crusader cup and cooker

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MickG

Forager
Feb 2, 2009
Blackwood South Wales
HI
new to the site and did a search for the crusader cup and cooker but have found no info
Just purchased one and tried it with some gell I dont have the small sachets so used gell out of a tin ,the same type made from sugar cane
filled the fuel holder full with gell and the cup was filled to about 300-400 ml of water
It burned and run out, the water was hot but not boiling
put about a teaspoon more in and brought the water to a boil
Did not register the total time.
I then tipped 20 ml of meths into the fire bowl, renewed the water and tried again
It burned for about 9 min and run out .the water was only hot so added another 10ml afer it had cooled slightly,it burned a few more minutes and brought the water to a boil
Have seen that it will bring 500ml to a boil in 8 minutes ,not in my trial

Tried using Hexi blocks on another test
Broke 2 squares into 1/4 and stood on end in the holder
Burned for 20 min and only reached 90 so did not roll boil
Loads of fuel left so removed 2 pieces and stired the others about to turn over and it burned for about another 20 min but the temp. was only 85
Not very impressed
What am I doing wrong?
Mick

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
imo the cooker is useless as is the jell but the mug is an awsome bit of kit:D i usualy dont bother with the cooker instead i just scrape a hole in the ground for hexiblocks and rest the mug on top or suspend the pot over a trangia burner, fire etc. a lid makes a big diference but dont buy the plastic one because it melts easily, i made my own and a hanger out of aluminium which clips around the rim. i find the cooker unit doesnt allow enough air to the fuel and i think thats is one of the resons why it doesnt work well. a tin can with lots of holes around the bottom works better. also the mug sits way too close to the flames when useing the cooker and alot of the heat is wasted up the sides of the mug, i know it is too close in the pic but that was befor i found that out lol

Image085.jpg

hope this helps:)

pete

preacherman

May 21, 2008
Cork, Ireland
I have the cook set and while I have never timed it I get half a crusader mug to boil using one sachet all the time. In fact it is still burning away when my water is boiled. When I bought it first this was not the case though. I made a lid from an old aluminium pot and that has made all the difference. Also the distribution of the gel is important. I usually tear along one line and squeeze out a small amount of gel. This is easily lit and concentrates the burn in a smaller area.

I like the system but the gel is expensive for me to buy here (about a pound a sachet) so I use it sparingly.

I'm reading this thread with great interest since I was going to get a Crusader system for my "wandering about and need a brew" configuration. I reckon I'm gonna go with the cup, handle and ally lid (nice idea), but what about a pocket burner? I'm guessing hexi is the best fuel choice here, not sure about the burner.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
I made a "pepsi can burner" that sat lower and worked well.

Yup me too, i never saw the thread though,
I made a "mini" coke can burner (the tiny sort of can usually sold singley) which worked quite well without making adjustments to the actual cooker.

i later wanted to improve the set up, and the "Mini" version is almost too small, i eventually came across a in-between size by red bull (sorry i can't remember the size), and it fits perfectly inside the crusader cooker ring, and works well and boils if you only fill the crusader mug about half full.

(the trick is to make the coke can shorter i.e with shorter walls, otherwise the mug will sit too close) much more tricky to do but worth the trouble!. using the mug lid will also help!

which is ok for a drink, but obviously you'd have trouble cooking a proper meal on it

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
warthog1981 makes crusader lids give him a PM and see when he's next making a batch if your interested?

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Yup me too, i never saw the thread though,
I made a "mini" coke can burner (the tiny sort of can usually sold singley) which worked quite well without making adjustments to the actual cooker.

i later wanted to improve the set up, and the "Mini" version is almost too small, i eventually came across a in-between size by red bull (sorry i can't remember the size), and it fits perfectly inside the crusader cooker ring, and works well and boils if you only fill the crusader mug about half full.

(the trick is to make the coke can shorter i.e with shorter walls, otherwise the mug will sit too close) much more tricky to do but worth the trouble!. using the mug lid will also help!

which is ok for a drink, but obviously you'd have trouble cooking a proper meal on it

I used a standard Iron brew can fitted fine. A lid is always a plus I have a frying pan/lid off a small mess tin set that I use (two for one)

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
The cooker's fine in my experience - it's the gel fuel that's pants. Like many others, I use a mini can stove inside it. Other important tricks are to use a lid and a wind sheild of some kind.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
HI
new to the site and did a search for the crusader cup and cooker but have found no info
Just purchased one and tried it with some gell I dont have the small sachets so used gell out of a tin ,the same type made from sugar cane
filled the fuel holder full with gell and the cup was filled to about 300-400 ml of water
It burned and run out, the water was hot but not boiling
put about a teaspoon more in and brought the water to a boil
Did not register the total time.
I then tipped 20 ml of meths into the fire bowl, renewed the water and tried again
It burned for about 9 min and run out .the water was only hot so added another 10ml afer it had cooled slightly,it burned a few more minutes and brought the water to a boil
Have seen that it will bring 500ml to a boil in 8 minutes ,not in my trial

Tried using Hexi blocks on another test
Broke 2 squares into 1/4 and stood on end in the holder
Burned for 20 min and only reached 90 so did not roll boil
Loads of fuel left so removed 2 pieces and stired the others about to turn over and it burned for about another 20 min but the temp. was only 85
Not very impressed
What am I doing wrong?
Mick

Did you have a close fitting aluminium lid on the top?

preacherman

May 21, 2008
Cork, Ireland
As I said earlier I have not had any problems bringing water to the boil since I made a lid to put on the mug.

I would be interested to know if the people that do not rate the cooker using greenheat are using the black mug or the stainless one. I have the black mug. I have heard that black is a better heat conducter and this might be the reason that I have found the cooker satisfactory and that the silver mug owners are not happy with greenheat.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I've got the black mug. The problem with greenheat is that is just doesn't burn properly if the ambient temperature is below about 15 deg. C. You can't get a brew on in the snow, because the stuff just doesn't burn.

elevenses

Forager
Jan 7, 2008
cheshire
I have been using both the gel and cooker system for some years now I like it as I can fit everything I need in a water bottle pouch.

But I have never been able to bring the water to the boil without a lid, I use a small sheet of stainless to act as a lid as it fits down the back of the pouch.

I hate hexy as it stinks is toxic and leaves the bottom of your mug in stinking toxic crap :(

I have been using the gel sachets rather than spooning it from a gel can. I have also found if you open a gel can and leave it without storing it in the fridge it “goes off” and does not burn as well or light as easily.

Just my opinion though ?

preacherman

May 21, 2008
Cork, Ireland
I've got the black mug. The problem with greenheat is that is just doesn't burn properly if the ambient temperature is below about 15 deg. C. You can't get a brew on in the snow, because the stuff just doesn't burn.

I have not used mine in the winter so far. After reading your post I must make sure to have a back up way to boil water. As I said earlier the sachets are expensive here so I do not really use them much.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE