingy’s are knife sharpening steels ---? ] and yes – please post my contact [ email ] for any enquiries on the awl blog -
well Danny , Brenda and Teddy ; may your days be healthy and filled with wonder --------
have a great day AL

Alhammerchisels.jpg

So question to Mods is that OK ? or if not a link to my Blog ?
cheers Danny

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE