Cracked Computer Screen

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi everyone :D

I recently brought a new lap top (had it less than 5 months!) and a few weeks ago I accidently broke the screen :( I cant afford to buy a new lap top and it seems silly as the computer its self is fine, its just the screen is cracked! It wasnt so bad at first, but now its starting to 'bleed' more :(

Does anyone know how much it will cost to get it fixed and where the best place to take it is?

Cheers :D

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
We had a similar problem with Eldests laptop, so we took it back to the shop (PC World), gave them a sob story and two weeks later he got it back, not only with a new screen, but with a new keyboard as well and running better than it did when he first got it - superb service, it was all covered under the warranty, which surprised us.

Suggest going back to the shop you bought it from and see what they say, they might help out they might not, wont know unless you ask im afraid.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Failing that - My works laptop developed a screen fault about 1 week outside of warranty.. after getting some horrendous quotes for repair, our IT guy bought a replacement screen (new) off ebay for about £13 posted and I swapped it out myself in about 10 minutes :)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
If they won't fix it under warranty and it's to be boat based, I'd take Mr mountainm up on his offer. Well worth trying the warranty thing though. I sat on mine and they still sorted it out. You just have to win over the salesperson, if they like you, they'll bend the rules.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
look up the make and model for a new screen,we did this for mrs fish and it cost £80,dead easy to do it just plugs in,a couple of retaining screws thats all. mean time get a lead and use a separate pc screen.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Hi everyone :D

I recently brought a new lap top (had it less than 5 months!) and a few weeks ago I accidently broke the screen :( I cant afford to buy a new lap top and it seems silly as the computer its self is fine, its just the screen is cracked! It wasnt so bad at first, but now its starting to 'bleed' more :(

Does anyone know how much it will cost to get it fixed and where the best place to take it is?

Cheers :D

Give me the Make and model number and i'll see what I can lay my hands on, I am able to source stuff like this quite easily.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It sounds like you're probably sorted but if not give me a shout and I can probably get it replaced for you.

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
I wouldn't trust PC World (KnowHow as their repair chain are now called), I used to work for them and their repair centres are a shower of ****, that being said, some of the technicians are decent folk but they're liking rocking horse ****.

as has been said, drop the make and model and someone will be able to source something for you.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
If you didn't let Hamish go off and buy fancy boots all the time he could buy you and nice new shiney one :)

stir.gif

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Ah the scorn of a exDSGI employee, I have met a few in my time all with the same pent up rage and it's fully justified.

I have had to go with a number of people to PC world to explain why a PC has failed, or they have made a simple job worse 5 weeks for a PSU replacement, whole new PC needed because a single stick of DDR2 has gone belly up, re-imaging a PC without backing up the data, downgrading graphics cards etc.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I wouldn't trust PC World (KnowHow as their repair chain are now called), I used to work for them and their repair centres are a shower of ****, that being said, some of the technicians are decent folk but they're liking rocking horse ****.

Ah the scorn of a exDSGI employee, I have met a few in my time all with the same pent up rage and it's fully justified.

I have had to go with a number of people to PC world to explain why a PC has failed, or they have made a simple job worse 5 weeks for a PSU replacement, whole new PC needed because a single stick of DDR2 has gone belly up, re-imaging a PC without backing up the data, downgrading graphics cards etc.

Not been my experience at all, ive/we've always received superb, friendly and knowledgeable service from our local branch, problems (rare) with equipment or purchases have always been sorted out in a professional and efficient manner, whilst im no IT bod, im no slouch when it comes to technology either, as i stated above, eldests laptop had a problem and two weeks later when it came back, the machine was ten times better than it had been out of the box brand new, it went in for a screen replacement and came out with a new screen, new keyboard as they identified a problem with that, that we were unaware of and it just seems to run faster and more efficiently, guess we must have all the good guys down here :)

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
Not been my experience at all, ive/we've always received superb, friendly and knowledgeable service from our local branch, problems (rare) with equipment or purchases have always been sorted out in a professional and efficient manner, whilst im no IT bod, im no slouch when it comes to technology either, as i stated above, eldests laptop had a problem and two weeks later when it came back, the machine was ten times better than it had been out of the box brand new, it went in for a screen replacement and came out with a new screen, new keyboard as they identified a problem with that, that we were unaware of and it just seems to run faster and more efficiently, guess we must have all the good guys down here :)

Quite possible, don't get me wrong there are some good people in the in-store clinics and in the on-call team that do the home/business call-outs but have had no end of problems from the repair centres, specifically the one in Mansfield.

Hope you get/got it fixed anyhow :)

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton
Quite possible, don't get me wrong there are some good people in the in-store clinics and in the on-call team that do the home/business call-outs but have had no end of problems from the repair centres, specifically the one in Mansfield.

Hope you get/got it fixed anyhow :)

That's true - Mansfield is the pits.

Tried to con a friend - many years ago that a hard drive failure within first 3 months was not covered as they were consumables :(

Hi Everyone

Thank you so much for all your help and advice and thank you to those who offered a monitor. I thought about getting a monitor, but I have no room on the boat!! :( I looked at all the literature to do with my computer and it says nothing about broken screens and if its covered or not. I think I will take it all back to Tesco first and see what they can do, you never know I might just get someone in a good mood!! :p If they cant/wont do anything about it, i'll see about doing it myself or sending it to one of you kind people!

Thanks again guys :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE