• I wanted to be an Indian.

Votes: 21 38.2%
  • I liked both.

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • I started Cowboy and turned Indian.

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • I started Indian and turned Cowboy.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I didn't play that game/wasn't interested.

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Other

Votes: 4 7.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
When our boys were 7 and 5, we did an extended road trip across the States and spent a lot of the time in the "four quarters" area - New Mexico, Arizona, Utah and met a lot of Native Americans as they were often rangers on the National Forest campgrounds. I still treasure the memory of my boys playing cowboys and indians with real Navajo Indians. The irony was that my blond, white, blue-eyed boys were the Indians while the Navajo kids were the cowboys.

We found it odd that having been out of Europe for nearly two years, we felt as if we were coming home when we were in the Navajo and Hopi areas and seemed to have more in common with them than most Americans of European descent. It may have been our shared interest in art and craft skills, but many Americans in the area appeared to have little interest in the indigenous culture.

The realisation that as I sit writing this, I am wearing a Suni silver sandcast belt buckle as I have every day since I bought it in New Mexico in the 1970s, may go some way to answering the question in the OP.

munkiboi182

Jan 28, 2012
taverham, thorpe marriott, norfolk
didn't play cowboys 'n' injuns much as a kid but i was always more favored to being a cowboy. think it was something to do with watching lightning jack alot with my dad. we always played at robin hood, i think we must have built bout 30 tree houses in total. it was always good fun until my brother came off the rope swing at high speed, face first.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I had a recuring nightmare that the Milky Bar Kid used to come into my room and set the place on fire so I couldn't escape. He's stand there and laugh the evil little &$%~. Didn't eat white chocolate.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
We played Cowboy & Indians a lot. Usually on our real horses as we started riding before starting school. We also played modern war (if WWII would still be considered modern) and we played space explorers and Martians as well as Everglades airboat explorers, Tarzan, Safari, etc. My personal favorite was WWII.

But as for the OP's poll, I voted Other. In my mind it was Cowboy & Indian games but rather than being either of those two, I usually wanted to be the Cavalryman or the Wagonmaster.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
This is a no-brainer for me: Who had the cool buckskins, great haircuts, semi-wild ponies to fly around on, lived in the coolest of tipis and smoked the pipe of peace? Oh yeah, not the cowboys............atb mac

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
My gran and her sister went to America on holiday. They brought back an Indian Chief's feathered head dress and a tomahawk for my big brother - the rest of us had to be the cowboys.

But it was Kwai Chang Kane - from the Kung Fu TV series in the 70's - that I wanted to be, beating up the bad cowboys.

Liam

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE