Cooking using a wood burner/open fire (newbie)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 22, 2013
DUDLEY
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the site,I've done a fair bit of camping in the past mainly family camping and some motorcycle camping but last weekend spent sometime in a mountain Bothie in North Wales meeting some great people. As I have wood burner which is in constant use I thought this may be a great starting point for practising cooking in the great outdoors ( yes I know I'm in a nice warm house with all the gear).I've at this point done toast,baked spuds, boiled water but am looking for some more adventurous Ideas to practise on.

Any ideas will be much appreciated.

ps hope this is the right section to post this question.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
How about a nice stew of some sort......just chop up whatever meat and/or veg you want....flavour with whatever yo like...beer, brovril, whatever....stick it all in a big pot and put on the stove for a few hours, stirring occasionally and adding beer/water as needed to sto it drying out.

Only a basic idea but not a bad starting point :)

Enjoy :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Anything you can cook on a gas or electric stove you can cook on the top of a wood burner; so, what do you cook on your standard stove?

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
I brown meat off on the cooker and then put the pot on the stove to slow cook. To get the stove top hot enough to fry makes the room uncomfortably hot.

I've made flat bread on the stove top which worked well. Jacket spuds are a favourite though.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
We are often asked for ideas of what to cook on a stove but basically a stove is a stove, woodburner, open fire, gas stove, electric stove, induction ring, paraffin stove, petrol stove... its all the same at the end of the day. The limitations are you as a cook, what can you cook?

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
We are often asked for ideas of what to cook on a stove but basically a stove is a stove, woodburner, open fire, gas stove, electric stove, induction ring, paraffin stove, petrol stove... its all the same at the end of the day. The limitations are you as a cook, what can you cook?

I agree Rick, except an electric hob which is an abomination of a thing and fails to cook anything well. I miss gas :'(

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
anything that gives off heat can be cooked on, My dad was in the RCT, he used to tell of the things they used to cook wrapped in foil wired to the engine or manifold of the lorries while they were on manouvers, aparently a biscuit tin on the exhaust after a night drive was a regular sight to cook the bacon for a quick breakfast

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I agree Rick, except an electric hob which is an abomination of a thing and fails to cook anything well. I miss gas :'(

I'd hate to use electric cookers, my first flat had one, bloody awful thing (the flat and the cooker).

Cooking is a sadly overlooked area for many campers. I've seen some sorry sights in a pot at camp...worse still the poor buggers who cooked it seemed to genuinely enjoy it which begs the question 'what do they eat at home'. My mom started me cooking "You'll never have to rely on woman to eat" sort of thing and we've encouraged our two children to cook from an early age, both are very good cooks now...not as good as me but then very few mortals are;) We should really emphasise cooking at home and perhaps if we did, less people would be buying ready meals and they'd eating better.

I'm on my own tonight so I've got pea and ham soup on the go in a slow cooker.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I'd hate to use electric cookers, my first flat had one, bloody awful thing (the flat and the cooker).

Cooking is a sadly overlooked area for many campers. I've seen some sorry sights in a pot at camp...worse still the poor buggers who cooked it seemed to genuinely enjoy it which begs the question 'what do they eat at home'. My mom started me cooking "You'll never have to rely on woman to eat" sort of thing and we've encouraged our two children to cook from an early age, both are very good cooks now...not as good as me but then very few mortals are;) We should really emphasise cooking at home and perhaps if we did, less people would be buying ready meals and they'd eating better.

I'm on my own tonight so I've got pea and ham soup on the go in a slow cooker.

I have taken friends for their first "Wild camp" out and they have took the mic for bringing Stilton, relish and ciabatta with venison burgers rather than mystery meat and dry rolls. Breadmix steak lamb and veg for stu`s with choritzio and a bunch of wilds added for flavour. Funny none of them carry on taking the mic after their mouths are full. Comments like "this isn't real camping" are met with "your welcome to eat a cold tin of beans if you like..."

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I cook on an electric hob all the time, and have done so now for over 30 years.
It's only as limited as you choose to make it.

Like a campfire, it stays hot longer, unlike gas which goes from on to off.
It heats up a little slower, so does an aga or rayburn, but it's clean, it's easy to use and there are no worries about gas leaks or fumes from open flames.
It's an excellent baking oven and the grill is an even heat right across.

Horses for courses.

M

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I hate my electric cooker(not sure of name but its the one with the glass top that glows red underneath) anyway we cant get gas in the village,well i could do bottled i suppose,but compared to gas, leccy is rubbish you just cant get the same heat when for eg stir frying it almost boil's the stuff in the pan rather than fry's give me gas any day.

ps not a novice been cooking my own food since i was about 12,just hate leccy cookers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE