cup, kuksa

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
i had a crack at makeing a kuksa today, im not sure if it qualifies as a kuksa not knowing the difference between one and a cup but it was a chance to try out my new spoon knife:)
sorry for any dodgy or upside down pics, i was useing a camera phone and it took 4 atemps to upload from photobucket crashing lol

i cut a bit of dead fallen birch which wasnt a great choice because birch polypor had rotted the wood a bit and it wasnt as solid as i thought
Image053-1.jpg

basic shaping with the axe
Image056-1.jpg

carving the bowl
Image057-1.jpg

Image009.jpg

makeing the hole for the handle
Image014.jpg

Image012.jpg

the finnished product:D
Image023-1.jpg

Image019-1.jpg

Image018.jpg

the tools i used, i take back what i said about axes being unnesasary, it proved very usefull and sped up the shapeing
Image016-1.jpg

i also brought along my swedish army trangia and cooked some bannock for lunch
Image058-1.jpg

any comments are welcome!

thanks for looking
pete

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
Lovely work, a spoon knife is on my shopping list.

How long did it take you? and are you going to treat the wood?

I think a kukasa is a kukasa if it is made out of a knot of wood, not a hundred percent sure but i know somebody will correct me if i am wrong.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
How long did it take you? and are you going to treat the wood?
sure but i know somebody will correct me if i am wrong.

it took about 2 or 3 hours but i was cooking at the same time. im not going to treat it because the wood was a bit soft because of the polypor and it did crack a bit in my bag on the way home :( next time i will make one out of green wood

Rosco

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2008
west yorkshire
Well done that's a nice functional piece of work and I reckon pretty quick too. I agree that axe work is and effort saved.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Looks great!

If you use green wood, you can always boil in salt water after, I think this is the traditional way

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE