Crossbow recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
I'm looking to buy a crossbow for target shooting. It's a confusing world of a million possibilities out there, does anyone have any recommendations for a reasonable bow- preferably second hand to keep costs down.

Thanks all, Joab

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
150lb will put a bolt through a 1inch thick shed door :eek: oops

Last edited:

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
I would strongly suggest you research the rules of the allowed xbow equipment for the governing society you wish to shoot it under. They can vary quite a lot between societies and a bit of research could save you a lot of money.

allrightscud

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2013
Central Belt, Scotland
If you can find one a second hand barnnet commado I or II. Its a break action cocking system which means you get a consistant pull on the string and therefore a consistant fly with the bolt. I've had one for years and love it. They were originally 150lbs, 175lbs and over 200lbs I belive. I'm just restoring mine at the moment. They don't do the full size ones anymore but do a similar action in a hand crossbow. The only problem I'm finding is getting flat head nock bolts, they all seem to be half moon nock now.

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
Cheers guys, I'll check out a few of those right now! I have looked at the Barnett bows but struggled to differentiate between them. Sounds as though 150lbs is enough? What kind of distance do you get on a bolt like that? Does lbs equal power and distance? Thanks again Joab

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Such a shame that bow hunting of any kind is completely illegal in UK, can't even fire a bolt from a slingshot if hunting

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Keep some of that cash back for a target capable of taking a bolt at close range. Without one you will soon get bored of ruining bolts or only being able to shoot 5 yards.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It won't. A crossbow will put a bolt straight through a hay bale - it won't even slow down.

You need a proper crossbow target boss.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Right, ok, I'll get that sorted too. I use mattress foam for my pistol crossbow, it just about works.

I use two bails back to back for bows upto about 45lbs and even then its only the length of the shaft that slows the arrow. My heavy bows just blast straight through which is a pain in the butz.

Think ratchet strap and cardboard with a wooden frame if you want to go DIY but it does have to be solid. They are no-where near as efficient as a bow due to their physics but what they lack in performance they make up with it in shear power and light weight bolts. Dont want to put you off but unless you have access to a lot of land or some serious back stop and target you might get bored pretty quickly. Fascinating tools mind.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE