Crusader Lid project

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
akraven said:
Here is a pic of the mold I used.
Crusader%20mold

The male side is walnut and the female side is hardwood plywood. I probably should have rounded over the leading edges of the female mold to allow the metal to start into it easier. Keep in mind if you try this that it took quite a bit of force on my large vice to do it. Wear appropriate safety gear in case you break the vice. As for the paint yes it was sprayed on in two coats and let dry in the summer sun. I will get it up to a boil today and see how much noise the lid makes bouncing around :) akraven

Thanks for that!! :You_Rock_

Hope you don't mind me having a bash at making one!

Oh and as for the vice, I have a 3tone press at work ;) (Big Toys toys)

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Pignut said:
Hope you don't mind me having a bash at making one!

Oh and as for the vice, I have a 3tone press at work ;) (Big Toys toys)
I would love to try that but I don't have access to a large vice unless you count a Black and Decker workmate :lmao:

The heaviest weight I can bring tobear is goint to be a fullen laden ford transit all I have to do now is work out how to bring that to bear :)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
easy! jack it up, then lower a solid part of the chassis onto the press! ;)
you have some control with this method!

or alternatively drive it on to a ramp one side and rack of bricks the other with the embeded press (this is obviously slightly more hazardous though!) :eek:
(i didn't tell you! ;) )

or depending on your weight use a sofa and sit on one end with the press under one leg lower a cupboard onto it, jump up and down like a mad man! :lmao:

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
That is bootiful workmanship, something I intend to have a go at as I am sick of flies landing on my cup, I often ditch the brew and clean the cup as flies absolutely repulse me. I would slightly change your design though, hope you don't mind, but my idea is to add a few of those loops you have made for the ring at the top to the outer edges. There will be three of them on each edge, then I will add three large pieces of bent wire. The outer loops will have a U shaped piece of wire which will be a tight fit when on the mug, holding the lid on securely. The centre loop will be a bail arm, then I can use the mug as a small billy can! I don't know if this is totally feasible, but nothing ventured nothing gained!

Warning: Crap paint addition to that lovely lid!! Sorry, it feels like sacrilige!!

lid.jpg

akraven

Dec 18, 2004
Alaska
Sounds like lots of good ideas here! I will be interested to see how everybody does. Just take your time and adapt what you have to make it work. The wood I used was just scraps from other projects. The plywood is hardwood plywood because I don't think standard pine or fir plywood will hold up. Like I said before I am sure shipping would be expensive but if someone can't come up with a way to make there own and is satisfied with mine I can make some. I am also going to try the strainer holes today and get a pic of it. Good luck everyone. akraven

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
RAPPLEBY2000 said:
or depending on your weight use a sofa and sit on one end with the press under one leg lower a cupboard onto it, jump up and down like a mad man! :lmao:
Are you saying that I am fat? :lmao:

My wife says that I have the figure of a racing snake. (Than has just eaten a really fat :censored: )

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
RAPPLEBY2000 said:
easy! jack it up, then lower a solid part of the chassis onto the press! ;)
you have some control with this method!

And so my eldest Son has just told me that they have huge fly press in his workshop at University and he could do this for me! Plus he can mill a nice edge on it, spray it and even drill the holes for the handle and strainer. :( I was looking forward to jacking the transit up

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
you ncould always make a spare! ;)

to be honest i've also been thinking of doing the same for a Mess tin i have, i hate carrying 2 but want a lid i have a quicly made one already but i'm thinking of making a mess tin lid about 1.5" deep so it can be used for cooking also, i know of the frying pan version but i'd prefer something slightly deeper!

Are you saying that I am fat?
i don't know how heavy you are but it'd work for me! ;)

Shepard

Tenderfoot
Jul 31, 2006
Norway
For those without heavy tools maybe an aluminium oven liner tray will do for making
a lid (+saving weight :lmao: )

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Mine's made of out the bottom of a ready-made quiche dish. Very light, can be folded in half for storage, does the job fine. Just be careful to roll the edges over, as they are very sharp when cut.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE