Damaged Knife Edge

Braidsta

Forager
Jul 29, 2013
Essex
500px.com
Afternoon all,

I've been searching all week for this answer but I'm not looking in the right places, maybe there's a technical term for whatever I've done that I need to know...

On saturday I went over the woods for some tea and beans - don't ask, bad week!

I forgot my tin opener and used my Mora Companion to open the beans - batted it in, peeled it round. The lid came off fine and I continued to baton wood for some time.

I'd already noticed, but at home under closer inspection it seems I've damaged the edge. The edge goes straight, wiggle left, straight, wiggle right... if I lay it flat on my palm and stroke backwards softly I can feel the edge catching my skin. If I run my thumb along the edge as though to feel the sharpness, where the edge has wiggled / bent it's blunt metal - I'm thinking it's the curve of the bend I've caused.

I tried a few pictures but you can't really see it - this is giving me hope though that I haven't done anything TOO bad.

Can I sort this with a bit of sharpening or do I need a belt sander? It was only later on I realised that while I've seen plenty bushcraft / knife use videos, I've never seen someone put one to metal.

This is more convoluted than it should be but hopefully I've described it enough someone will know what I'm struggling to say! It's a cheap knife so a good lesson for me!

Many thanks for any advice, it's much appreciated.

Brady

Braidsta

Forager
Jul 29, 2013
Essex
500px.com
Just updating this in case someone finds it useful for future - a good few minutes on the DC4 and the edge is ninja-sharp once again.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE