Creating Fire by Hand

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bigman

Life Member
May 28, 2006
Newton Abbot, Devon.
I've read several of the articles on here about creating fire by friction but I must be doing something wrong.

I understand that the drill should ideally be of elder and the hearth ivy or are there any other combinations of wood types that I could use.

I have had several goes at this and although the hearth gets very warm, still have not been able to get a glowing ember or smoke.

What am I doing wrong?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Hey there Bigman,
Are you following a particular tutorial? or just going by hearsay. It's a lot easier to learn if there is someone there to teach you, can you get to any moots?

I use hazel for the drill on red cedar or plain old pallet wood for the hearth. Make sure both are dry - a few days in the airing cupboard helps. Carve the start of the depression with the tip of a knife, then "burn-in" the drill and hearth. Then carve the notch and prepare the drill tip. When you go for the ember, bow steadily till you get thick smoke, speeding up when you feel almost ready to give up. If the pile of dust continues to smoke after you stop drilling, you should get a glowing coal.

I must admit that I tried for ages before being taught the right technique, it helps to know what to look for.

Good luck.

Ogri the trog

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
big man are you talking about bow drill or hand drill? your combination of woods seems to be using information from both techniques and now im confused :confused:
There is lots of information here abouts on both techniques but any questions fire away.

James

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Have a look at this article it covers most of the bases and this tutorial is very good advice.
personally I like to use elder drill on elder hearth or elder drill on alder hearth for my sets but there are other numerous woods available in the uk.

there should be enough info in these articles to keep you going for a while, but as always any questions ask away.

ooh just one point watch the blisters i over did it in the hot weather the other day and now have a 2 by 1 inch blister on my left hand so no fire drill practice for me.

James

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
not sure about what wood to use as i am a beginner but just dont use pine because of the resin

odin13

Forager
May 29, 2005
bristol, england
I didnt realise Hazel was a good wood to use, thats good news, i have both an several eldar trees, and several hazel trees! :D
which technique is easier to learn? im imagining hand drill?
ALEX

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
odin13 said:
I didnt realise Hazel was a good wood to use, thats good news, i have both an several eldar trees, and several hazel trees! :D
which technique is easier to learn? im imagining hand drill?
ALEX
Hi Alex........Hazel, as mentioned above is for the bow drill method, elder is good for hand drill, I use a wisteria drill bit wedged into the bottom of the elder, cutting out the pith and pushing up a small, cut to suit piece. I find this works better as the hand drill does not become shorter with use, you just replace the wisteria when it wears out. I use a pine hearth mainly...............Jon

odin13

Forager
May 29, 2005
bristol, england
o right thanks for that, i think i may have some wisteria in my garden also, and my neighbours have a pine, which sorta goes into our garden, perfect :cool:
cheers,
Alex

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
You can also use elder for the bow drill too, but you need to insert a piece of hardwood, cut to suit in the top where it goes into the bearing block, because with the pith in it, you cannot sharpen it to a point. Have found it works well...........Jon

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
odin13 said:
o right thanks for that, i think i may have some wisteria in my garden also, and my neighbours have a pine, which sorta goes into our garden, perfect :cool:
cheers,
Alex
I have made up loads of wisteria drill bits of differing thickness to suit different hearth woods................Jon

dsc02246large1jz.jpg

Bigman

Life Member
May 28, 2006
Newton Abbot, Devon.
jdlenton said:
Have a look at this article it covers most of the bases and this tutorial is very good advice.
personally I like to use elder drill on elder hearth or elder drill on alder hearth for my sets but there are other numerous woods available in the uk.

there should be enough info in these articles to keep you going for a while, but as always any questions ask away.

ooh just one point watch the blisters i over did it in the hot weather the other day and now have a 2 by 1 inch blister on my left hand so no fire drill practice for me.

James

Thank you for the articles, they very definitely provide a step by step instruction on how to prepare and achieve the end result.

My first couple of attempts just wrecked my hands, my palms were sore for a couple of days.

Now I understand brute strength doesn't achieve anything except for pain. :)

I have a buddleia tree in the garden so I will cut off a straight piece today and clean up and place in the airing cupboard, I have some pine in the the garage which will do the job (will also place in airing cupboard)

One question though can I print off the above articles to use as a reference for myself.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
of course print the articles off bcuk is a reference site after all.

one tip on the drills when i cut mine i strip off the bark and the lay them under a radiator for a couple of days bend them stright once before breakfast and once after dinner when i have then as stright as i can get them they then go in the airing for a few days.

James

Bigman

Life Member
May 28, 2006
Newton Abbot, Devon.
Thank you again, I will let you know how I get on.

I liked the second article by PatrickM with regards to the thumb loops which would provide a more even down force, but I will try both methods and see which one works best for me.

I can see that it is more technique and preparation which will achieve the desired results.

Bigman

Life Member
May 28, 2006
Newton Abbot, Devon.
I've just cut a piece off the buddleia tree, it's reasonably straight as well, just over 4ft long.

Stripped off the bark with my H1, so now into airing for a few days.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Good luck with it Bigman...........It takes some effort, but it is the most satisfying way of getting a fire going. Like most things it gets easier with practice, though be prepared to huff and puff. I saw James, when he first got an ember, and I think it has got him hooked as it has me..............Jon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE