Creepy Tech?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
No, you're not alone; and in any case, since when are kids not able to immediately find what they want to use for play?

An interesting thing in it's own right though................I'm not sure why, though.....

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Glad its not just me then !

( Does anyone remember the film 'Demon Seed'? Yikes!! )

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
A load of technology is creepy and starting to become threatening. That's not just our opinion, leading scientific minds also think so.

Lazy people are becoming more and more dependent upon gadgetry and less and less capable of doing things for themselves. Lakeland now sell an electronic soup maker for gods' sake. I have two soup making gadgets, a knife and a pan. I might use a blender sometimes, but an electronic, programmable device to make a bowl of soup? Get a grip.

Last edited:

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
No, you're not alone; and in any case, since when are kids not able to immediately find what they want to use for play?

An interesting thing in it's own right though................I'm not sure why, though.....

That's a really good point, always run to whatever they want. Can't imagine the health and safety brigade allowing them anyway. A self propelled climbing frame with no anchoring point. I'm not the biggest on health and safety and think bumps knocks and scrapes are part of growing up and that every kids diet should contain a bit of muck to build the immune system. But even I think that's sketchy

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
A load of technology is creepy and starting to become threatening. That's not just our opinion, leading scientific minds also think so.

Lazy people are becoming more and more dependent upon gadgetry and less and less capable of doing things for themselves. Lakeland now sell an electronic soup maker for gods' sake. I have two soup making gadgets, a knife and a pan. I might use a blender sometimes, but an electronic, programmable device to make a bowl of soup? Get a grip.

Completely Agree - Allow me to bump one of my older threads. http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71539&highlight=terminator

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland

I ask you seriously a soup maker! Almost as good as the bread maker. We've had one of those for years, except we always call it an oven

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
One day that climbing frame will realise that there is a whole world out there to explore, and then it will be off...

I'd love to read the trip report! :)

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands

BLENDER, ?!!! I suppose you also use fire to heat your mixture with too.

A lot of gadgets have been invented for a long time with just no real need, and they seem to suck the will and intelligence from people. A lot are useless clutter doing a job that is easily done without, and is a gadjet for gadgets sake. How many people really need a smothie maker really, or an electric juicer? As a comedian once said, there is a cupboard in their kitchen filled with such things, sandwich toaster, bread maker,rice cooker slow cooker food processor. Fads come and go. The only ones which really stood the test of time with me are toaster, kettle, deepfat frier and fondue set.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
BLENDER, ?!!! I suppose you also use fire to heat your mixture with too.

We do indeed cook on solid fuel :)

Some form of blender / food processor is useful when you cook a lot of stuff from scratch in large quantities. Finely hand dicing fifty onions of sieving three gallons of soup gets old fast. Even a bread maker I get. It takes an hour to make a loaf by hand, but two minutes to do it in a bread maker. That hour can be spent weeding or cleaning out chickens. But soup????? Chop stuff, cook it, whiz it smooth if you like, done. Nothing that can't be done with a knife and a sieve or done in bulk with a Kenwood Chef. Most importantly, those tools can do dozens of other tasks too.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Let's face it, just about anything that is designed to seek out children could reasonably be called creepy.

I agree that the dependence people have on technology these days is disturbing. I recall a couple months ago hearing that people called the police because facebook went down...

Oh well, when the apocalypse comes it'll be nice to be needed :D

On a related note, any fans of The Time Machine by HG Wells? People look more and more like Eloi to me every day.

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Hmmm, I just watched a video with that in, ok looks impressive. However there were no kids playing with it at all, a couple of shots with some adults tentatively touching it briefly. Actually let [say three] kids loose on it and within 10 mins you'd have a pile of bent pistons. I find it curious as to how this actually seeks people out, it seemed to be moving on a predefined course.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE