Coracle and paddle build (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
very cool stuff, thanks for sharing it looks great, can't wait to see it on the water

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks, again many thanks for the kind comments. For those interested i have uploaded a video of the build, onto my YouTube channel.
[video=youtube;pzRJQcz7r98]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzRJQcz7r98&list=UUbUb DCTS5ONebpI_OoFtUhg[/video]

Thanks for looking.
Cheers Stuart.

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Impressed by that, and another thing to add to the later-when-I-get-round-to-it-list :)

Really liking the burnt pictures too, the one on the paddle is awesome.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's one of the best things I've seen for ages, Stuart. Great project and great vid. to go with it.............Bon Voyage, is that what they say for maiden voyages? :)

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Cheers for the video link, i was gutted we never got to see you paddling at the end of it though, you made it look too easy to make, sitting here trying to work out how i can make one inside my 18floor city flat in my shed/bike garage/living room

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Saw this in the flesh, fresh from its sea trials, the other week a very practical work of art, well done Stuart, have you managed to overcome the stability issues and what did you do?

Cheers

JFW

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
coracle and stability.....don't really go together :D

The Teifi Coracle has good primary stability - but lousy secondary stability!
Windage is a huge problem but they can go pretty fast when you are going downstream with the wind ahind you :)

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Thanks once again for the comments folks.

Hi Andy, i just used a cheap tarp from a discount store, i have a Red Deer hide that will eventually be the cover.
Thanks.
Cheers Stuart.

Thanks Stuart, been wanting to have a crack at one of these for years!

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks, once again many thanks for the kind words. Tony thank you for making an article of my post, much appreciated.

Well ok so, i see a lot of folks wanted to see it on the water, so yesterday she finally saw me taking her out for a spin, stability was an issue but i used a little cunning to help me out. I know the purist out there might recoil in horror, but necessity is the mother of invention, and i wanted out on the water, not in the water ;).

Anyway i hope you enjoy the video I've uploaded onto my YouTube channel.

[video=youtube;DTgDOsMnjVE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTgDOsMnjVE&feature=yo utu.be[/video]

Thanks for watching.
Cheers Stuart.

Lupis

Forager
Dec 12, 2009
Scotland
That looks really good. My only suggestion would have been to make the sticks connecting the stabiliser (wooden pole that sits in the water) to the other poles a bit shorter,
so it's not pushing the coracle up so much at that side. But as I know hee haw about coracles there may be a reason you need it that way? Good job anyway and I like the
creative thinking to the problem.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Thought the stabilisers looked really weird and are totally unecessary. Shame because the build, decoration and the boat are brilliant.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE