Copper for flaking tool

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
For his own strange reasons the middle son (8) has decided that flint knapping is something he wants to do so I have been getting together some bits to help him. We already had child sized safety goggles and work gloves and he can use my leather apron (so long as he doesn't try to walk in it!). Getting a face mask to fit properly is a bit fiddly but can be done. From the antler I picked up I've made a presure flaker and am in the process of making a billet (need to make a wooden handle to extend it as the bit I had left is asomewhat short) I've even dug out a copper mallet that some once gave me that he can have.

I would like to make for him is a copper flaker as they are supposed to be easier to use. I've any amount of brass but for the life of me can't find any copper thats suitable. The books we are using say use a couple of inches of copper earthing cable in a wooden handle but short of sneaking behind the church with a pair of bolt cutters I can't find any.

The local (and usually very good) hardware store was unable to help.

Can anyone suggest a source of suitable copper to make flakers from?

ATB

Tom

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
As Matt S. said, a copper nail is a common source.

Also you can often find 1/4 inch copper bar at electrical supply houses -- they're used for grounding things -- and it's cheap.

Don't worry much about a face mask -- the googles are enough and they're really important.

If your son wants to go really paleo, if can rub a coat of clayish mud on his face and let it dry for protection -- this is what Ishi was seen to do when knapping obsidian which can shoot off all manner of little flakes. I don't bother though, goggles are enough.

You son will love knapping. It takes time to learn, but it's a great thing to do.

Remind him that when he's doing this, he's joining a human tradition of working stone tools that is more than 2 million years old.

That's big magic.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers folks, sound advice there. I'll see if theres a chandlers around here as they should do copper nails, if not I will have to order some online.

ATB

Tom

andythecelt

Nomad
May 11, 2009
Planet Earth
You can get copper punches that are ideal too, they're thick and taper to a flat point (if that makes sense) so don't need a handle, I've used them for years working metal and never bent one yet.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Thanks for all the input folks. I had a extended dinner and trawled round all the possible sources in Accrington and eventually found some copper earthing rods in a electrical supplies shop. I picked up two 4 foots lengths, one just over a half inch wide and the other about a third so I have a life times supply! The 1/3 inch one was about 5 quid including the vat.

So what do you reckon is the best shape/dimensions of the working end of a presure flaker? I'll make handles to fit my and the lads hands and will look for a suitable "7" shaped bit of wood to make a hammer out of the 1/2 inch stuff. Theres a tapering screw thread on each end so I may use one of those to fit it into a socket.

ATB

Tom

PS if any one needs any short sections PM us.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Would some one mind posting up a pic of a copper flaker please so I can get my head around its use!
( very interesting!!)
Cheers.
Chris.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Well it won't be me, not in the near future as it would seam that I have been palmed off with "copper bondeded earthing rods" not the pure copper ones I thought I was getting. When I cut sections off to use they were tougher than I expected and the cut surface was a shiny steel colour not the pinkish of fresh copper.

I'm rather miffed about this.

So I will be getting in touch with one of the kind gentlemen who offered to get some real copper.

Not a happy bunny of Waterfoot.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Thanks to the kindness of a forum member I was able to make the lad his pressure flakers, I turned chunky handles to suit his hands from bits of beech rolling pins (a great source of already rounded, seasoned wood to be found on car boots and in charity shops for pence) and battered the 6 mm copper rod on a dinky little modellers anvil, then polished them up on a buffing wheel.

Heres his kit so far.

Knappingkit01.jpg

While they were soaking in linseed oil I knocked up a thigh protector from some nasty leather that was laying about. I'll do something better when I can.

A close up of the flakers.

presureflakers01.jpg

Now to find some big lumps of flint!

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Dont know if you would be interested but in the latest issue of 'the searcher' metal detecting magazine there is a short feature on copper points as a possible use in the Bronze age for barbed and tanged arrowhead making.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Now that is interesting.

after 2 years of badgering us we are getting the lad a metal detector this year, you never know he may find one!

Off topic do you know any sites that recomend a good first detector? All his x-mass money is going into it and I have said I will chip in as I've a interest as well.

Cheers!

Tom

Last edited:

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Now that is interesting.

after 2 years of badgering us we are getting the lad a metal detector this year, you never know he may find one!

Off topic do you know any sites that recomend a good first detector? All his x-mass money is going into it and I have said I will chip in as I've a interest as well.

Cheers!

Tom

Hi Tom.There are many good sites for detectors.Have a google.See if you can pick up a copy of the detecting magazines:Searcher and Treasure hunting.There are often reviews of detectors and plenty of shops.Good luck with it,its one of the most absorbing and interesting things ive ever done.If you have any questions dont hesitate to ask as ive been detecting for over 15 years now.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi
we have had a poke about and we are getting (I'm putting half the money up so we get equal rights to it ;-{D) a Viking VK40. Much to my suprise they make them just down the road from where I work so I hope to pick it up on Monday.

I've been collecting stuff for his archeology kit, most was about the house , I bought the 2 riddles and the spade (had to cut a foot off the shaft and slim the grip down rather a lot, Aldi was selling them off for 6.99 a pop)

arcky.jpg

I blame "Time Team" myself!

Can you recomend any beginners books?

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE