crusader cooking unit & alcohol stove

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
I don't know if Martyn's stove will fit in to it. It's pretty small. A trangia burner certainly won't fit in. A normal tea light will, as will a thermonuclear tea light :rolleyes:

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
Yes they fit diameter wise, if you make them short enough they also fit when the set is packed up togther fr transport.

There is in an past thread on BCUK, which might require a bit of adavanced searching for, about spacing the burner holes to maximise the burn jet efficeincy specifically for the crusader cooker.

Gailainne

Life Member
Ho Ho thermo nuclear I can't manage but perhaps a tea light sized alcohol stove is a possibility, they are a fair size, its just a question of finding the right components to fit. If any one has a crusader cooking unit could they measure the fuel container, diameter and height

Cheers

Stephen

Glen cheers for that, we obviously posted at the same time, I'll see if I can find it.

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
Well i got all kinds of stoves that work in them crusader ones alcohol
i got some primus rock on e bay about 2. in long 1 in wide 3/4 thick i stand two on edge pure 1/2 oz. alcohol for burn little on each it boil a cup of water a still have some left i have on a 1/2 alcohol boil 16 oz water

this one i cut the primus in half the cups or pots sit on the stone the stone sits in a cover from a shoe polish can plus that what i use to keep then in wrp somethin so they do not move in tin can oh they are soft can cut in half with hack saw or can file to size to sute these two halves with hold 1/2 oz and little more these work good

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Gailainne said:
Found it, and another Scot to boot :D mini stove

Cheers

Stephen

Cheers mate! :) I've used that stove quite a bit since I made it, and I'm pretty happy with it. You do need to keep an eye on it to make sure it primes properly - if it's cold, the fuel in the top cup usually isn't quite enough. However, there's a bit of space in the crusader fuel well around it, and a bit of overspill into that usually does the job nicely.

For best effect, you want to make a foil windshield that's as tall as the whole cooker / mug stack. Really makes a big difference...

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
Is there really a huge difference between using a mini alcohol stove and just pouring meths into the crusader cooker's holder?

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
there is a massive difference.
the burner gives more heat for less fuel used.
i used a tomato puree/toast toppers sized tin for the base of mine, it's got a flat base so you can make the stove shorter without losing fuel capacity.

mal

Forager
Sep 20, 2004
Blackpool
use mine all the time love it bottom half toast topers tin top half red bull i even cook noddles and stuff like that in it :cool:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
A question to the stove builders out there. Would it be practicable to permanetly fit the top half of a meths stove to the cup in the base of a crusader mug cooker/stand/thingy?

I appreciate you can just make a stove to fit inside the cup but I quite like the idea of a fixed trangia type burner (some thing with a sealed screw on lid). Currently I'm not using the stove at all as I don't care for the jell and I prefer a proper hexi stove when using blocks.

ATB

Tom

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I suppose you could if you could find or make something the right size. The thing you might want to watch is the height - if you end up with something that sits more than a couple of millimeters above the existing height of the fuel well, you'll have a heck of a job getting the whole stack into a PLCE pouch. Of course, I you don't use a PLCE pouch that's not an issue.

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
Tombear i sent you a pm i guess you must be sleeping now it can be one i make all kinds of alcohol stoves fo my use i think i can help you

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Thanks oops56, reply sent.

gregorach, I'm using a old OG Arktis waterbottle pouch which is comfortably bigger than a issue one. Looking at their on line catalogue they don't make the dead same one anymore but they do do another version in DPM only. Does anyone else know if this is equally generously sized?

ATB

Tom

PS

Talking of jell powered stoves I have a UK issue/trials three piece job that consists of a base bowl, a chimney tower and a long thin pot that fits down the chimney. It came with a couple of squeeze tubes of paste/jell.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
if you permanently fit the top of a meths stove to the fuel cup of a crusader cooker you may run into problems lighting the stove.
most of the "photon" style stoves that get made from red bull cans etc need to be primed before they will work properly.
this involves pouring a little meths ontop of/around the base of the stove. this heats up the stove and vapourises the fuel so that the stove uses burning meths vapour, not the liquid fuel.
another point to ponder, if you don't permanently fit the burner unit, you can still use hexi blocks if you need to.
this makes the stove more effective and fuel efficient.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Ahhh! fair enough, I'm with you now.

What I was after was the conveniance of a trangia burner in the crusader stove/wind shield. Sounds like it's a no go then.

I'll stick with my click-stand + bent bit of wire for the crusader mug then.

Thanks for the advice :-{D)

Tom

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
it's still a go, i use the photon stove in my crusader burner and it boils water faster than the clickstand.
i usually carry both.
it simplifys the logistics of cooking.

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
The on one the left is made with a altoids can the burner on the right is a small shoe polish can with fiberglass in insulation put a window screen on top fiberglass hole in cover put all together the altioids pot legs come off and it all fits in can burner also the esbit one the stove will fit in it and will close the altoids pot stands turn in for small pots or cups turn out for big ones gee i hope i got this all said right oh a 1/2 oz. fuel will burn about 6 min. and boil 20 oz. water p s they both use the small shoe polish burner the will burne hold 3/4 oz. all most 1. oz

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Graham,

I made a small photon for my crusader but canot get the meths to light in the fuel cup around the burner. I think it's lack of oxygen in the narrow 'trough'. Any thoughts on that?
for size info, my photon is made with a toast toppers / mini coke can and is about 25mm high.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE