Cord color?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

faca

Forager
Dec 10, 2003
SPAIN
Hello I need your knowledge.
Which is the best color cord to use in snares and tramp?
I ask that becouse I like to use blaze orange cord becouse easier to locate after.
I have read that some animals like bucks have black and white vison so the don´t see this so luminous colors lize blaze orange vests used to hunt them.
Is the soma case for rabbits and birds?.
Should be good a good idea to scrap with herbs this cord to avoid human smell or better use ground?
Enjoy

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
The traditional colour that is used is a muddy red/brown.... That is the colour most people use for their purse nets (to catch rabbits) and gillnets (poaching large ampounts of fish), so it will work fine with snares I should think.

I'm not 100% on animal colour vision but I think you are correct with what you say.

As for scent..... well Rabbits have a very good sense of smell, they will avoid snares with 'fresh' scent on them, unless you chase them through. After setting a snare you may have to leave it a few day for the scent to wear off a little. I have had some success by burying my snares for a day or two, then only handleing them with gloves when taking them out and setting them.

Trying to cover the scent of humans by scraping herbs on the snare probably will 'not' work... you are just adding another scent.... the rabbit will still smell human...... Actualy the rabbits nose is that good that it can smell freshly cut snare sticks.... so make sure all the sticks you use to hold your snare are either old, or burried till they stain.... to get the 'freshness' out of them.

Sorry about rambling on and on.... hope this is of some help.

:)
Ed

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
rabbits along with most nocturnal animals only see in black and white

the colour of your purse nets and snares therfore does not really matter (dark colors such as red, brown, green etc will appear to a rabbit as black or dark gray, light colours such as yellow, white etc will appear light gray or white)

if you want to see how the animal will see your snare/net then photoscopy it!

purse nets can be any colour you like as not only can the rabbit not tell what colour it is but he will be running to fast to notice it even if he could

fish however see in color and have a larger visual spectrum of colours than humans they can see futher into the infared sectrum and ultra violet spectrum

the most popular color for river nets is muddy red

many people will tell you that this is because red is the first colour to be absorbed by water and so the net will be invisable underwater

this is NOT TRUE the red sectrum is not absorbed in water untill 4.5m (much deeper than you are going to put your net in a river)

and even at this depth it will NOT become invisable as the red spectrum is lost it will just turn black!

the real reason why muddy brown works well in rivers is due to the large amount of organic matter carried in suspention by the water

the organic matter in the water is yellow and this colour acts as a filter removing the blue secturm first then the green etc leaving the red/brown
this is why under water the river looks muddy red

and so muddy red nets are camoflaged the same colour as the river

when the river water meets the sea the yellow organic matter is dilutied making the water appear green (this is why the sea around the coast appears green) and when diluted enought by the sea to have no effect
the water returns to its normal absorbtion of colours which is why open sea is blue

the visual spectrum of birds i belive depends on the species

As Ed pointed out scent is a much more important consideration for your snares

if time allows your stakes should be cut and left in soil for a few days
if not rub soil into the fresh cuts

Gary gave me an intresting tip regarding descenting snares buy a pair of gloves which you will use only for setting snares

rub rabbit droppings into the surface of the gloves and use these gloves to make and set your snares

finally do not keep your snares in the house because they will pick up the human scent leave them in your shed outside

I hope this helps

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE