Crooked knife blade - group buy?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
I might be interested, but an idea of the type of crooked knife and the angle of the blade would be good - as the following shows the variety some manufacturers offer:

diag.gif

Ronin

Tenderfoot
Oct 23, 2004
Penzance, Cornwall
Quick update...forgot to add earlier.

Blades are approx 20mm wide with a 1.5 - 2" tang and can be up to 9" long (total length)

Blade curvature can be specified and can cover most of the profiles in Match's pic.

It may pay to agree on 1 or two profiles for all blades. Waiting to get the new pics then will add them to the thread :D

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Cheers for the update ronin. I think you are right on ordering one or two styles as sorting out everyone with their custom model would be a real pain.

:)
Ed

M

Millbilly

I think the profile "c", or possibley "e" Would be the best for what i have in mind, but would love to hear the opinions of the more experienced forum members. What do you 'orrible have to say on the matter? :D

On second thoughts, e looks a bit extreme... Im going with c. ;)

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
Profiles c,h and 3 all look good to me, but likewise, I'd be interested to hear from someone experienced with them.

Ronin, are they really 9" long, or was that a typo? With a 2" tang that basically makes the blade about 7", and a crooked machete! If they're all different sizes "up to" 9" then somebody better pipe up with a suggested size fast, or we'll be forever getting so many people to agree.

Thanks again for being such a good sport!

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
I'lll just point out to folk that the picture I posted isn't of the ACTUAL blades - its from another crook knife manufacturer's website of the blade shapes they offer. Although if these are being custom made, then I'm sure they're useful as a guide. I'd put myself down for something similar to 'c'.

Also to reiterate the question about blade length/tang - is that total including handle? If so, what are the handle dimensions?

Ronin

Tenderfoot
Oct 23, 2004
Penzance, Cornwall
Just to clarify what Match has mentioned. The profile pic he posted in NOT from the forger that will be making the blades but as they can be forged to any profile you wish, they are still relevant.

Yes the blade length is accurate as quoted to me when I asked;

"That's pretty much up to the client. Generally between 6 and 9 inches total length. I like a 1.5 to 2 inch tang for stability so blade length would be anywhere from 4-7"

Lefties shouldnt be a problem. I think the general consensus here is that we should choose two profiles and 1 length and stick to that, we can always order more later should folks be happy to. Handles are available in traditional and slip style (looks like a long,fat knife blade, good for splitting) and in various woods BUT this will significantly affect the postage and delivery times and cost. All I have organised so far are the basic blades, with a variety of finishes available. No handles but the blades have been drilled ready to accept them.

Just to re-iterate, these are full length crook knives not hook knives. Having used them extensively in the past, they are very versatile tools but not suited to fine detail or very small work like spoons etc. with acute curves or angles. I know it is hard to comment without pics but as soon I have them, they will be up.

I have had a couple of pm's about hoof knives. I have used hoof knives (ex-farrier) and they are an ideal starter knife but they dont encourage good wrist position which leads to real joint fatigue :eek: if you step up to a bigger and flatter crook knife.

Preferred payment is by PayPal both for me and the maker's, will give us a faster turnaround and easier to make sure all the order is in. Can take chques if I have to.(pauses for breath....)

Sean.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE