Covid 2nd jab

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dean4442

Nov 11, 2004
Wokingham UK
Pretty fed up of this whole mess now and really want to get back to some sort of normal, whatever that's going to look like! We've been following the rules, didn't see my mum apart from zoom calls and one socially distanced visit throughout the first lockdown. At the start of the second one when they brought in the support bubbles we decided to bubble up with my mum due to the impact that another period of isolation was going to have on her mental health.
After all that and me having to go out to work but being careful we got all the way until the last week of school for the kids and then both of them were sent home from different classes due to cases. Then after them isolating my son tested positive followed four days later by my wife, really frustrating that just as everything is opening up we're locked down tighter than ever before! :(
Sorry just wanted to rant AAAAAAGH

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I know of four local extended families who were all careful, took every precaution, but they've all gone down with it (two very seriously not well) after the children ended up being sent home because someone in their class has a positive case.

I know it's necessary that we get back some normality, but well, the statistics show we're killing six people a day up here to achieve that.

Aye. Not easy, is it ?

Reactions: Scottieoutdoors

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
But given everyone is different, to have different lives, experiences and expectations, what is normality? Oh, how it used to be, what if those times are gone like they generally are after great human upheavals, where perhaps the upheavals are part of evolution to knock us out of stagnation. Stagnation of which is perhaps where we may have been in normality to hear of folk of whom has used to lockdown to take stock of their lives and there seek to do better. I know normality is predictable and comfortable, but it's also limiting of potential where perhaps this uncertainty we now feel to desire the comfort of what we knew as normality is the age old animal fear contained within uncertainty.

Thirteen unfortunates have thus far died in Devon & Cornwall in the last three weeks.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Those who do not want the vaccine would say that those who have had it, and support vaccination, have bought into a media and government lie and lack critical thinking ability.
Because I am not an expert on medicine and won´t start reading about covid (because it will not make me any wiser) I choose to believe the government and take the shots. Got first one 26.5 and second one will come on 18.8.
It is astounding how many medical experts have crawled up under every stone since covid started. If they are such experts, why do they not work in the medical field and put their heads togerther and invent cancer cure or whatever usefull.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Because I am not an expert on medicine and won´t start reading about covid (because it will not make me any wiser) I choose to believe the government and take the shots. Got first one 26.5 and second one will come on 18.8.
It is astounding how many medical experts have crawled up under every stone since covid started. If they are such experts, why do they not work in the medical field and put their heads togerther and invent cancer cure or whatever usefull.

I like your last point, I saw a meme something along the lines of "all the docs, nurses, virologists, etc all say covid is dangerous, but then all of those who barely passed school level science say it isn't, it's so confusing who to believe anymore."

@Silverclaws2 interesting about "normality", during the first lockdown when all the McD's and all those closed, I was thinking "is this a new world of healthier living we're going to reopen to?"... Then they opened and the tailbacks in the drivethroughs ended up blocking some of the largest roads in Plymouth and dashed my hopes...

Reactions: Woody girl

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
@Silverclaws2 interesting about "normality", during the first lockdown when all the McD's and all those closed, I was thinking "is this a new world of healthier living we're going to reopen to?"... Then they opened and the tailbacks in the drivethroughs ended up blocking some of the largest roads in Plymouth and dashed my hopes...

And what's wrong with 98% beef between two pieces of sesame seed bread with a little salad? ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Scottieoutdoors

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Life isn't changing much for me at the moment.im still taking every precaution I ever was. It isn't over yet, and I don't feel that I need a holiday so much that I'm willing to take a risk on my health.
To say we need to getback to a normal life is strange, so many lives have changed forever, and as we are going to have to deal with this for some time to come, trying to go back to the old normal will be a challenge. It is a time for taking stock, changing what needs changing, and beginning to live a better life with less impact on the planet. No better time to do it. We've had enough time to sit and think, but I'm afraid many will have filled that time with beer and TV or computer games.
Remember when we all thought how marvelous it was to have clear skies with no planes, and with no cars on the roads pollution levels going down. First chance to get in the car, or have a holiday abroad, and its all forgotten. Sigh.

Reactions: Silverclaws2

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
We've had enough time to sit and think, but I'm afraid many will have filled that time with beer and TV or computer games.
But surely, if everyone sat on a settee drinking beer and watching TV (i.e. not going anywhere or using any fuel) it would be good for the planet (and I could wander in peace in the countryside).

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
I eat fast food now and then but never from those international joints (McD and what not). I buy from local fast food shops that´s not part of a chain.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
And what's wrong with 98% beef between two pieces of sesame seed bread with a little salad? ;)

Personally I prefer the Burger King offering, but I cannot go near either without thinking of this bit from the book "Good Omens", where Famine (aka Sable, Horseman of the Apocalypse and inventor of fast food) is checking on the service at one of his restaurants.
Hello-my-name-is-Marie gave Sable his MEAL™ and told him to have a nice day.

He found a small plastic table, sat down in the plastic seat, and examined his food.

Artificial bread roll. Artificial burger. Fries that had never even seen potatoes. Foodless sauces. Even (and Sable was especially pleased with this) an artificial slice of dill pickle.

Reactions: Toddy

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk

Personally I prefer the Burger King offering, but I cannot go near either without thinking of this bit from the book "Good Omens", where Famine (aka Sable, Horseman of the Apocalypse and inventor of fast food) is checking on the service at one of his restaurants.

luckily our McDonalds only use British and Irish beef that meets the necessary standards - it's as good (if not better) than most supermarket beef mince as far as I can tell.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Ok getting off topic but just "gots to show yous" what I mostly buy as fast food.
Fries and sausages. It ain´t pretty but it´s tasty.

1272334.jpg

Reactions: Broch

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
And what's wrong with beef , well how about the herds that are grown to supply it, them and their methane, for forests, even the lungs of the world to be cleared to farm it, all so a minority of the world's population can enjoy it between two pieces of sesame seed bread.

When there's no bush to bushcraft in what will bushcrafters do

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
So who will do my conservation grazing now? Horses?

The function of horses seem to be to keep horsiculture people in business.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
And what's wrong with beef , well how about the herds that are grown to supply it, them and their methane, for forests, even the lungs of the world to be cleared to farm it, all so a minority of the world's population can enjoy it between two pieces of sesame seed bread.

When there's no bush to bushcraft in what will bushcrafters do
To be fair, you don't have to have it with sesame seed bread... You can always have it with chips and onion rings, or in a pie with some ale... Or even a load of roast spuds and gravy..

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
A lot is offset by the 60 million bison that no longer exist
60 million is a mere drop in the ocean compared to the one billion head USDA have reported existed in the world in 2021

So give an individual bovine can produce between 250 and 500 litres of methane per day, that's a hell of a lot of greenhouse gas being produced

And here's some fun facts from the World Economic Forum, concerning just how much meat we eat and it's effect on not only the environment but resources necessary for human survival.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE