Correct birch bark for fire starter?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Good afternoon,

I recently collected some birch bark from a couple of young trees on my land, and whilst it did catch from a firesteel eventually, it took a heck of a lot of striking to get it going (I routinely light Vaseline cotton balls on the first strike), we're talking minutes of striking here.

Is it too young? Or when it's peeling itself off like this, is it perfect? Rob Evans Bushtool for scale.

37927-img-20170713-132259-jpg

Any suggestions at all would be much appreciated.

Hugh

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
I find silver birch seems to work best, but maybe that's because its very easy to find in my area. Did you scrape the surface of the bark into a light powder before trying to spark it? Its very important to increase the surface area like that, but also because it releases the turps which is contained in the bark. That is what makes it very flammable and easy to light, but also means that it takes forever to rot away. It should work even if it isnt perfectly dry.

Cheers, Bob

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
You need to crumble it up, as it is the edges that catch fire best.
The birch you are using is a variety I am not familiar with. Ornamental?

Last edited by a moderator:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It looks like very young paper bark.
That will work, but it needs crumpled up or shredded. It's too thin really to scrape some dust together from it.
I usually mix that kind in with other tinders that catch easily (like reedmace fluff, bog cotton, fluffed mugwort, even dried grass) in a kind of teacup sized nest and spark into that. That said, if you pile up the other stuff on top of some of the paper bark sheets it'll wrap easily around your glowing bundle into a thick cigar that you can hold to blow through to make it flame :)

juliojordio1983

Forager
Oct 15, 2015
Blackpool
You want the really thin outer layer that's dry and wispy and almost looks seethrough, this stuff takes a spark easily. Look for little wispy bits you can pull off by hand, rub a handful between your palms over a surface and the bits that fall through will light easy.

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
I find silver birch seems to work best, but maybe that's because its very easy to find in my area. Did you scrape the surface of the bark into a light powder before trying to spark it? Its very important to increase the surface area like that, but also because it releases the turps which is contained in the bark. That is what makes it very flammable and easy to light, but also means that it takes forever to rot away. It should work even if it isnt perfectly dry.

Cheers, Bob

No scraping of any sort, just crumpled into a nest-like bunch. I'll have a crack at scraping it, though it is extremely thin. Thank you

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
It looks like very young paper bark.
That will work, but it needs crumpled up or shredded. It's too thin really to scrape some dust together from it.
I usually mix that kind in with other tinders that catch easily (like reedmace fluff, bog cotton, fluffed mugwort, even dried grass) in a kind of teacup sized nest and spark into that. That said, if you pile up the other stuff on top of some of the paper bark sheets it'll wrap easily around your glowing bundle into a thick cigar that you can hold to blow through to make it flame :)

I'll have a crack at scraping, but as you say, it's incredibly thin.

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
You want the really thin outer layer that's dry and wispy and almost looks seethrough, this stuff takes a spark easily. Look for little wispy bits you can pull off by hand, rub a handful between your palms over a surface and the bits that fall through will light easy.

Another method I'll try, thank you. These are just about as you described in terms of really thin and almost seethrough. But I'll try your 'sieve' method and see what comes of it. Cheers

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Does not look like any Silver Birch I have seen...

I looked it up snd it looks like Chinese Red Barked birch.

It certainly does look like it could be that, but is it not rather hard to tell when they're this young? Silver birch saplings are often reddish in colour (if what I've seen have indeed been silver birches!).

To help ID them, they've been in place for around two years and are now maybe 10-12ft tall, and were perhaps waist height when planted.

juliojordio1983

Forager
Oct 15, 2015
Blackpool
If you find rubbing between your palms doesn't produce much except a ball of bark, try tearing or cutting it into very thin pieces, as I find the more surface area the spark has to catch, the easier it is. If you can separate the layers to single layers, especially the outer layers, even better, its the outer, thinner, drier bits that I look for. I'll collect birch bark whilst out walking, and when home ill do this over the kitchen side, and all the tiny pieces go in my tinder box. I have zero issues getting a spark to catch. Maybe its because I've stored it somewhere very dry and warm, maybe that helps by the time I come to use it, I'm not sure.

Edit to add; They do look a bit red those Hugh. Certainly differ from the young Silver Birch up here. If its peeling off, and it is a silver birch, it should be spot on....

Last edited:

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I think comparing against cotton wool can give you a warped sense of ease / difficulty. Cotton wool being so fine, it catches with extreme ease.

Done correctly I would expect birch bark to go quickly too but at times not so instant as cotton wool - certainly not minutes!

As a comparison, have you ever tried to use a ferro rod to light paper or fine wood? Again, done correctly I wouldn't expect those to be minutes either.

Maybe try this bark lit from a match / lighter to get a feel for it with an easy ignition source?

Reactions: Toddy

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
If you find rubbing between your palms doesn't produce much except a ball of bark, try tearing or cutting it into very thin pieces, as I find the more surface area the spark has to catch, the easier it is. If you can separate the layers to single layers, especially the outer layers, even better, its the outer, thinner, drier bits that I look for. I'll collect birch bark whilst out walking, and when home ill do this over the kitchen side, and all the tiny pieces go in my tinder box. I have zero issues getting a spark to catch. Maybe its because I've stored it somewhere very dry and warm, maybe that helps by the time I come to use it, I'm not sure.

Edit to add; They do look a bit red those Hugh. Certainly differ from the young Silver Birch up here. If its peeling off, and it is a silver birch, it should be spot on....

I'm off on a camp out this weekend, so I'll give it a crack. Still got a bunch with me to keep trying it as a non-manufactured source (much more satisfying!) so I'll give your suggestions a go.

It certainly does look red! Janne could very well be correct.

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
I think comparing against cotton wool can give you a warped sense of ease / difficulty. Cotton wool being so fine, it catches with extreme ease.

Done correctly I would expect birch bark to go quickly too but at times not so instant as cotton wool - certainly not minutes!

As a comparison, have you ever tried to use a ferro rod to light paper or fine wood? Again, done correctly I wouldn't expect those to be minutes either.

Maybe try this bark lit from a match / lighter to get a feel for it with an easy ignition source?

Agreed on cotton wool (especially coated in vaseline) being a bit of an unfair marker. I typically light feathered pine sticks after just a couple of strikes, so I've been somewhat spoiled with ready catchers of the ferro's sparks.

Good point on the lighter. Off to try.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Much older birch bark is multilayered. We try to separate those layers as every layer is saturated with the waxy 'suberin' and very flammable.
It's very hard to get a chunk of it up to ignition temperature. Just shredded like spaghetti isn't good enough. Like a feather stick.
You have to delaminate the stuff.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE