Coracle and paddle build (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Wow, hi folks, well it surely has been a while since i last posted on here, i hope all is good with everyone, and your all busy shrafting away.
As for me, well i,m still plugging away, getting out and creating stuff, anyway i waffle.

So, i have been busy with my latest project, i have been making a coracle and carving a paddle for it, and i thought you may like to cast an eye over it.

I cut the Hazel, just as the leaves were staring to show, then bundled them up and left them to start to dry out.

Whilst the Hazel was drying, i made the seat. I decorated it by burning in my design, the fish, i hope will bring me luck whilst casting a line from the Coracle.

Once the Hazel had dried a little, i marked out the diameter, on the ground, with small sticks, then i pushed in the large Hazel wands.

Next, i wove a small skirt around the frame, and then put on the seat, which is upside down, then i used a blow torch to heat the wands up, to make them supple. Using a dry heat source instead of steaming them, helps to drive out the moisture, which will help in reducing shrinkage of the wands, as they dry out. Once heated it was time for some manipulation.

Next it was time to put weight onto the frame to help create a flat bottom. The flatter the bottom, the more stable it will be once floating on water.

After a day or so, i removed the weight, and repeated process with the rest of the frame wands, and back on with the weight again.

Again a couple of days later, weight removed, i square lashed the frame poles together, then i wove more wands to increase the skirt.

Now i removed the Coracle frame from the ground, and trimmed the wand ends which had been buried in the ground, to make neat.

The next job was to put a foot well in and then sew a cover on, the cover is just a cheap tarp, for now, but i will eventually cover it with a Deer hide.

After the cover was in place, it was time to tackle the paddle. The wood i cut was a downed seasoned Spruce, so that became the paddle.
Hewed.

Marked.

And then axed out to shape.

So after some graft,and a lot of sanding, i burned in my paddle design.

And the end result. One Coracle and paddle.

The designs together.

A close up of the paddle.

And closer again.

Well all that,s left to do is take it out for a spin on the water, which I'll do soon, once my hands stop hurting from all the sewing. :rolleyes:

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to look.

Cheers Stuart.

Last edited:

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Wow, now that is impressive. Both the coracle and the pyrography (or however it's spelled :eek: )

Yep, need to see it afloat now please. Preferably with a few practice fall ins, before you master it :p

Great work!

andibs

Forager
Jan 27, 2012
S. Yorks
Great job and absolutely love the design on the paddle. Did you do it free hand or did you find a stencil / transfer. Only asking as making a paddle is going to be one of my winter projects

Andy

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Great job Stuart, I really like coracles and keep meaning to have a go at making one myself.
I quite like those calico and tar painted covers that used to be on them if I dont get the skins sorted for mine.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks, many thanks for the kind comments, and yes i will get pics of it in use :canoe: :fishing:.

Beautiful work Stuart :D and a really clear set of photos too :approve:
May the fish just want to jump into it for you :D

atb,
Mary

Thanks Mary, i do so hope the fish like it so much, they throw themselves in :).

Great job and absolutely love the design on the paddle. Did you do it free hand or did you find a stencil / transfer. Only asking as making a paddle is going to be one of my winter projects

Andy

Hi Andy, thanks, i did a bit of both for the designs, i drew up the pics individually, then traced them, and finally got the placing right on the paddle before burning in.

Thanks again.
Cheers Stuart.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That's a lovely job Stuart, real mix of art & craft. Hope you fill her to near sinking with fish mate, looking forward to the action shots like the others.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE