Crusader Lid project

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

akraven

Dec 18, 2004
Alaska
Well I really liked Rappleby2000's lid that he featured in his tutorial.http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=13853 I couldn't get the hang of rolling the edge over like he did without getting lots of wrinkles. So I tried it another way. I cut out the same shape in wood and then cut out the female half that was just a slight bit bigger. I then had two halves of a mold. I put a piece of light aluminum in between and tightened it up in my vice.
After that I trimmed of the edges and dressed it up,made a handle and painted it.
And here it is
Crusader%20lid%202

I am pretty happy with the final result. akraven

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Thats a really impressive piece of work, and like all good ideas it is so simple yet elegant when you think about it

Which paint did you use? :You_Rock_

akraven

Dec 18, 2004
Alaska
Thank you very much for the compliments. Its not perfect but it fits quite well and should last a long time. I used BBQ paint to paint it so I would have no worries about heat. As for selling them I am afraid shipping to the UK would be horrible. Also like I said they are not perfect and I would be afraid somebody would get one expecting a perfect machine made lid and be less than satisfied. Thanks again for the compliments. akraven

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
very well done!
not a way i'd try! it's a very good finish and i like the handle!

of course the crurved nature of it means it'll be easier to clean as well!
and you must have spray painted the lid mine is nowhere near that smooth!

i have only one possible concern(well it's not really a concern but i had to try to find something :rolleyes: )

when the cup boils there is sufficient space around my handle holes for steam presure to escape if you don't you might find the lid dancing around a bit on full boil? as i say not really a problem :rolleyes: prehaps if you drill through one or more of the rivets it would help?

a funny side to the steam escaping is on my first attempt of the lid i made from a sheet of steel, i had a wire loop handle (literally wire) the wire moved about when there was loads of steam indicating it had boiled! :)

akraven

Dec 18, 2004
Alaska
Here is a pic of the mold I used.
Crusader%20mold

The male side is walnut and the female side is hardwood plywood. I probably should have rounded over the leading edges of the female mold to allow the metal to start into it easier. Keep in mind if you try this that it took quite a bit of force on my large vice to do it. Wear appropriate safety gear in case you break the vice. As for the paint yes it was sprayed on in two coats and let dry in the summer sun. I will get it up to a boil today and see how much noise the lid makes bouncing around :) akraven

akraven

Dec 18, 2004
Alaska
Well I tried it on the stove boiling and it seems tovent fine enough around the side that it doesn't rattle or jump about. akraven

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
akraven said:
Well I tried it on the stove boiling and it seems tovent fine enough around the side that it doesn't rattle or jump about. akraven

Actually, you could cut a slot in one side ..or both sides, or perhaps drill a small mesh of perforations which would let the steam out - it would also work as a strainer for rice, noodles etc.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
akraven said:
Now that sounds like a good idea. I will give it a try and post a pic. akraven

Cool.

If they were small holes, maybe 2mm dia or so drilled close to the edge of the lid, you'd probably only need half a dozen or so. I guess some trial and error is involved. I wouldnt put too many in at first though, 'cos you could loose the benefits of using the lid in the first place.

I had a snow peak Ti mug with a lid that used the same principle.

akraven

Dec 18, 2004
Alaska
Thanks Martyn
I ran through the online metric conversion and figured it out! I'll try to post some pic's tomorrow of it. akraven

Thank you Clem!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE