Crooked knife using Jojo blade/Mocotaugan

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
I have nearly finished my second crooked knife (using a blade made by Jojo). The first knife was "rustic", this one is more "finished" and has better ergonomics (largely due to the blade design.)

Mark I Svante Djarv bladed knife here.

Mark II is the same wood, so far unoiled.

I asked Jojo for countersunk holes in the tang to allow rivetting, whereas the Svante Djarv knife relies on a 90deg bend at the tip of the tang and mortice fit to fix the blade securely.

New knife is on the left:
DSCF4538.jpg

I don't have the chisels for it so used hobby knife from Aldi:
DSCF5597.jpg

DSCF5599.jpg

DSCF5600.jpg

Nearly finished:
DSCF5601.jpg

DSCF5603.jpg

DSCF5604.jpg

Works well in hand so far:
DSCF5607.jpg

DSCF5609.jpg

After reading Robin Woods observations about the shape and use of the handle, I have left enough "spare", rounded handle to reinforce grip with the left hand if working on a piece secured between the legs (be careful!)

I am slightly concerned that the small amount of wood that actually retains/secures the blade may not be enough. I suppose it depends if the rivets are taking the strain.

DSCF5612.jpg

If anyone has tried this style of blade fixation and found it to fail, please let me know and I'll try and reinforce with a spacer and wrap.

Jojo's blade geometry is much better than the (pricier) Svante Djarv. The latter is thicker and more hooked; I think the Jojo blade is going to see more use.

Tips and tricks/observations and advice, gratefully received.

Best wishes all,

Xav

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
Looks great!

What do you mean by: "I have left enough "spare", rounded handle to reinforce grip with the left hand"? Hold the handle with both hands?

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
Looks great!

What do you mean by: "I have left enough "spare", rounded handle to reinforce grip with the left hand"? Hold the handle with both hands?

Yes -Robin Wood made this point (on BritishBlades) having observed a proficient Mocotaugan user and tried it for himself. He suggested the thumb is probably usually wrapped around the index finger/handle, not extended up the "thumb-rest" portion of the handle.

Great job Xaviergoodjob. Would wrapping the top like the Mk1 help the strengh?:rolleyes:

I have delayed oiling the handle as this thought has crossed my mind. There is a significant difference in the construction of the two knives. Wrapping the newer one can't weaken it, but I'm not sure if it could prevent failure where I fear it could occur (where the spine of the blade meets the wood.) It all feels rock solid after testing, so far...

I think I'll see how it goes and learn from whatever happens!

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
That looks like a really nicely made crooked knife now Xavier. What wood have you used?

Did you also glue the blade before you pinned it to the handle? That would strengthen the joint. Personally, I would do a tight whipping around the handle/blade, because it does add quite a bit of strength, partly in preventing the wood from splitting. I have used linen thread, artificial sinew, polyester whipping thread. I quite like the artificial sinew for this, it looks quite traditional and it's very strong) Then applied some linseed oil to the whipping.

Last edited:

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
That looks like a really nicely made crooked knife now Xavier. What wood have you used?

Did you also glue the blade before you pinned it to the handle? That would strengthen the joint. Personally, I would do a tight whipping around the handle/blade, because it does add quite a bit of strength, partly in preventing the wood from splitting. I have used linen thread, artificial sinew, polyester whipping thread. I quite like the artificial sinew for this, it looks quite traditional and it's very strong) Then applied some linseed oil to the whipping.

I am not sure of the wood- could be cocobolo. I did epoxy (devcon 2 ton) before peening over the brass rods.

I might whip it: I have homemade rawhide and will be stalking this w/e so sinew will become available (I hope).

Thanks for the lovely (and sharp!) blade, Jojo.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE