Tarpology Knots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

suenosch

Jul 1, 2009
Chester
The pictures strike me as being particularly clear. You must have put a lot of thought into that, Chris.

In 1986 my wife gave me a copy of The Ashley Book of Knots. I browse through it occasionally looking for interesting items. One that caught my eye a few weeks ago is The Span Loop (number 1049 in that book). Clifford Ashley writes "This is exceptionally easy to untie and is, moreover, one of the strongest and most secure of the series."

The knot can be tied in a span without access to the ends.

I tried this whilst camping out last Thursday night. It was used in the ridge line of my tarp in order to provide tension. The next day I came to undo it and found that indeed it was remarkably easy to untie.

I shall try and attach an illustration.

Steve

Attachments

• span-loop.jpg
    span-loop.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 91

Guilty

Aug 4, 2008
Croydon
Great tutorial Chris,

As an adendum. I tend to leave my ridgeline attached to my tarp. When packing I fold the whole thing and roll toward the ridge and then leave one end of my ridgeline (always the same one) hanging out of the bag. I then wrap this around the bag and tuck the end under.

This means that when i set up again, my 1st securing knot is done before I take the tarp out of the bag. This stops it dragging on the ground, through thorns etc. and makes it easier to handle in high winds and stuff.

Hope this helps

Mark

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Great tutorial Chris,

As an adendum. I tend to leave my ridgeline attached to my tarp. When packing I fold the whole thing and roll toward the ridge and then leave one end of my ridgeline (always the same one) hanging out of the bag. I then wrap this around the bag and tuck the end under.

This means that when i set up again, my 1st securing knot is done before I take the tarp out of the bag. This stops it dragging on the ground, through thorns etc. and makes it easier to handle in high winds and stuff.

Hope this helps

Mark

You could look at it the other way too Mark, tying the ridgeline separately allows you to leave the tarp in a dry bag, once the line is up you clip one end on and move to the other end. You can even clip the dry bag onto the ridgeline to keep it up off the floor and then slide it down.

I've done both ways and now I'm back to leaving the ridgeline attached permanently, I've got a silnylon tarp which packs down tiny, with a 2mm ridgeline hanked up it takes no space at all. I do one end of the ridge first leaving everything else in the bag, I then take the other end of the ridge and tie that up, what I end up with is my ridgeline up and nice and taught, with my tarp still covered up in the bag clipped on the line.
Putting away is much the same, gather the tarp at one end of the ridge, stuff it all into a sack leaving just the ridgeline out, clip it on the rdigeline and then untie each end, hank up the cord and away you go.

Guilty

Aug 4, 2008
Croydon
I like what you are saying Rich.
I am aiming to get a larger tarp over the winter (I currently use an '8 tarp) and am looking at the separate ridgeline/tarp setup scenario. I am a big fan of knots and only use Ribena's to act as a drip loop on my DD (my Hennesy has a snakeskin).

Any comments on how best to set up/pack down using knots will be greedily consumed and tested to within an inch of their life >;o)

Mark

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Excellent tutorial and photographs Chris.

In my case a quick and easy and dependable rig is what is needed,

First knot is a falconers, next is a slipped buntline hitch then all guys, tensioners etc are rolling hitches.

Whatever one uses it must be something one can put up in a couple of minutes and, if necesary take down and put up again in a pitch black night when the head torch fails

The pictures strike me as being particularly clear. You must have put a lot of thought into that, Chris.

In 1986 my wife gave me a copy of The Ashley Book of Knots. I browse through it occasionally looking for interesting items. One that caught my eye a few weeks ago is The Span Loop (number 1049 in that book). Clifford Ashley writes "This is exceptionally easy to untie and is, moreover, one of the strongest and most secure of the series."

The knot can be tied in a span without access to the ends.

I tried this whilst camping out last Thursday night. It was used in the ridge line of my tarp in order to provide tension. The next day I came to undo it and found that indeed it was remarkably easy to untie.

I shall try and attach an illustration.

Steve

that looks very much like an alpine butterfly and they are great for creating a fixed loop in a rope

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Great Tutorial Chris..Thank you
I've been out of the game for a while so I will be inwardly digesting this over the next few days to get myself back up to speed again...cheers :)

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Great tutorial there C –Claycomb.
very clear instructions and great images of the knots.
I just got a tarp and was wondering what was the best way to attach it to the ridgeline to the tarp, prussic it is then

Ps That’s a lovely part of Hemel Hampstead you have there, reminds me of the midge infested hellhole I like to camp @ in Jockland..;)
Well done Chris cheers Bro.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Oops sorry Chris just reread through the tutorial again not prussic knot.
I already carry some gutted paracord so that’s handy, I will use that for the ridge line loops with the Cow Hitch “Lark’s head” and just leave them on.
Cheers again and good luck @ the next Bushmoot.

May 18, 2015
Doncaster
On the first tree I tie a siberian(evenk) hitch, at the second tree, I tie an alpine butterfly in the ridge line about 2ft from the tree, go round the tree and the loose working end goes through the alpine butterfly (this gives the mechanical advantage much like in the previous photos), pull the working end back towards the tree and secure with a slippery half hitch, everythings always come undone easily for me

Henlow

May 26, 2015
Luton
Always been useless at tying knots even with instructions. Some good pointers here so I'm going to use a couple of your suggestions to repair my sofa (couch).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE