Cramp ball fungus

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wookey

Mar 1, 2006
Penrith, Cumbria.
Can anyone help, I've been searching for this fungus in and around Cumbria but with no success. I was shown some on a course a couple of years ago but never found any. I think they grow on dead ash trees.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
elma said:
...what I would like to know is how do you prepare them for use :rolleyes:

Ian

Hi Ian,
The way I prepare Crampball is to dry it, I find doing it gently allows it to stay whole for ease of carrying.
When you want to use some, just break a piece off - the more confident you get - the less you'll use. For a fungus about the size of a golf ball, into three or four bits as a beginner, or 6 - 8 or more when you're proficient.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
I've collected and used many of these lovely things. I find them mostly on dead beech trees, but they can also be found on dead ash.

The important thing in preparing is getting them dry. I sit them on the radiator for a few days to a week, daily cleaning off the spore that they leave behind when they are drying. I then store them in a brown paper bag in the airing cupboard until I need them.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
I gathered some from the burnt heartwood of a vandalised Oak at the last scottish meet.
Must admit I'd never heard of it before and was meaning to split it up back at the meet but forgot. Came across a pocketful the next day thinking "what on earth....?"

Dried it on a sheet of paper on top of my monitor and shook off the spores by accidently knocking it over once. :rolleyes:

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Yep - they're quite common inside burnt out tree stumps - have a close look and see if you can see them - they look like small raised black bumps inside the wood, but exactly the same black colour as the surrounding charred surface.

Pappa

Need to contact Admin...
May 27, 2005
South Wales
www.plot55.com
I had an experiment recently, lighting various charred items with a flint and steel. Cramp balls that had been previously charred were really easy to light, as easy as charcloth. They provide quite a large area for sparks to land and the sparks 'catch' quickly. The only downside was that they are a little cumbersome to hold in the same hand as a piece of flint, although once I worked out a good technique, it wasn't really a problem.

Pappa

Ranger Bob

Nomad
Aug 21, 2004
Suffolk
Pappa said:
I had an experiment recently, lighting various charred items with a flint and steel. Cramp balls that had been previously charred were really easy to light, as easy as charcloth. They provide quite a large area for sparks to land and the sparks 'catch' quickly. The only downside was that they are a little cumbersome to hold in the same hand as a piece of flint, although once I worked out a good technique, it wasn't really a problem.

Pappa

You could lay the cramp ball down and strike the flint downwards against the steel to send the sparks downwards....that way you don't need to hold the fungus in an awkward manner :) This is the european method of striking sparks.

Pappa

Need to contact Admin...
May 27, 2005
South Wales
www.plot55.com
Thanks, I hadn't thought of that. I suppose I was just stuck in my technique.

By the way, extinguishing cramp ball fungus can be a bit tricky. If it's just a small area burning you can put it out with a finger, but if the whole mass is alight, I found it best to seal it in a jam jar for a few minutes. This also has the advantage of keeping the surface 'fluffy' and fissured, which seems to be much better for catching sparks.

I tried the same experiment with charred razor-strop fungus and charred wild clematis bark. Although I did catch a spark with the razor-strop fungus, both items were far more difficult. I think this was because when they burn, the burning portion turns to ash much more quickly, leaving very little charred material, just a flat black surface which is very shallow (with uncharred material close underneath). The cramp ball fungus keeps it's shape and structure quite well after it has been partially burned, a lot like charcoal.

I suspect all the items would work well if they were charred properly like charcoal or charcloth, but I was looking for something that required little more perperation than being briefly burned and extinguished. (Otherwise I might as well just use charcoal or charcloth).

Pappa

Nigel

Forager
Dec 6, 2003
Carmarthenshire
Wookey said:
Can anyone help, I've been searching for this fungus in and around Cumbria but with no success. I was shown some on a course a couple of years ago but never found any. I think they grow on dead ash trees.

Hi Wookey,

If you need a couple to play around with until you get some I could send you a few. Just pm me.

ATB
Nigel

Apr 30, 2006
Upminster, Essex
You will find these on ash tree mostly.
On the dead limb normally storm or pruning wounds.
Little round black lumps with circles on the inside.
Hence the latin Daeldinia concentrica

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
Not that it helps, but the wood near me is full of the stuff. I s'pose I could post you a ball, if you can't find any.

sabre iom

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2005
Isle of Man
Wonder if it has anything to do with your location, they are quite hard to find here on the Island too, I wondered if its the climate difference in the north? Or are they found as far up as Scotland?, i was in east sussex a fortnight ago and they were everywhere.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE