Cowboy? Need help BCUK...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Well back in early October I struck a deal with Cowboy of this parish for an axe dangler and a sheath for an Gransfors small forest axe, custom to my own specifications design wise. I swapped him a large birch kuksa (I didn't make it) and a bottle of Glenmorangie whiskey (lying unwanted in house, not mine, though had full permission to trade it). I sent them to him and he told me they had arrived. I asked if the leather would be with me before Christmas and he said it would be with me long before then. I still haven't got anything and I know he is a busy man, but his profile says he is banned and I don't have any details as I deleted his address.

Long and short of it is he has my stuff, I don't have the leather and I have no way of contacting him, what should I do? Does anyone have his address?

(This is not a thread having a go, just need some guidance)

Thanks in advance :).

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There's been more than one problem with cowboy.

Basically BcUK quite clearly states that the site, owner, etc., are in no way responsible for any trades, sales, swaps, etc., between members.
That's the up front legal bit.

The reality is though that no one involved in BcUK likes to see anyone taken to the cleaners.

There is nothing that we can do about things like this, but, in this instance I can tell you that a Mod did contact Cowboy and he was given a week to sort out his dealings. We know of one that came through, but the other that we knew of did not.
The only threat we have is to ban someone from the forum and thus limit his chance to buy, sell or trade, etc.,
He disobeyed a direct Mod request (to finish his sales promptly within a specified reasonable time) so he was banned.

Neither Mods nor Admin have any access to any other individuals pms. They are just that and private.
None of us had traded with him, and we had no other indications that things were not as they ought to have been apart from his habit of constantly trying to buy at greatly reduced prices on any sales thread that caught his eye.

There have been considerations of having a kind of feedback such as on ebay, but the logistics of adding it to the site aren't as straightforward as it might seem.

I am really, really tempted though to push the idea that if you buy or trade with someone, then feedback must be left in the thread.

I realise that this does not help with those deals that are privately arranged, but out of the thousands of successful ones, it seems that it's a very small percentage that fail.
I wonder if somehow we could do it through the poll option on threads ? :dunno: or maybe ask that anyone who sells does so under one thread ?
It's just a pain; it really is.

I'm sorry that it seems you have been caught in this Cameron.

The site has a policy of not slandering anyone. I will put a link into the Mods for discussion about this thread, but for the meantime I am annoyed enough with Cowboy's behaviour to leave it where folks concerned can see it and get in touch with each other if necessary.

Toddy

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria

Basically BcUK quite clearly states that the site, owner, etc., are in no way responsible for any trades, sales, swaps, etc., between members.

The reality is though that no one involved in BcUK likes to see anyone taken to the cleaners.

There is nothing that we can do about things like this, but, in this instance I can tell you that a Mod did contact Cowboy and he was given a week to sort out his dealings. We know of one that came through, but the other that we knew of did not.
The only threat we have is to ban someone from the forum and thus limit his chance to buy, sell or trade, etc.,
He disobeyed a direct Mod request (to finish his sales promptly within a specified reasonable time) so he was banned.

Neither Mods nor Admin have any access to any other individuals pms. They are just that and private.
None of us had traded with him, and we had no other indications that things were not as they ought to have been apart from his habit of constantly trying to buy at greatly reduced prices on any sales thread that caught his eye.

There have been considerations of having a kind of feedback such as on ebay, but the logistics of adding it to the site aren't as straightforward as it might seem.

I am really, really tempted though to push the idea that if you buy or trade with someone, then feedback must be left in the thread.

I realise that this does not help with those deals that are privately arranged, but out of the thousands of successful ones, it seems that it's a very small percentage that fail.
I wonder if somehow we could do it through the poll option on threads ? :dunno: or maybe ask that anyone who sells does so under one thread ?

The site has a policy of not slandering anyone. I will put a link into the Mods for discussion about this thread, but for the meantime I am annoyed enough with Cowboy's behaviour to leave it where folks concerned can see it and get in touch with each other if necessary.

Toddy

Thanks a lot for the clarification, I was wary that BCUK aren't responsible just wondered if anyone could help contact him, I have his address and I shall send him a kind letter asking if he could finish the leather and ship it to me.

A feedback rating for traders/sellers would be a great idea, I have had successful and great trades with everyone else I've dealt with and had some very kind gifts too! :)

Thanks a lot for the info! :)

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Cowboy was always crap at posting stuff and thats why i never got into any deals with him bar one gift it on that took an eternity. Having met him though he was a nice chap. Hopefully he will pull through for you. Excellent post Mary!

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Cowboy was always crap at posting stuff and thats why i never got into any deals with him bar one gift it on that took an eternity. Having met him though he was a nice chap. Hopefully he will pull through for you. Excellent post Mary!

Cheers mate, I hope he does too, he did always come across as a good bloke, just a bit slow. :)

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I feel a feedback score/system for each member would be a great idea. I've no experience with running/operating forums but I used to use one that had a feedback system and it really helped people make informed decisions, especially when potentially large amounts of cash are being traded!

I guess its down to costs and programming though..?

Had no idea cowboy got the boot!

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I feel a feedback score/system for each member would be a great idea. I've no experience with running/operating forums but I used to use one that had a feedback system and it really helped people make informed decisions, especially when potentially large amounts of cash are being traded!

I guess its down to costs and programming though..?

Had no idea cowboy got the boot!

I think it's a great idea too! :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Sounds like a really good idea to me, as well; Although I've had no problems with sales or trades myself, apart from very tiny niggles.

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire

Toddy

on the car club im a member on we have something called itrader, we run a VB forum too and im sure its just an add on though im not sure what version you have to run to get it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We used to have a kudos system, but it was abused by a small group intent on boosting their pals scores for the most inane comments. In the end it became more trouble than it was worth :sigh:
A less malignant group caused the same reaction on BB too, iirc.

M

Last edited:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Good idea though some way of scoring people for their work and trades, I think it would help, although 99.9% of the people on here are great :).

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Yeah, that's been key in holding off installing the add on, it's only instances like this that bring it to light and they're few and far between and in reality they'd happen anyway, there's usually no sign that someone is going to get stitched up until a few people get stitched up all at the same time. When bad traders do come to light we usually just prevent them form trading any more.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Yeah, that's been key in holding off installing the add on, it's only instances like this that bring it to light and they're few and far between and in reality they'd happen anyway, there's usually no sign that someone is going to get stitched up until a few people get stitched up all at the same time. When bad traders do come to light we usually just prevent them form trading any more.

You cant say much more then that :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE