Crooked knife blade - group buy?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
Profile A, please. Right handed.

I will Paypal tonight, sorry for any delay, was away@weekend...

I presume your email address is the one associated with your Paypal account...

Jim.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
PM sent! - sorry for the slow responce (a combination of being away and agony of choice....;) )

Thanks for your efforts Ronin!

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I just had a note from the maker. He has had to change his source of O-1 for this project. He expects my two blades to be ready in about 2 weeks.

Interestingly I choose both of those profiles for myself also. These are going to be fun I think. I am looking for some interesting tree crotches for the handles.

Schwert said:
I just had a note from the maker. He has had to change his source of O-1 for this project. He expects my two blades to be ready in about 2 weeks.

Interestingly I choose both of those profiles for myself also. These are going to be fun I think. I am looking for some interesting tree crotches for the handles.
Schwert, you wouldn't happen to know any good links for info by any chance would you? Coutel posted one over on BB but I've not been able to find much more.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Jon,

I am completey new to the use of these traditonal crooked knives. All mine are the short Kestrel Tool carvers...about a 2" blade at the max. I think the best source of info I know of is Jimbo's article. Hoodoo probably has an article or at least some photos on his crooked knives too.

http://www.oldjimbo.com/survival/ck.html

Online I have found some interesting handles done by Aaron York, but this is more about what could be done rather than using or what I will do.

http://www.geocities.com/atyork2001/knife.htm

It seems that Mike, the maker for this deal, seems to use straight handles on his crooked knives. My Kestrel knives all but one, have curved upswept handles. I am going to try and find suitable tree crooks that will make what I think of as a lazy L shaped handle. I have no idea how I will exactly work these up but I do not want a straight handle on these.

I have a traditionally handled spoon knife coming from a friend. The handle on this was done in wood supplied by Jimbo, so I should have a fine example of what to shoot for on these knives. I will post a photo of this knife when it arrives.

I think Mears has a birch bark canoe making DVD that he may have used a traditional crooked knife. I would be interested in reviewing his use.

I am an open book on these knives...with blank pages...I cannot wait to give them a shot.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I did a short search here and found these links:

Pictures of Hoodoo's collection in this thread

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=7657&highlight=crooked+knife

Link from Jimbo that illustrates handles well:

http://www.poleandpaddle.com/crookedknives.html

Which I found in this thread, which has 2 other useful links:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=5737&highlight=crooked+knife

Hoodoo's bottom knife has the sort of lazy L handle I want on mine. The Pole and Paddle link from Jimbo has plenty of examples too and use instructions.

Ronin

Tenderfoot
Oct 23, 2004
Penzance, Cornwall
Hi all,

Thanks for all the PMs and emails and for anyone who is not sure, seanpetty@freeuk.com is the PayPal address. Been struggling to get 5 mins to post to reply... :rolleyes:

As Schwert has mentioned, Mike's (the forger) steel supply has changed but that wont affect our order as we are on a 3-4 week delivery schedule anyway. Mike will be sending pics through at every stage of the forging so I will post them as they come in.

I will have to close the book on this order on Friday 12 noon so i can get the final details to Mike. Anyone else else interested will have to get their order to me by then. The prices will double after this order!

I will post a list of users and their orders Friday PM and will confirm the order with Mike on Friday night to allow for any changes etc.

Any problems email me on seanpetty@freeuk.com. Dont always get chance to pick up my PMs so the email is most reliable.

S.

Ronin

Tenderfoot
Oct 23, 2004
Penzance, Cornwall
Hi folks.

This order is now closed and I will start sending it through to Mike. :D

The members below are the ones who have paid and/or ordered so if you are missing or the order is wrong let me know ASAP on seanpetty@freeuk.com (and dont forget your username!). Doesnt mean I havent had the order, I just may have missed you of the list! :eek:

Bumblebee x 2 (A+H) Righthanded
Bardster x 2 (A+H) Lefthanded
Lost Patrol x 1 (H) Righthanded
Angus Og x 2 (A+H) Righthanded
Moduser x 2 (A+H) Righthanded
JimH x 1 (A) Righthanded
Swampy Donkey x 2 (A+H) Righthanded
Phillaw x 1 (H) Lefthanded
Scruff x 2 (H) Righthanded
g4ghb x 1 (H) Righthanded
Millbilly x 2 (A+H) Righthanded
Demographic x 1 (H) Righthanded
Motorbike Man x 1 (H) Righthanded
led x 1 (H) Righthanded
Scally x 2 (A+H) Righthanded
Maver x 2 (A+H) Righthanded
Beachlover x 1 (H) Lefthanded
Ogri the Trog x 1 (H) Righthanded :sad6: ;)
Elma x 1 (H) Righthanded

Thanks.

Sean.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Ronin said:
Hi folks.

This order is now closed and I will start sending it through to Mike. :D
Ogri the Trog...........

Sean.

Sean,
For my peace of mind, could you update the list to include my order for 1 off R/H profile "H" please. Email, payment and contact details already sent.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Email sent Sean, my name not listed, although you have Moduser down twice and his order is the same as mine :confused: , details on the email just sent

Mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE