Could this be my first Pignut find...?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
It sure does look like one. Was it brown before you removed the skin?

And I'll second JD's comment about Paul Kirtley's article, well worth reading :)

JDO330

Nomad
Nov 27, 2007
Stevenage, Herts.
Hi Mesquite / JD.

Yes, it did have a thin brown skin on it that was easily removed with my finger nail.

Its a funny thing, I took some time out today for a very quick walk in the woods (45mins max) to see how the bluebells were coming on and I nearly always enter and exit the wood in the same place. I found this on the way back out and lucky old me appears to have hit Pignut gold as there were 100's of them!

Before I dug it up I Googled "pignuts" on my phone and came across the site listed above. I read it a couple of times and paid attention to details such as the stem or root narrowing and going off at a right angle. It was carefully extracted with the assistance of the Awl on my SAK Soldier, its all I had on me.

Megga chuffed now, although I shall give the Paul chap a google and see what he has to say before I go back and have my dinner!!

Cheers Guys.

ATB, Jon.

JDO330

Nomad
Nov 27, 2007
Stevenage, Herts.
Absolutely. I just read it a couple of times and im 100% sure what I have is a pignut. I shall monitor this patch all season now so I can see how they change through thier natural cycle - the my eye will well and truly be in;)

I shall now subsribe to his newsletters.

Thanks for your help.

Regards, Jon.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I took a little trip to gold old bonnie Scotland last year for a bit of a Mooch around and couldn'g get over how many Pignuts were present.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE