Crack in Granfors Mini Hatchet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

soggy boots

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2007
Manchester
I recently bought a Granfors Mini Hatchet and discovered a crack propagating from the eye on the underside of the head.
The crack only appears on the underside. The topside is clear.
It may be a product of the manufacturing techniques or, it may be a result of a tighter than normal fit of the shaft.
It may not affect the performance or life of the axe, because of the light nature of work expected of it. But during usage my mind keeps wondering back to that CRACK.
Any comments on this subject will be appreciated!!

Soggy Boots:(

Attachments

• Granfors01.jpg
    Granfors01.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 255

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Hard to tell from the photo but it looks like the forge weld where the billet has been folded round a drift to form the socket.

I'm presuming it's a forged head because I've never owned one but it should cause no problems.

I've had something similar on a forged axe head for 20 years and it wasn't new when I got it.

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
Hi Soggy Boots
I had a similiar concern abouit an axe I bought on a group by only to find out is is an integral part of the manafacturing process. My mini hatchet also has a similiar crack and has had some hard abuse as I have used it a lot for removing waste timber when making bows and carving and it shows no movement. If you inspect any of the larger gransfors axes you will see they all have a similiar crack, in fact somewhat larger. It was in fact British Red who put my mind at rest. I hope this info helps put your mind at rest, enjoy the excellent tool you have purchased but be carefull of your fingers :)

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I may be wrong but I thought the eye on these is formed by punching a hole through a blank then drawing out the shape. If Cegga is around he would tell us. This contrasts to English Kent patern axes which were made by wrapping the steel round a mandrel then forge welding it. The weld often comes apart a little at the point where you say there is a crack but I have never seen one actually open up.

Your photo or my eyes are not clear enough for me to see much really but the short answer is, I have no doubt that the crack will not open up even with hard use. I have complete confidence in kent axes that have really very open cracks at that point.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Ah FGYT beat me to it, good post and good link. Cegga explains there that the eye is first drifted out larger than closed back up resulting in what looks like a crack. Nowt to worry about.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
What they all said. I knew very little about the issue which can appear to a greater or lesser extent in many of the better axes. I've done lots of tough jobs with GB, Wett and Cegga axes that show this - nowt to worry about at all

However if it woriies you, Ill pay the postage plus a quid to relieve you of the problem :)

Red

Staghound

Forager
Apr 14, 2008
Powys
www.mid-waleslogbuildings.co.uk
Funny what you don't notice until somebody points it out, I use a GB 1900 pattern broad axe, which I just checked and it has a slightly open join in the same place. Never saw it before, I did find Cegga's explanation for it in the thread mentioned above very interesting, it's always nice to find out about the work and knowledge that goes into making the tools one uses everyday without giving them a thought.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
it's not a crack ;)

It's a cold-shut (not even that really) ;)

a crack is break in the metal, what you have there is where the eye was drifted open and then the sides of the head forged back down into shape. That then closed the eye a little at the end where the the slot (which became the eye) was cut :) Nothing to worry about. A proper cold shut is a failed weld, but the GB axes (the standard ones) are forged form a single piece of steel, so no welds.

soggy boots

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2007
Manchester
Thanks to all who came to my aid and put my mind at rest.
I thought that the eye was punched out of the hot billet but, it makes more sense when explained by all you makers out there.
So I'll now keep my axe and my mouth "Cold Shut" and turn down the offer of a quid for the axe.:D
Thanks again
Soggy Boots

Cegga

Nomad
Dec 21, 2006
Sweden
cegga.spaces.live.com
Hey !!
I think I had answer this on a other tread but I can not find it ?
That crack come´s when we punch out the hole ,The hole have to be a little bigger on the underside so the rest materia can fall out and when you forge it thogether it be a small crack and it´s not deep so nothing to warryed about I still havent have one that crack there .
cegga

seved

Maker
Dec 10, 2007
Sweden
www.sevedsknivar.se
it's not a crack ;)

It's a cold-shut (not even that really) ;)

a crack is break in the metal, what you have there is where the eye was drifted open and then the sides of the head forged back down into shape. That then closed the eye a little at the end where the the slot (which became the eye) was cut :) Nothing to worry about. A proper cold shut is a failed weld, but the GB axes (the standard ones) are forged form a single piece of steel, so no welds.

I agree a crack can keep on. But not this.

Seved

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE